Tensor Inverse (Optical Activity)

In summary, the conversation was about a mathematical notation error and how it may have caused mistakes in elementary matrix algebra. The correct notation is given as an example for solving the problem.
Motocross9
Homework Statement
Given $$\varepsilon^{'}=\varepsilon+i\epsilon_{0}[G]$$
$$(\varepsilon^{'}$$ is a hermitian, second rank tensor) show that
$$\varepsilon^{'-1}=\varepsilon^{-1}-i\epsilon_{0}\varepsilon^{-1}[G]\varepsilon^{-1}$$, note that $$[G]$$ is small. Also, $$\varepsilon$$ is a diagonal second rank tensor, and $$[G]$$ is a real antisymmetric matrix.
Relevant Equations
$$\varepsilon^{'}=\varepsilon+i\epsilon_{0}*[G]$$
Clearly, they used the binomial expansion on this; however, I cannot figure out why [G] is sandwiched by the epsilon inverses:
$$\varepsilon^{'-1}=1/(\varepsilon+i\epsilon_{0}[G])\approx(1-i\epsilon_{0}[G]\varepsilon^{-1})\varepsilon^{-1}$$

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Motocross9,

While most of us who are scientists or engineers use abusive (incorrect!) mathematical notation at times, in this case I think it is causing you to make mistakes in elementary matrix algebra. Using more proper notation, you first step is something like this
$$
\begin{eqnarray}
\left[ \epsilon + i \epsilon_0 G \right]^{-1} & = & \left[ \epsilon \left( I + i \epsilon_0 \epsilon^{-1} G \right) \right]^{-1}.
\end{eqnarray}
$$
What do you get if you continue from here?

jason

jasonRF said:
Hi Motocross9,

While most of us who are scientists or engineers use abusive (incorrect!) mathematical notation at times, in this case I think it is causing you to make mistakes in elementary matrix algebra. Using more proper notation, you first step is something like this
$$
\begin{eqnarray}
\left[ \epsilon + i \epsilon_0 G \right]^{-1} & = & \left[ \epsilon \left( I + i \epsilon_0 \epsilon^{-1} G \right) \right]^{-1}.
\end{eqnarray}
$$
What do you get if you continue from here?

jason

Thanks so much! I see my mistake now.

1. What is the definition of tensor inverse?

The tensor inverse, also known as the optical activity tensor, is a mathematical quantity that describes the optical activity of a material. It is a 3x3 matrix that relates the electric and magnetic fields of an electromagnetic wave as it passes through a chiral material.

2. How is the tensor inverse related to chirality?

The tensor inverse is a property of chiral materials, which are materials that are not superimposable on their mirror image. The presence of chirality in a material causes a rotation in the polarization of an electromagnetic wave passing through it, and the tensor inverse quantifies this rotation.

3. What is the physical significance of the tensor inverse?

The tensor inverse is a measure of the strength of the optical activity of a material. It is used to calculate the angle of rotation and ellipticity of polarized light passing through a chiral material, and its magnitude is related to the concentration and absolute configuration of chiral molecules in the material.

4. How is the tensor inverse experimentally determined?

The tensor inverse can be experimentally determined by measuring the rotation and ellipticity of polarized light as it passes through a sample of the material. By comparing the measured values with the known properties of the incident light, the tensor inverse can be calculated.

5. What are some applications of the tensor inverse?

The tensor inverse has many applications in the fields of chemistry, physics, and materials science. It is used in the study of chiral molecules and their properties, as well as in the development of optical devices such as polarizers and wave plates. It is also used in the analysis of biological molecules and in the pharmaceutical industry to determine the purity and structure of chiral drugs.