What software do people use for tensor manipulation in general relativity?

In summary, the conversation is about software for manipulating tensors in general relativity. The person asking the question is interested in software that can manipulate tensors abstractly, rather than just calculating components. They mention a list of tensor software packages and express their current satisfaction with Maple and GRTensorII.
pervect
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
What sort of software do people here like to use to mangle, errr I mean manipulate, Tensors in General Relativity?

Physics news on Phys.org
I use paper and pencil. :smile:

A while back, I heard that MathTensor is good (but expensive).

It seems lots of tensor software packages are used for calculating components. I'd be interested in one that helps me manipulates them abstractly (for example, calculations involving algebraic and differential identities satisfied by the Riemann and Weyl tensors).

You may have seen this list
http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/RelWWW/software.html

Last edited by a moderator:
robphy said:
I use paper and pencil. :smile:

A while back, I heard that MathTensor is good (but expensive).

It seems lots of tensor software packages are used for calculating components. I'd be interested in one that helps me manipulates them abstractly (for example, calculations involving algebraic and differential identities satisfied by the Riemann and Weyl tensors).

You may have seen this list
http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/RelWWW/software.html

I probably did read that list at one time - currently, I'm reasonably happy with Maple and GRTensorII, but I was wondering what other people here used.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is Tensor Mangling Software?

Tensor Mangling Software is a computer program designed to manipulate and analyze tensor data. Tensors are multi-dimensional arrays commonly used in scientific and engineering applications.

2. How is Tensor Mangling Software different from other data manipulation software?

Tensor Mangling Software is specifically designed to handle tensor data, which is different from traditional data structures like vectors and matrices. It has specialized functions and algorithms that are optimized for tensor operations.

3. What types of data can be processed with Tensor Mangling Software?

Tensor Mangling Software is capable of processing various types of tensor data, including numerical data, images, videos, and text. It can also handle tensors of different sizes and dimensions.

4. What are some common applications of Tensor Mangling Software?

Tensor Mangling Software is commonly used in scientific research, machine learning, signal processing, and image analysis. It is also used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science.

5. Is Tensor Mangling Software only for advanced users?

No, Tensor Mangling Software can be used by both beginners and advanced users. It offers user-friendly interfaces and tutorials for beginners, while also providing advanced features and customization options for experienced users.