Tension and compression forces on a femur bone

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about determining stress and moment in N/m^2. The equations provided were solved incorrectly and the correct equations should be used to solve for each variable. The use of N*mm^-2, or MPa, is acceptable as long as units are properly tracked. However, the final answer given did not include any units.
mishelhad
Summary:: Hello all,
I need help with this question, ill attach the equations i managed to solve.
How do i continue from there?

Screenshot_20210617-003639_Samsung Notes.jpg
Screenshot_20210617-003639_Samsung Notes.jpg
IMG-20210616-WA0024.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
The stress should be expressed as N/m^2.

I have no idea how you determined the moment, but it certainly is not determined by the equation that you employed. It should be the force times the moment arm.

Likes berkeman
Looks like they found the axial stress and set it equal to the bending stress, which is incorrect. They should each be solved for by their respective equations.

I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with N*mm^-2, which is MPa, as long as the units are properly tracked. That said, the final answer doesn't even have any units with it.

1. What are tension and compression forces on a femur bone?

Tension and compression forces are types of mechanical forces that act on a femur bone, which is the largest and strongest bone in the human body. Tension forces pull the bone apart, while compression forces push the bone together.

2. What causes tension and compression forces on a femur bone?

Tension forces on a femur bone can be caused by activities such as running, jumping, or lifting heavy objects. Compression forces can be caused by the weight of the body or by external forces, such as a fall or impact.

3. How do tension and compression forces affect the femur bone?

Tension and compression forces can cause stress and strain on the femur bone. If these forces are too great, they can lead to fractures or other injuries. However, these forces are also necessary for the bone to maintain its strength and density.

4. How does the femur bone adapt to tension and compression forces?

The femur bone is a dynamic structure that can adapt to the forces placed upon it. When subjected to tension forces, the bone will remodel and strengthen itself to better withstand those forces. Similarly, compression forces can stimulate bone growth and increase density.

5. How can we prevent injuries from tension and compression forces on the femur bone?

To prevent injuries, it is important to maintain a healthy lifestyle and engage in activities that promote bone strength and density. This includes regular exercise, a balanced diet rich in calcium and vitamin D, and avoiding activities that put excessive stress on the femur bone.