Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tensile Strength & Bending Stress of Metal Sheet

1. Dec 24, 2014 #1
    Dear Friends,

Merry Christmas to All.

I am pleased to join this forum of Physics Experts.

Please advise what is difference between tensile Strength and Bending Stress of Metal Sheets (Generally below 3.00mm and lighter). I very often encounter with cracking of steel sheets while bending in press. Therefore, I wonder if tensile strength has anything to do with bending. Or can any body suggest for some specific test prior to bending. Any help will be great help for me.

Regards.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 24, 2014 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Annealing from the rolling mill, and bend radius are the two major items to examine. Bending radius less than ~ sheet thickness almost guarantees cracking.

4. Dec 24, 2014 #3

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The tensile strength is a property of the material used to make the metal sheet. The value of the strength of the sheet varies with the composition of the alloy used plus any heat treatment. The bending stress depends on the forces and moments applied to the sheet, the thickness of the sheet, etc.

5. Dec 26, 2014 #4
    Hi, thanks for your kind help, Can you guide me, is there any testing machine, wherein we may test the maximum bending angles of steel sheet.
    Regards.

6. Dec 26, 2014 #5

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Rolling mills tend to use the customers as "testing machines" and adjust temperature/annealing as necessary to maintain sales. As far as you, the customer, testing sheet prior to bending for engineering/design purposes, or for directing material within a plant to sharply bent/deeply drawn processing requirements? Bending failure, for a single bending operation, is primarily a tensile failure; tensile test results of sheet/strip are subject more to uncertainties in thickness, than in tensile strength of the material (again, a mill problem), so probably not.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook