Tension in the hawsers holding a beam

In summary, the tension in the two hawsers is dependent on the weight of the person on either end of the beam, as well as the sum of the moments around each of the support points.
lendav_rott

Homework Statement

In the illustration we have a beam attached to 2 hawsers which are BX and DY respectively.
We have pressure mounted on different parts of the beam. What is the tension in the hawsers

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to approach this problem.
Does the pressure in all of these points affect the tension in both of the hawsers? Or pressure in points A and C affect the tension in the hawser BX and pressure in points C and E affect the hawser DY?

Attachments

• Tension2.png
    Tension2.png
    3.5 KB · Views: 425
Physics news on Phys.org
Same as last time. Draw a FBD. How many unknowns? How many equations do you need?

What is an FBD? I haven't studied this in English and abbreviations make it even more difficult :/

Well, the unknowns are the tensions in the hawsers. But before I can even say what the tension is, I must know what affects the tension in either of those hawsers.
This is where I'm stuck - If i stand on one of the ends of the beam, the hawser right next to me will be more tense for sure, but does it apply to the one on the far end?

Or If I stand right in the middle of the distance betweent the 2 hawsers, my weight should affect them equally and as I get closer to one of them, the more I affect the one I m getting closer to and the less will I affect the one I m getting away from - so if my weight were mg, the increase in the tensions of the hawsers should add up.

In this assignment it's as if 3 people are standing on different parts of the beam - well quite heavy for ppl but the idea is the same, but how do each of them affect the whole system? :/

Last edited:
lendav_rott said:
What is an FBD? I haven't studied this in English and abbreviations make it even more difficult :/

Sorry, Free Body Diagram.

lendav_rott said:
Well, the unknowns are the tensions in the hawsers. But before I can even say what the tension is, I must know what affects the tension in either of those hawsers.
This is where I'm stuck - If i stand on one of the ends of the beam, the hawser right next to me will be more tense for sure, but does it apply to the one on the far end?

I would say it does, but it is dependent upon lot of things.

lendav_rott said:
Or If I stand right in the middle of the distance betweent the 2 hawsers, my weight should affect them equally and as I get closer to one of them, the more I affect the one I m getting closer to and the less will I affect the one I m getting away from - so if my weight were mg, the increase in the tensions of the hawsers should add up.

In this assignment it's as if 3 people are standing on different parts of the beam - well quite heavy for ppl but the idea is the same, but how do each of them affect the whole system? :/

Draw a free body diagram. Check these photos.

Right,

after struggling with the concept for a few days I worked out a solution that overall makes sense to me.

The beam is supported at 2 points, B and D.
Assume the positive direction vertically is toward the floor and horizontally to the right.

The only way the beam will stay this way, is if the total weight is exactly equal to the sum of the tensions.
We have the total Tension B+D and the total weight (7.5+7.5+2.5)kN = 17.5kN
B+D + 17.5 = 0 -> B+D = -17.5kN

Also, the sum of the moments ( I don't know what the word is: the force to cause circular movement around a centerpoint) will also have to be zero if we take either of the hawsers as a centerpoint.
If B is a centerpoint then:
F1 - the total moment to the left of B -> -0.5m * 7.5kN = -3.75kN
F2 - total moment to the right of B -> 0.75m *7.5kN + 1m *7.5kN + 3m *2.5kN + 2.25m *D
2.25m*D is the moment of the other supporting hawser - well it should make sense that we also take the moment of the other hawser into account, otherwise I cannot explain how the beam remains in such a balanced position when clearly there is a lot more moment to the right of B.
so F2 -> 2.25 *D + 13.125kN
F1 = F2 -> 2.25 *D = -16.875kN
and we know that B+D = -17.5kN
So we have 2 unknowns and 2 equations and it should be it.

Have I understood the concept of tension correctly? Is there something else about it? I am fairly confident that I have gone the right way in this assignment.

Last edited:
lendav_rott said:
The only way the beam will stay this way, is if the total weight is exactly equal to the sum of the tensions.
We have the total Tension B+D and the total weight (7.5+7.5+2.5)kN = 17.5kN
B+D + 17.5 = 0 -> B+D = -17.5kN

Correct. What does the minus sign means?

lendav_rott said:
If B is a centerpoint then:
F1 - the total moment to the left of B -> -0.5m * 7.5kN = -3.75kN
F2 - total moment to the right of B -> 0.75m *7.5kN + 1m *7.5kN + 3m *2.5kN + 2.25m *D
2.25m*D is the moment of the other supporting hawser - well it should make sense that we also take the moment of the other hawser into account, otherwise I cannot explain how the beam remains in such a balanced position when clearly there is a lot more moment to the right of B.
so F2 -> 2.25 *D + 13.125kN

Your forces on the right cannot have the same moment direction. Please check photo.

Attachments

• moments.JPG
    moments.JPG
    22.1 KB · Views: 391
OH, ofcourse. The moment you painted red, the force is directed upwards not downwards.
So it is:
F1 = -0.5m *7.5kN
F2 = 0.75m *7.5kN + 2.25m *(-D) + 3m *2.5kN
and the rest's simple.

Was that my mistake?

Right and a minor technicality:
-(B+D) = 17.5kN not B+D = -17.5kN
The minus sign means that the tension is directed opposite to the positive direction. I had assumed at the start of the solution that positive is down(vertically)/right(horizontally).

lendav_rott said:
OH, ofcourse. The moment you painted red, the force is directed upwards not downwards.

Exactly.

lendav_rott said:
So it is:
F1 = -0.5m *7.5kN
F2 = 0.75m *7.5kN + 2.25m *(-D) + 3m *2.5kN
and the rest's simple.

Was that my mistake?

Yes, I believe that was your mistake. Although, I would like to point out one more thing. The right hand rule I mentioned. The direction of the moment is given by the right hand rule: Counter Clockwise (CCW) is out of the page, Clockwise (CW) is into the page. (I think this is an excellent briefly explained). I myself like to designate the sign of the moment correctly. In your example here, moment from force D is positive and has a z direction (x is right, y is up). That's way I drew those rotations on an attached photo.

lendav_rott said:
Right and a minor technicality:
-(B+D) = 17.5kN not B+D = -17.5kN
The minus sign means that the tension is directed opposite to the positive direction. I had assumed at the start of the solution that positive is down(vertically)/right(horizontally).

Yes, and no. I'll try to explain. When you draw a fbd, then you write equations. For example, for a fbd I attached, I would use following equation:

-A+B-C+D-E=0
B+D=A+C+E
B+D=7.5+7.5+2.5

But if i instead wrote it like this:
A+B+C+D+E=0
B+D=-A-C-E=-17,5

that means that i assumed the wrong direction for some forces (here for A+C+E).

Please sorry if I didn't explain it well.

Aah, I understand now, thanks for the explanations, mishek :)

FAQ: Tension in the hawsers holding a beam

1. What is tension in the hawsers holding a beam?

Tension in the hawsers holding a beam is the force acting on the hawsers, or ropes, that are used to secure a beam in place. It is a measure of the stretching or pulling force on the hawsers.

2. Why is tension in the hawsers holding a beam important?

Tension in the hawsers holding a beam is important because it directly affects the stability and structural integrity of the beam. If the tension is too low, the beam may become loose and unstable. If the tension is too high, the beam may become overloaded and potentially break.

3. How is tension in the hawsers holding a beam calculated?

Tension in the hawsers holding a beam can be calculated using the formula T = F/A, where T is tension, F is the force acting on the hawsers, and A is the cross-sectional area of the hawsers. Additionally, tension can also be measured using specialized equipment such as tension gauges or load cells.

4. What factors affect tension in the hawsers holding a beam?

Several factors can affect tension in the hawsers holding a beam, including the weight and dimensions of the beam, the angle and direction of the hawsers, and external forces such as wind or waves. The type and strength of the hawsers themselves can also play a role in determining tension.

5. How can tension in the hawsers holding a beam be adjusted?

Tension in the hawsers holding a beam can be adjusted by either increasing or decreasing the force acting on the hawsers. This can be done by adjusting the angle or direction of the hawsers, adding or removing weights from the beam, or using different types of hawsers with varying strengths. It is important to carefully consider the safety and stability of the beam when making adjustments to tension.