Tension problem- why doesn't this solution work?

In summary, the tension in the cords is approximately 0.82 times the tension in the cords when the law of sines is used.
Lola Luck
1. Find the tension in each cord if the weight of the suspended object is w. (I am only asking about part a)

roxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fsession.masteringphysics.com%2FproblemAsset%2F1038549%2F5%2FYF-05-44.jpg

2. Net force on an object in equilibrium = 0

3. part a) I know this isn't the typical solution for this type of problem but I don't understand why it's not working.

I used the sine law: (Ta)/(sin45) = (Tb)/(sin30)
Then cosine law: w2 = (Ta)2 + (Tb)2 - 2(Ta)(Tb)cos75

I combined the equations to solve for Tb in terms of w. The answer I get doesn't match the given answer, so I'm wondering if there is something wrong with how I set up the problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
The law of sines could help you to determine the length of cords A and B. But that is not what you are after. You want to know the tension in cords A and B.

What horizontal force components exist at the junction point between A, B and C?
What vertical force components exist at the junction point?

Likes Lola Luck
jbriggs444 said:
The law of sines could help you to determine the length of cords A and B. But that is not what you are after. You want to know the tension in cords A and B.

What horizontal force components exist at the junction point between A, B and C?
What vertical force components exist at the junction point?

I'm not sure I understand why the law of sines can't be used on forces (tension in this case).

I believe I understand how to do it with components: (Tay) + (Tby) = -w and (Tax) + (Tbx) = 0

Right. ##T_{ax} + T_{bx} = 0##. But that does not involve the law of sines.

Likes Lola Luck
Yeah. I can solve it that way, but I don't understand why it would be incorrect to use the law of sines.

See the first response above. The law of sines tells you something about the length of the cords, not their tensions.

But ignore that. Let us assume that the law of sines worked as you state, i.e

##\frac{t_a}{sin 30} = \frac{t_b}{sin 45}## Which means that ##\frac{t_a}{t_b} = \frac{sin 30}{sin 45}## That's approximately 0.35.

But we also know that

##t_a cos 30 = t_b cos 45## Which means that ##\frac{t_a}{t_b} = \frac{cos 45}{cos 30}## That's approximately 0.82

They cannot both be right.

Likes Lola Luck
I understand now. The vectors weren't in an additive form (tip to tail) so it was wrong to apply triangular rules to their magnitudes. Thank you for helping me!

1. Why is tension a problem in the first place?

Tension arises when two or more forces act upon an object in opposite directions. This can cause stress and strain on the object, potentially leading to failure or deformation.

2. What factors contribute to tension problems?

There are several factors that can contribute to tension problems, including the magnitude and direction of the forces acting on an object, the material properties of the object, and any external factors such as temperature or environmental conditions.

3. How can we prevent tension problems?

To prevent tension problems, it is important to carefully consider the design and materials of the object in question. Reinforcements, such as additional supports or stronger materials, can also be used to distribute forces and reduce tension.

4. Why might a solution to a tension problem not work?

A solution to a tension problem may not work if it does not adequately address the underlying factors causing the tension. It is important to thoroughly analyze the problem and potential solutions before implementing them.

5. How can we troubleshoot and resolve tension problems?

To troubleshoot and resolve tension problems, it is important to first identify the root cause and then implement targeted solutions. This may involve adjusting the design or materials, redistributing forces, or making other changes to address the tension problem.