Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Temperature and orbital period

1. Dec 2, 2006 #1
    Hi everyone,

was hoping someone could help me to answer a question:

an ateroid has an equilibrium temperature measured as 200 K. What is the object's orbital period around the Sun?

That is the exact wording of that particular question and that's why I am a little stumped.. it also says to base it upon your considerations in question #4, which reads

assuming the Earth's radius is 637 km, the solar constant is 1370 w/m2, and our planetary albedo is 0.31, then:
    (a) determine total power entering Earth's atmosphere
    (b) the total power that would be asborbed in the absence of an atmosphere
    © surface temperature assuming it radiated into space all the energy it absorbed

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2006 #2

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You need to show some work before we can help you. What determines the temperature of an orbiting body? Disregard complicated atmospheric effects. What simple approximation might you make to describe its energy output?

Same here, you need to show some work. What are the units of power? What is the source of the power?

4. Mar 30, 2008 #3
    oops posted too soon, sec let me finish it

5. Mar 30, 2008 #4
    nvm got it :)

Last edited: Mar 30, 2008
  6. Apr 1, 2008 #5
    I do hope that the radius of the Earth is 6370 km

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?