Tension in rope pulling up a bucket. Thanks

In summary: N, because the bucket is being pulled up at a constant speed and therefore has a constant velocity. This means that the forces acting on it are balanced, so the upward force of tension must be equal to the downward force of gravity (20 N) to maintain this constant velocity. Therefore, the tension in the rope would be equal to the weight of the bucket and its contents (20 N). In summary, when a pail is suspended from a vertical rope and is descending with increasing speed, the tension in the rope will be less than the weight of the pail (4 N) due to the unopposed force of gravity. In the case of a full pail being pulled up at a constant speed, the
nukeman

Homework Statement

"A pail is suspended from a vertical rope, wrapped around a winch, so that the pail can be raised or lowered inside a well.

The weight of the emply pail is 4 N. Suppose the pail is descending vertically with increasing speed. Is the tension in the rope larger than, smaller than, or equal to 4 N? Explain?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I cannt find the reasoning in my textbook for this. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Any help would be great!

Physics news on Phys.org
May I suggest you draw a free body diagram for the bucket when it is at rest. from there you should be able to figure out the reasoning

So I drew a FBD...

There is a force of Gravity(Fg) acting on it, pulling it down.

There is a force of tension(Ft) acting on it, pulling it up, or keeping it in balance.

The pail weighs 4N - And since the pail if descending, the force of Gravity(Fg) is greater.

First off, is what I said above correct?

Since its descending, would the tension be the same? Why?

Thanks!

nukeman said:
The pail weighs 4N - And since the pail if descending, the force of Gravity(Fg) is greater.

That's not correct. The force of gravity is independent of the motion. It depends only upon the masses that are mutually attracting each other.

Sometimes it's helpful to imagine taking situations to their extremes (as a thought experiment). In this case, suppose that the rope were being paid out at a rate that allowed the bucket to fall with its maximum acceleration. That is, g. The bucket would essentially be in free-fall. What would be the tension in the rope in such a case?

gneill said:
That's not correct. The force of gravity is independent of the motion. It depends only upon the masses that are mutually attracting each other.

Sometimes it's helpful to imagine taking situations to their extremes (as a thought experiment). In this case, suppose that the rope were being paid out at a rate that allowed the bucket to fall with its maximum acceleration. That is, g. The bucket would essentially be in free-fall. What would be the tension in the rope in such a case?

Oh...

So, the tension of the rope would be less than 4 N ?

I don't quite understand why the force of gravity is not greater? If it was stationary, that means that the rope holding it and gravity are in balance, like a book on a table.?

Since its falling, would gravity not be larger?

I can see now though that the tension would be in fact lower - Is that correct?

nukeman said:
Oh...

I don't quite understand why the force of gravity is not greater? If it was stationary, that means that the rope holding it and gravity are in balance, like a book on a table.?

Yes the force of gravity on a mass is constant regardless of motion, if its accelerating it simply means the other forces acting on the object do not fully counterbalance the force of gravity so in this case T<Fg so its accelerating

nukeman said:
Oh...

Nope. The force of gravity would be the same. What is less is the force that was holding it from falling! Don't confuse force with motion! If you have two forces that are balanced and holding something stationary and one of those forces is removed, the remaining force didn't become stronger; it simply became unopposed. :wink:

That is correct.

nukeman said:
Greater than what?

The word descending tells you about the direction the pail is moving; that is, it tells you the way the velocity vector is pointing. However, it doesn't really tell you anything about the direction of the net force on the pail. If this doesn't make sense to you, think about a ball thrown straight up. Half the time, it's ascending; the remaining time, it's descending. Yet the entire time, gravity pulls down on the ball. So you can see the direction of the velocity vector and the direction of the force aren't always the same.

gneill said:
Nope. The force of gravity would be the same. What is less is the force that was holding it from falling! Don't confuse force with motion! If you have two forces that are balanced and holding something stationary and one of those forces is removed, the remaining force didn't become stronger; it simply became unopposed. :wink:

That is correct.

Yes! gotcha!

So my free body diagram would be just Fg and Ft correct? And the Ft arrow would be smaller, since it is falling.

This is not apart of the question, but I am sure it will come up. Lets says the bucket is full of water and now weighs 20N, and now is pulled up at constant speed.

The tension in the rope would be equal to 20 N correct? Why?

nukeman said:
Yes! gotcha!

So my free body diagram would be just Fg and Ft correct? And the Ft arrow would be smaller, since it is falling.

This is not apart of the question, but I am sure it will come up. Lets says the bucket is full of water and now weighs 20N, and now is pulled up at constant speed.

The tension in the rope would be equal to 20 N correct? Why?

Newton's first law -- if velocity is constant then no net forces are acting; the forces must be balanced, equal and opposite. The rope tension must balance the weight.

gneill said:
Newton's first law -- if velocity is constant then no net forces are acting; the forces must be balanced, equal and opposite. The rope tension must balance the weight.

oh I see...so yea it would be equal to 20 N then...

What do you mean by opposite?

nukeman said:
oh I see...so yea it would be equal to 20 N then...

What do you mean by opposite?

Opposite, as in directly opposed, in opposite directions.

1. What is tension in a rope?

Tension in a rope refers to the force exerted by the rope when it is pulled or stretched. In the context of pulling up a bucket, the tension in the rope is the force that is required to lift the weight of the bucket.

2. How is tension calculated in a rope?

Tension can be calculated using the formula T = mg + ma, where T is the tension in the rope, m is the mass of the object being lifted (in this case, the bucket), g is the acceleration due to gravity, and a is the acceleration of the bucket. In most cases, the acceleration of the bucket is negligible, so the formula can be simplified to T = mg.

3. What factors affect the tension in a rope when pulling up a bucket?

The tension in a rope when pulling up a bucket is affected by several factors, including the weight of the bucket, the length and thickness of the rope, the angle at which the rope is pulled, and any external forces acting on the bucket, such as wind or friction.

4. Can the tension in a rope be greater than the weight of the object being lifted?

Yes, the tension in a rope can be greater than the weight of the object being lifted. This is because the tension in the rope also has to overcome the force of gravity acting on the object, as well as any other external forces.

5. How can tension in a rope be reduced when pulling up a heavy bucket?

One way to reduce tension in a rope when pulling up a heavy bucket is to use a pulley system. This allows the weight of the bucket to be distributed among multiple ropes, reducing the tension in each individual rope. Additionally, using a thicker and stronger rope can also help to reduce tension.