Tell me about American schools

• Thread starter ShawnD
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Schools
In summary, in the United States, students attend the school closest to their home until high school, and then may have to pay a fee if they choose to attend a different school in the area. Public schools usually have a cafeteria and library, with lunch costing an average of US$3 to US$7. The cost per pupil for public schools varies greatly by state and district, with some schools receiving more funding than others. While some districts may have a school of choice program, most students are assigned to the school in their designated area. However, there are exceptions such as special charter or magnate schools. Overall, the amount of money spent on a school does not necessarily guarantee success, and there are often issues with how the funds are allocated
BobG said:
The result is that kids have lost that 'Learn physics or die!' mentality.

It's funny because it's true. :biggrin:
A lot of things used to be dangerous, and people would just learn how to use them properly.

Physics news on Phys.org
ShawnD said:
It's funny because it's true. :biggrin:
A lot of things used to be dangerous, and people would just learn how to use them properly.

I usually to seemed to learn quickest by using something improperly. I always work best under pressure. :rofl:

we have somewhat similar problem in israel, with teacher's unions craving for money(though here we don't get anything close to what american children get), though lately they started to fire lots of teachers...

i don't really understand why it is believed that money can solve anyting, its all about the teachers!
in high school i had wonderful teachers which probably don't get payed even close to those in america. the teachers i had liked what they taught, and liked to teach.
though when it came to prepare for a test it was all different, time was spent not on debating(which we had a lot when the test was far) but on rushing on going through all the material in a way that it will be forgotten once the test is over. which brings to think how stupid it is to make schools compete each other by grades, and survive or thrive by grades.

its just wrong.. to make education to a grade market... though i do agree that is should be easier to fire teachers, but it should be estimated not by grades, but by some administrative who knows his people.

heh, my history teacher was shouting her teachings so much until she had a medical problem with her voice, which then led her to wear a device to amplify her voice as she talks quietly. my physics teacher brought weird toys from his home which were related to mechanics. a lot of teachers gave us beyond what they were meant to give, and that's what a good teacher is...

(btw, most schools here suck, the universities say that all they get is raw material, needed to be taught all over again. its good though that universities here have high standards)

(another btw, as for my own learning i don't believe in high school, they may create curiosity but the only things i remember vividly, are the things i learned by myself alone, also i had 3 math courses in the university, i learned it all by myself. its not that I am not bragging or anything, i just can't learn anything by watching someone talk, books are much more useful...)

Last edited:
my favorite teacher was a sub, he would not talk down, when you had a conversation he would not side step touchy issues and he didn't stop explaining until the class understood and could explain back, the way he did it was engrossing and he had the respect of all the kids.

mr. pearson :P

the worst were the yes, no, next types who hated working with kids but loved the fact that they had the summers off and could only be fired with an act of god.i'd have my kids attend a public school but also have some home schooling to reinforce/enhance their education, what passes for high school from what I've seen will leave your kid struggling once they hit college, myself as an example, i shouldn't need years of prep if it was done right the first time.

Last edited:
TuviaDaCat said:
we have somewhat similar problem in israel, with teacher's unions craving for money(though here we don't get anything close to what american children get), though lately they started to fire lots of teachers...

i don't really understand why it is believed that money can solve anyting, its all about the teachers!
/(QUOTE]

exactly my point. I had maybe three or four good teachers from K to 12, and lots more afterwards. It is a gift, that is most obvious here on this forum, where if you spend time in the trenches see plenty of examples on a monthly basis where the most adroit and detailed explanations fall on deaf ears. There is a special skill that allows the moderator/helper to hear the source of uncertainty, and zoom in on it, and the subsequent aha! Then there is the occasional thread that 40 posts out would wear the patience of a saint.

People learn differently, this has been demonstrated time and time again. It seems to me instead of focusing so much attn on test results and trying to find the right level, more emphasis should be placed on determining how a student learns most efficiently, and mating not so much by ability as by learning style, and allowing enuf flexibility in pace to allow the individual to be all s/he can be. We all remamber special teachers I'm sure, but my point is I guess that even if we all had the same, we'd disagree on who was most special. That we don't fund research to a sufficient extent is appaling, esp as we fall into the abyss of mediocrity. And yes, teachers should be paid more, a lot more, so the good ones don't go onto other fields, whether engineering, law, or medicine. I mean what is the most important task but to teach your children well.

Last edited: