Tension Along Rope with Masses

In summary, the problem involves four blocks of mass m1=1kg, m2=2kg, m3=3kg, and unknown mass m4 on a frictionless surface. Force Fl pulls to the left at 30N and Fr pulls to the right at 50N. The tension between m2 and m3 is 36N. Two different methods were used to solve for m4, with one resulting in m4=5kg and the other resulting in m4=-10kg. After discussing the problem, it was determined that the correct solution is m4=4kg.
zaper
I've worked through this problem a few different ways now and each one gives me different answers and I am looking for some guidance as to which is correct:

Four blocks of mass m1=1kg, m2=2kg, m3=3kg (very original right?), and unknown mass m4 are on a frictionless surface (pic attached). Force Fl pulls in the left direction at 30N and Fr to the right at 50N. The tension between m2 and m3 is 36N. What is m4?

As I worked through the problem I labeled all tensions as shown in the picture. I know T1=30N and T5=50N. My biggest problem arises from whether T3=36N or if 2*T3=36N.

The first time I did this problem I used 2*T3-36N or T3=18N. Then using Newton's 2nd law I set up the equations T2-T1=m1*a, T3-T2=m2*a, and so forth. Using this method I got that a=4m/s2 to the right and m4=5kg.

The second time I did this I used T3=36N and using the same equation setup as before I got a=2m/s2 to the left which seemed plausible, however using T5-T4=m4*a I ended up with m4=-10kg which seems not so plausible.

Any suggestions?

Attachments

• 4.4.png
    4.4.png
    6.8 KB · Views: 485
Physics news on Phys.org
T3 = 36N not 2x36N... it is pulling with 36N to the right on the combination (m1+m2) and pulling with 36N to the left on the combination (m3+m4)
You are given the tension between m2 and m3 to be 36N so (m1+m2) experience a resultant force to the right of what?... can you see that and calculate the acceleration of (m1 and m2).
Once you know the acceleration you can apply resultant force on (m3+m4) to calculate m4

So since m1+m2=3kg and the experience a force of 6N then a=2.

Then m3 and m4 experience 14N so

14=(m3+m4)*2 => 14=6+2*m4 => 8=2*m4 => 4kg=m4?

Is that right?

that is exactly what I got

It seems like you have approached the problem correctly, but there may be a mistake in your calculations. Here are a few things to check:

1. Make sure you are using the correct signs for the tensions. The tension T3 should be pointing to the right, since it is pulling on a mass to the right. This means that T3 should be positive in your equations.

2. Double check your equations to make sure you are using the correct masses and accelerations. For example, when setting up the equation T3-T2=m2*a, make sure you are using the correct mass for m2 and the correct acceleration for the system.

3. It may be helpful to draw a free body diagram for each block to visually represent the forces acting on it. This can help you keep track of the correct signs and values for each tension.

4. If you are still getting conflicting answers, try solving the problem using a different method or approach to see if you get the same result. Double checking your work and trying different methods can help you identify any errors or mistakes.

Overall, the most important thing is to carefully check your work and make sure you are using the correct values and signs for each tension. Good luck!

What is tension along a rope with masses?

Tension along a rope with masses refers to the force that is exerted on a rope when it is being pulled at both ends by masses or objects. This force is responsible for keeping the rope taut and preventing it from breaking or stretching.

How is tension calculated in a rope with masses?

Tension can be calculated in a rope with masses using the equation T = mg, where T represents the tension, m is the mass of the object, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This formula assumes that the rope is massless and does not stretch.

Does the tension in a rope with masses change if the masses are moved?

Yes, the tension in a rope with masses will change if the masses are moved. This is because the tension is directly proportional to the mass of the objects pulling on the rope. If the masses are moved closer to each other, the tension will increase, and if they are moved farther apart, the tension will decrease.

What factors can affect the tension in a rope with masses?

The tension in a rope with masses can be affected by various factors such as the mass of the objects, the distance between the masses, the material and thickness of the rope, and the gravitational force acting on the objects.

Can the tension in a rope with masses ever be greater than the weight of the masses?

Yes, the tension in a rope with masses can be greater than the weight of the masses. This can happen when the masses are being accelerated, for example, if the rope is being pulled upwards with a greater force than the weight of the masses, the tension will be greater than the weight of the masses.