Tension in System: 4.22 kN | Working Explained

In summary, the conversation is about finding the tension in member CD in a frame shown in a diagram. The answer given is 4.22kN and the working involves using arc tan, cosine, and Pythagoras' theorem. However, the diagram is unclear and the speaker is not sure about the various distances and points in space. The speaker also mentions being asked to find the tension in members AD and BD but has only found the tension in CD. The book provides a verbal description of the problem and asks to determine the load in each member of the frame.
goldfish9776

Homework Statement

I was asked to find the tension in CD in this question . The ans given is 4.22kN.
my working is arc tan (surd 13)/12, tetha = 16.7 degree
CD cos (16.7) = 20kN
CD= 21kN.
p/s: i have used pythagora's theorem to fe the surd 13

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• DSC_0073[1].JPG
    DSC_0073[1].JPG
    30.7 KB · Views: 359
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think there can be tension in member CD.

goldfish9776 said:

Homework Statement

I was asked to find the tension in CD in this question . The ans given is 4.22kN.
my working is arc tan (surd 13)/12, tetha = 16.7 degree
CD cos (16.7) = 20kN
CD= 21kN.
p/s: i have used pythagora's theorem to fe the surd 13

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The diagram is very unclear. I'm not sure what the various distances refer to, or where the A and B points are in space. Is there a verbal description that goes with it?

paisiello2 said:
I don't think there can be tension in member CD.
actually I'm asked to find tension in CD, AD , and BD. I've found Cd only . I have no idea at all for AD and BD

haruspex said:
The diagram is very unclear. I'm not sure what the various distances refer to, or where the A and B points are in space. Is there a verbal description that goes with it?
the book stated ' determine the load in each member of the frame shown in Figure .'

goldfish9776 said:
the book stated ' determine the load in each member of the frame shown in Figure .'
Well, I cannot interpret the diagram. If it is clear to you, please explain your interpretation ( provide co-ordinates for each of the points).

What is tension in a system?

Tension in a system refers to the pulling force exerted by an object or force on another object or force.

How is tension measured?

Tension is typically measured in units of force, such as newtons (N) or kilonewtons (kN). In the given example, the tension is measured in 4.22 kN or 4,220 N.

What factors affect tension in a system?

The factors that affect tension in a system include the magnitude and direction of the force, the properties of the objects or materials involved, and any external or internal forces acting on the system.

Why is understanding tension important?

Understanding tension is important in various fields of science and engineering, such as mechanics, structural analysis, and material science. It allows us to analyze and predict the behavior of objects and systems under different forces and conditions.

How is tension used in practical applications?

Tension is used in various practical applications, such as in bridges, buildings, and machines. It is also important in fields like sports and medicine, where understanding and managing tension can improve performance and prevent injuries.