Temperature Change: Sum of Daily Changes

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the change in temperature for each day of the week in May and determining the net change in temperature. The equation for determining the net change is debated, with one person suggesting taking the final temperature minus the initial temperature and another suggesting using a least squares fit to determine the trend of the data. Ultimately, it is determined that the correct answer is 2 degrees.
PrideofPhilly

Homework Statement

The following table shows the daily high tem-
peratures for a week in May. Determine the
change in temperature each day.

Sun. 76◦
Mon. 72◦
Tues. 80◦
Wed. 75◦
Thurs. 75◦
Fri. 74◦
Sat. 78◦

Find the net change in temperature (the
sum of all the temperature changes).

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

I know this seems easy, but I'm not getting the right answer:

Sun. to Mon. = -4 degrees
Mon to Tues. = 8 degrees
Tues. to Wed. = -5 degrees
Wed. to Thurs. = 0 degree
Thurs. to Fri. = -1 degree
Fri. to Sat. = 4 degrees
Sat. to Sun. = -2 degrees

Added them up and got: 0 degree

Am I suppose to just add up the absolute value of the temperature changes?

Physics news on Phys.org
Wouldn't the net change be the temperature on the final day - temperature on the first day, i.e. 2 deg F.

Or if one did a least squares fit to trend the data, and then take the final difference or the sum of the differences to the tread line.

Does the net temperature change = the sum of all the temperature changes?

The Saturday to Sunday change shouldn't be included I don't thing.

2 degrees is right thank you!

1. What is "Temperature Change: Sum of Daily Changes"?

"Temperature Change: Sum of Daily Changes" is a measurement that calculates the total change in temperature over a specific period of time by adding together all the individual temperature changes that occur each day.

2. How is the "Sum of Daily Changes" calculated?

The "Sum of Daily Changes" is calculated by adding together all the temperature changes (both increases and decreases) that occur each day, resulting in a total change in temperature.

3. Why is "Temperature Change: Sum of Daily Changes" important to study?

Studying the "Temperature Change: Sum of Daily Changes" can help scientists understand the overall trend of temperature change over a specific period of time, and can provide valuable information about climate patterns and potential climate change.

4. How is "Temperature Change: Sum of Daily Changes" different from average temperature change?

The "Temperature Change: Sum of Daily Changes" measures the total change in temperature over a specific period of time, while average temperature change calculates the average temperature over a specific period of time. The "Sum of Daily Changes" takes into account all individual temperature changes, while average temperature change only considers the overall average.

5. Can the "Sum of Daily Changes" be used to predict future temperature changes?

While the "Sum of Daily Changes" can provide valuable information about past temperature trends, it cannot accurately predict future temperature changes. Other factors and variables must be taken into consideration for future temperature predictions.