Solving Tension Acceleration in Bungee Jump Apparatus

In summary, you are designing a bungee jump apparatus for adults. A jumper falls freely for a while, with the cords slack. Then the jumper falls an additional distance with the cords increasingly tense. You must calculate the tension force and acceleration that the jumper experiences.
mshah3

Homework Statement

You are designing a "bungee jump" apparatus for adults. A bungee jumper falls from a high platform with two elastic cords tied to the ankles. The jumper falls freely for a while, with the cords slack. Then the jumper falls an additional distance with the cords increasingly tense. Assume that you have cords that are 13 m long, and that the cords stretch in the jump an additional 21 m for a jumper whose mass is 80 kg, the heaviest adult you will allow to use your bungee jump (heavier customers would hit the ground).

(c) Focus on the instant of greatest tension and, starting from a fundamental principle, determine the spring stiffness ks for each of the two cords.
ks = N/m

(d) What is the maximum tension that each one of the two cords must support without breaking? (This tells you what kind of cords you need to buy.)
FT = N

(e) What is the maximum acceleration |ay| = |dvy/dt| (in "g's") that the jumper experiences? (Note that |dpy/dt| = m|dvy/dt| if v is small compared to c.)
|ay| = g's (acceleration in m/s2 divided by 9.8 m/s2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm very lost as far as where to go with this problem. Any direction as to where to start and steps to follow would be great. THANKS.

Physics news on Phys.org
Could you try a conservation of energy for part C? Choose someplace to be your reference point where all the energy is potential, then, at the bottom of the fall, all of that energy has been transferred to spring potential energy.

im not sure what u mean by this...could you please elaborate a bit about the potential energy concept/equation that u are talking about...thanks

Well, the jumper falls from a height of 13 m before the cords begin to tighten. When they do, the jumper falls another 21 m, which is the maximum fall distance, where the tension in the cords is the greatest, and where the jumper momentarily stops at the bottom. You can choose this bottom point to be the reference point where there is no potential energy; it is all in the form of spring potential energy. There is only potential energy when the jumper is at the top of the cliff.

mgh=(kx^2)/2. You know h, you know m, and you know x.

oh ok so this is the calculation i did, let me know if its correct(i only have one submission left):

mgh=(ks^2)/2

(80)(9.8)(34) = (k)(21^2) / 2

k = 120.8888 N/m

*also, any ideas for tension force or acceleration?

*i tried Ft=kx = 392N and acceleration = change in velocity / change in time = 4.9

*these values were incorrect though, and I am not sure what else to use for it

THANKS

Hmm, now I'm wondering if you need to divide that k by two since you have two bungee cords. Maybe someone else knows?

yeah that might make more sense because i submitted 120.8888 N/m and it was incrrect.

so the correct k = 60.4444 ?

Probably. I don't know what sort of assignment this is but if you don't lose points for submitting wrong answers, I would try it.

If you do lose points, I would wait for a second opinion.

ok...well 120 didnt work so 60 is my best guess now

any help for tension force or acceleration?

the force isn't simply mass times 9.8 is it?

or is it stiffness times stretch?

does anyone know how to find the tension force or acceleration?

Related to Solving Tension Acceleration in Bungee Jump Apparatus

1. How does tension affect acceleration in a bungee jump apparatus?

Tension is the force that pulls on an object, and in the case of a bungee jump apparatus, it is the force that pulls on the jumper's body. When the tension is increased, the acceleration of the jumper also increases. This is because the tension pulls the jumper downwards, causing a greater acceleration towards the ground.

2. What factors affect the tension in a bungee jump apparatus?

There are several factors that can affect the tension in a bungee jump apparatus. These include the length and elasticity of the bungee cord, the weight and shape of the jumper, and the distance between the jumper and the anchor point. The greater the length and elasticity of the bungee cord, the higher the tension will be. Similarly, a heavier and more aerodynamic jumper will experience more tension. The distance between the jumper and the anchor point also plays a role, as a shorter distance will result in a higher tension.

3. How can the tension and acceleration be calculated in a bungee jump apparatus?

The tension and acceleration in a bungee jump apparatus can be calculated using Newton's second law of motion, which states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. In this case, the tension is the net force pulling on the jumper's body, and the acceleration can be calculated by dividing the net force by the jumper's mass.

4. What safety measures should be taken to ensure the proper tension and acceleration in a bungee jump apparatus?

To ensure the proper tension and acceleration in a bungee jump apparatus, it is crucial to use high-quality bungee cords that are specifically designed for bungee jumping. The length and elasticity of the bungee cord should also be carefully chosen based on the weight and shape of the jumper. Additionally, regular maintenance and inspections of the apparatus are necessary to ensure it is in good working condition.

5. How can the tension and acceleration be adjusted in a bungee jump apparatus?

The tension and acceleration in a bungee jump apparatus can be adjusted by changing the length and elasticity of the bungee cord, as well as the distance between the jumper and the anchor point. By increasing or decreasing these factors, the tension and acceleration experienced by the jumper can be altered. It is essential to carefully calculate and test these adjustments to ensure the safety and effectiveness of the bungee jump apparatus.