Taylor Series: What Is the Significance of the a?

In summary, the conversation discusses the physical significance of the variable "a" in a Taylor series expansion. The experts in the conversation mention that "a" represents the point about which the expansion is taken, and changing this point can affect the convergence of the series. They also joke about the different ways to refer to this variable, such as "a" or "x0". The main purpose of a Taylor series is to approximate a function around a given point using a polynomial expression.
abdo799
i watched a lot of videos and read a lot on how to choose it, but i what i can't find anywhere is, what's the physical significance of the a, if we were to draw the series, how will the choice of a affect it?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
What a ? We at PF are bad at telepathy, so we need an example or something to guess what you mean with a...

Variable names are arbitrary. You can call everything you want "a".

Sometimes it is possible to guess what is meant if everyone uses the same variable names, but that is not the case here.

:smile: actually, in a flash of telepathic insight ( and googling 'taylor series' :rolleyes: ) I'm almost sure what abdo means, but rewarding bad practice isn't good practice ...

Likes fresh_42
Probably, Abdo means the ##a## in the representation ##f(x)=\sum_{n=0}^\infty c_n(x-a)^n##. This ##a## is simply the point about which the expansion is taken. The sum will be different, and will perhaps not converge, if we change this point.

For example, expanding ##e^x## about ##0## gives ##e^x=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}x^n/n!## but expanding about ##1## gives ##e^x=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}e(x-1)^n/n!##

hahahahhahaha, sry, it's just that everybody calls the center of the series a, nice video though :D

u see, this is what i love about PF, everybody is friendly enough to joke about it if i made a mistake instead of keep reporting me or removing the thread

Likes mfb
If the series converges to the function everywhere ("infinite" radius of convergence), then the full taylor series is the same everywhere, although the terms look differently - so if you just take a few of them, the approximation will look differently. Typically the approximation is good close to "a".

If the series does not converge to the function everywhere, it can look completely different for different "a".

Without a this the Tylor series and we don't have informations on it ... :biggrin:

ok, it is a stupid joke. As said before I agree assuming ##a## the center of the Taylor series. Physical interpretation is that around ##a## you can approximate, well as you want, your function by a polynomial expressions .. This is good because polynomials are simple to treat instead other functions ...

abdo799 said:
hahahahhahaha, sry, it's just that everybody calls the center of the series a, nice video though :D
I denote it by ##x_0## or when lazy ##c## for centre. So you are wrong, not everybody calls it ##a##.

wrobel said:
he perhaps means this "a":

I don't get it. What "a"?

the aria of the black haired guy consists only of "a-a-a-a-a"

Likes BvU

1. What is a Taylor series?

A Taylor series is a mathematical representation of a function as an infinite sum of terms, with each term representing the derivatives of the function evaluated at a specific point.

2. What is the significance of the "a" in a Taylor series?

The "a" in a Taylor series represents the point at which the function is being approximated. It is also known as the center or expansion point of the series.

3. How is the "a" value chosen in a Taylor series?

The "a" value is typically chosen to be a point where the function and its derivatives are known or easy to compute. It can also be chosen to be a convenient value that simplifies the series.

4. What is the difference between a Taylor series and a Maclaurin series?

A Maclaurin series is a special case of a Taylor series where the center or "a" value is chosen to be 0. This simplifies the series and makes it easier to calculate.

5. What is the practical use of Taylor series in science?

Taylor series are commonly used in science to approximate functions that are difficult to evaluate directly. They are also used in calculus to find the derivatives of functions and to solve differential equations.