Finding Tension in Simple Pendulum at 20 Degrees Angle | Physics Homework

In summary, the equation for centripetal force is Ft*cos(θ), where θ is the angle at which the object is moving. If the object is moving horizontally, there is no centripetal force and the resultant is just gravity. If the object is moving in an arc, the centripetal force is different depending on the angle at which it is moving.
PhoniexGuy

Homework Statement

http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/1551/filevno.jpg

I have to find the tension for the rope when angle is 20 degrees, the object is moving back and forth. I know the mass is 2kg, gravity is 10N/kg

Homework Equations

F_t * cos θ = mg.

So F_t = mg/cos θ

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem seemed trivial, but I wanted to make sure I got it right: Using F_t = mg/cos θ

F_t = 2*10/cos θ = 20/cos20 = 21.3 N

Is this right or wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
No, you have it inverted. The block will be accelerating, partly downwards, so T is not overcoming the whole of g.
For now I'll assume the tension is wanted at max amplitude. The trick is to realize that the string length is constant, so when the velocity is momentarily 0 there's no radial acceleration. So resolve forces in the radial direction instead.
If it's not at max amplitude then there is a centripetal acceleration, increasing the tension, but there's not enough info provided to calculate that.

The object moves in the horizontal direction, back and forth. So there can be horizontal acceleration: The resultant force is horizontal. See attachment: I drew the forces, weight (G), T (tension) and the horizontal resultant (F) The shaded angles are equal.G =T cos(20) is right.

ehild

Attachments

• tension.JPG
    tension.JPG
    8 KB · Views: 719
Last edited:
PhoniexGuy said:

Homework Statement

http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/1551/filevno.jpg

I have to find the tension for the rope when angle is 20 degrees, the object is moving back and forth. I know the mass is 2kg, gravity is 10N/kg

Homework Equations

F_t * cos θ = mg.

So F_t = mg/cos θ

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem seemed trivial, but I wanted to make sure I got it right: Using F_t = mg/cos θ

F_t = 2*10/cos θ = 20/cos20 = 21.3 N

Is this right or wrong?
Hi!
Your first equation: Tension*cosθ = mg is wrong.
Instead you can write the equation in the centripetal direction (ie. towards the center).It will be in equilibrium in that direction.
If the block in the pic is in the highest position its' velocity is 0.(if its any generic position velocity should be given)
Now you will get
tension= mgcosθ
Hence you can calculate the tension.

Vineeth T said:
Hi!
Your first equation: Tension*cosθ = mg is wrong.
Instead you can write the equation in the centripetal direction (ie. towards the center).It will be in equilibrium in that direction.
If the block in the pic is in the highest position its' velocity is 0.(if its any generic position velocity should be given)
Now you will get
tension= mgcosθ
Hence you can calculate the tension.

The object moves horizontally. There is no "highest position". As the object moves along a straight line, there is no centripetal force. The resultant of the tension and gravity is horizontal.
Mg = Ftcosθ.
The OP got the correct solution.

ehild

Hmm, perhaps the diagram isn't clear, the object is moving back and forth on the pendulum, but in sort of an arc like so:

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/9210/85456919.png

Does this change anything?

PhoniexGuy said:
Hmm, perhaps the diagram isn't clear, the object is moving back and forth on the pendulum, but in sort of an arc like so:

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/9210/85456919.png

Does this change anything?

In this case, Ft-mgcos(θ)=mv2/L, the centripetal force. If the object is in rest at θ=20° Ft=mgcos(θ), as haruspex and Vineeth said.

ehild

1. What is tension in a simple pendulum?

Tension in a simple pendulum refers to the force that is exerted by the string or rod that holds the pendulum bob in place. It is the force that keeps the pendulum moving in a circular motion.

2. How does tension affect the motion of a simple pendulum?

Tension plays a crucial role in the motion of a simple pendulum. It is responsible for providing the centripetal force that keeps the pendulum moving in a circular path. The greater the tension, the faster the pendulum will swing.

3. What factors affect the tension in a simple pendulum?

The tension in a simple pendulum is affected by the length of the string or rod, the mass of the pendulum bob, and the angle at which the pendulum is released. A longer string or rod will result in a greater tension, while a heavier pendulum bob or a larger release angle will result in a lower tension.

4. How can tension be calculated in a simple pendulum?

The formula for calculating tension in a simple pendulum is T = mgcosθ, where T is the tension, m is the mass of the pendulum bob, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle at which the pendulum is released.

5. How does tension change as the pendulum swings?

As the pendulum swings, the tension in the string or rod changes. At the highest point of the swing, the tension is at its lowest, as the pendulum is momentarily at rest. As the pendulum moves back towards the lowest point, the tension increases, reaching its maximum at the lowest point. The tension then decreases again as the pendulum moves back towards the highest point.