1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tension of a rope between two trees

1. Sep 26, 2011 #1
    1. Suppose a rope of mass m hangs between two trees. The ends of the rope are at the same height and they make an angle ! with the trees.

I believe the tension at either end of the rope is T=(mg)/(2cos(theta)) but I don't know how to solve the for the middle. The only way I can think of doing it is by using integrals but my teacher told me we won't be using integrals till later in the year.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2011 #2
    How did you get the answer at the ends? The same working may help for the middle.

If you haven't already, try drawing a force diagram for just, say, the left half of the rope.

4. Sep 26, 2011 #3
    To find the rope at the end, I drew a free body diagram. From that I found the sum of the forces to be Tcos(theta)-(1/2)mg=0 because there is no movement. From this I found the tension. The problem is if I use this way I end up with the force in the middle being zero which I don't think is true.

5. Sep 26, 2011 #4

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

As Modulated suggests, draw a free body diagram of the left half of the rope, and sum forces in the x and y directions to solve for the unknown tension at the middle of the rope.

6. Sep 26, 2011 #5
  7. Sep 26, 2011 #6

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook