Tension on a capacitor from Laplace domain to time domain.

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
maCrobo
Messages
51
Reaction score
1
The problem ask me to find the tension on a capacitor after a switch has been opened.

I have everything in terms of equations in s-domain and I'm sure they aren't wrong because I checked on the book. My unique problem is to understand a certain passage necessary to find the voltage knowing the current.

I found I(s) and I know v(0)/s of the capacitor. Then I just used this relation to find V(s) and compute its value in time: I(s)=C (sV(s)-v(0)). Here I solved for V(s) and I got the wrong answer. In fact, the book uses a different equation, actually just I sign changes, the following: V(s)= (1/sC) I(s) - v(0)/s. The first thing I thought was it was a Typing error, but checking other exercises showed it wasn't.

So, my question is: why do we use it?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
maCrobo said:
The problem ask me to find the tension on a capacitor after a switch has been opened.

I have everything in terms of equations in s-domain and I'm sure they aren't wrong because I checked on the book. My unique problem is to understand a certain passage necessary to find the voltage knowing the current.

I found I(s) and I know v(0)/s of the capacitor. Then I just used this relation to find V(s) and compute its value in time: I(s)=C (sV(s)-v(0)). Here I solved for V(s) and I got the wrong answer. In fact, the book uses a different equation, actually just I sign changes, the following: V(s)= (1/sC) I(s) - v(0)/s. The first thing I thought was it was a Typing error, but checking other exercises showed it wasn't.

So, my question is: why do we use it?

Your equation is dimensionally wrong!
You wrote sV(s)-v(0).
You have a voltage (v(0)) subtracted from the derivative of a voltage (sV(s)).
 
CEL said:
Your equation is dimensionally wrong!
You wrote sV(s)-v(0).
You have a voltage (v(0)) subtracted from the derivative of a voltage (sV(s)).

His equation is not dimensionally wrong.

V(s) has units of volt-sec since V = ∫v*exp(-st)*dt, s has units of sec-1, so sV(s) has units of volts, just like v(0).

However, since the OP won't disclose the problem there is little else we can do for the chap or lass.
 
Thank you, guys for the answer, but I have already figured it out.
Bye.