Solving Tensions & Weights Homework Problem

• Thread starter jegues
  • Start date
In summary, Homework Equations involve solving for three unknowns using two equations. The Attempt at a Solution involved figuring out how to generate the extra equations needed to solve the problem.
jegues

Homework Statement

See figure.

Homework Equations

[tex]\sum F = ma[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

By just looking at the picture I was able to generate 2 equations but I seem to have 3 unknowns so I'm sort of stuck right now. Here are my equations:

[tex] 50 = T_{ba}sin(130) + T_{bc}sin(\alpha) [/tex] and,

[tex] 40 + T_{bc}sin(180+\alpha) = T_{cd}sin(50)[/tex]

Any ideas of anything I'm missing? Am I taking the correct approach to this problem? Is there a simplier way!?

Thanks,

Attachments

• WeightQ.JPG
    WeightQ.JPG
    10.3 KB · Views: 337
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi jegues! :smile:

hmm … two vertical equations :rolleyes:

now i wonder where you could get a third equation from? :wink:

I think I may have figured out how to generate the extra equations I need.

I know the the rings where all the cables are attached are in equilibrium in the x and y directions.

If I apply [tex]\sum F_{x} = 0[/tex] I should be able to generate enough equations to solve this problem.

Is this the correct approach?

EDIT: [tex] T_{bc}cos(\alpha) + T_{ba}cos(130) = 0[/tex]

jegues said:
EDIT: [tex] T_{bc}cos(\alpha) + T_{ba}cos(130) = 0[/tex]

That's it! :smile:

(though it might be easier in this case to use Tba and Tcd instead. :wink:)

though it might be easier in this case to use Tba and Tcd instead.

So we just "ignore" the section in the middle? (BC) It is all in equilibrium so it shouldn't affect our answers anyways correct?

So,

[tex] T_{ba}cos(130) = T_{cd}cos(50) [/tex],

Correct?

jegues said:
So we just "ignore" the section in the middle? (BC) It is all in equilibrium so it shouldn't affect our answers anyways correct?

So,

[tex] T_{ba}cos(130) = T_{cd}cos(50) [/tex],

Correct?

That's right! :smile:

(except for the sign … why do you persist in using angles > 90º ? …

you can make mistakes doing that! :wink:)

I run into sign errors whenever I've done it any other way. I think our professor showed us a way to correct it either using sin or cos for the given angle but I've always found it easier to simply use cosines for the x components and sines for the y component.

I'm a little lost at the best way to solve the 3 equation 3 variable system, it's always easier when I don't have to solve for an angle... ( [tex] \alpha[/tex] in this case)

Any more tips!?

I'm left with the following three equations:

(1) : [tex] T_{ba}sin(130) + T_{bc}sin(\alpha) = 50[/tex]

(2) : [tex] T_{bc}sin(180+\alpha)-T_{cd}sin(50) = -40[/tex]

(3) : [tex] T_{ba}cos(130) - T_{cd}cos(50) = 0 [/tex]

I'm getting a headache trying to solve them :s

EDIT: Doh! I just reliazed I had 4 unknowns. I'm going to need another equation aren't I?

So solving for 4 unknowns,

(1) : [tex] T_{ba}sin(130) + T_{bc}sin(\alpha) = 50[/tex]

(2) : [tex] T_{bc}sin(180+\alpha)-T_{cd}sin(50) = -40[/tex]

(3) : [tex] T_{ba}cos(130) - T_{cd}cos(50) = 0 [/tex]

(4) : [tex] T_{bc}cos(\alpha) + T_{ba}cos(130) = 0 [/tex]

EDIT: Is this really what I'm stuck with doing? This is going to be an algebraic nightmare...

jegues said:
I've always found it easier to simply use cosines for the x components and sines for the y component.

eek! :yuck: sorry, but I'm with your professor on this …

don't be so inflexible, choose cos or sin to be appropriate for the diagram, not to make you feel at home!
I'm a little lost at the best way to solve the 3 equation 3 variable system, it's always easier when I don't have to solve for an angle... ( [tex] \alpha[/tex] in this case)

hmm … I've just noticed you have four unknowns, not three …

looks like you're going to need that Tbc and Tba equation anyway.

Tips? No, just use common-sense, and keep going. :smile:

EDIT: if you used 50 instead of 130, it wouldn't look so intimidating. And sin(180º + α) = -sinα.

choose cos or sin to be appropriate for the diagram

How is this done? He went over it really fast in class so I couldn't really understand how he was determining to either place a cos or a sin for the given angle.

Thank again, and am I actually stuck with that algebraic nightmare!? :yuck:

jegues said:
How is this done? He went over it really fast in class so I couldn't really understand how he was determining to either place a cos or a sin for the given angle.

It's always cos of the angle between the force and the direction.

It's never sin (except, of course, that sometimes the angle marked in the diagram is the "wrong" angle … so if they tell you that the angle to the horizontal is α, but you need cos of the angle to the vertical, then since it's always cos, that means it's cos(90º - α), which is sinα :wink:)

instead of making things complicated using T[c] why don't u just name them T1.T2,T3? easier that way so u don't confuse them

So if I'm looking at angles based from the horizontal axis I use cos(a) and if its from the vertical sin(a)? How do you know which sign to assign to these?

Also,

Thank again, and am I actually stuck with that algebraic nightmare!? :yuck:
?

maybe instead of the horizon u should use a bearing instead?

Still wondering if I'm actually stuck with solving a system of 4 equations and 4 unknowns... :yuck: ?

(just got up :zzz: …)
jegues said:
So if I'm looking at angles based from the horizontal axis I use cos(a) and if its from the vertical sin(a)? How do you know which sign to assign to these?

If the force is in (approximately) the same direction as the positive axis, then it's +, if it's the other way, its -.

And I repeat, always use cos.
jegues said:
Still wondering if I'm actually stuck with solving a system of 4 equations and 4 unknowns... :yuck: ?

Well, for a start, it's only 3, because you immediately know that Tab = Tcd.

Get on with it! :smile:

1. How can I determine the tension in a rope or cable?

To determine the tension in a rope or cable, you will need to consider the weight of the object being supported, the angle of the rope or cable, and any other forces acting on the object. You can use the formula T = W/sin(θ) to calculate the tension, where T is the tension, W is the weight of the object, and θ is the angle of the rope or cable.

2. What is the difference between tension and weight?

Tension is the force exerted by a rope or cable when it is pulled in opposite directions. Weight, on the other hand, is the force exerted by gravity on an object. The tension in a rope or cable is usually used to counteract the weight of an object and keep it in place.

3. How do I determine the tension in a system with multiple ropes or cables?

To determine the tension in a system with multiple ropes or cables, you will need to analyze each individual rope or cable separately and then combine the individual tensions to get the overall tension. This can be done by considering the weight and angle of each rope or cable and using the formula T = W/sin(θ) for each one.

4. What happens to the tension in a rope or cable when the angle changes?

The tension in a rope or cable will change when the angle changes. As the angle increases, the tension will decrease and as the angle decreases, the tension will increase. This is because the weight of the object is being distributed over a larger or smaller area, leading to a change in the force exerted by the rope or cable.

5. Can tension be negative?

No, tension cannot be negative. Tension is a force that always acts in the direction of the rope or cable, and therefore, it cannot have a negative value. If the calculated tension is negative, it means that the direction of the tension is opposite to what was assumed, and the actual tension would be the positive value of the calculated tension.