Terminal Masters vs. Research Masters: Which is the Best Path to a PhD?

In summary, most universities in the US offer a terminal masters degree, which means that no other higher level degree is available for the program. This does not necessarily prevent a candidate from pursuing further degrees or studies in the future. However, it may affect their eligibility for certain Ph.D. programs or the admissions process. Some universities may offer multiple types of masters degrees, such as a research masters and a terminal masters, which may impact their chances of being accepted into a Ph.D. program. Additionally, the terminal masters degree may be self-funded while other masters programs may be funded on a competitive basis. Ultimately, the decision to pursue a terminal masters degree or a research masters degree depends on the individual's goals and plans for their future education.
veejay
most universities in US offer a terminal masters degree.
does enrolling for this degree mean, the candidate can't further pursue any other degree in the future?
like suppose if he/she changes his mind after the terminal degree, if he wants to do research is he barred from starting with a research masters (MS) too?

Physics news on Phys.org
veejay said:
most universities in US offer a terminal masters degree.
terminal masters degree - like vulcanology with enhanced fieldwork?

does enrolling for this degree mean, the candidate can't further pursue any other degree in the future?
I wouldn't have thought so - although my PhD doesn't allow me to go back and do a lesser degree from the same institute.

i meant terminal degree like MEngg in EE etc.

mgb_phys said:

I wouldn't have thought so - although my PhD doesn't allow me to go back and do a lesser degree from the same institute.

in anything ?

a 'terminal masters degree' simply means that no other higher level degree is available for the program. An example of a terminal masters degree is the MBA (Master of Business Administration).

It has nothing to do with whether or not you can pursue further degrees or studies.

ice109 said:
in anything ?
Yes - it's a bit odd. You can do a lower degree you just can't graduate!
I assume they would bend the rules for nice profitable MBAs.

mgb_phys said:
Yes - it's a bit odd. You can do a lower degree you just can't graduate!
I assume they would bend the rules for nice profitable MBAs.

There's a joke about an MBA not being a real degree in there somewhere...

mgb_phys said:

Ahaha, thanks for that! :)

imabug said:
a 'terminal masters degree' simply means that no other higher level degree is available for the program. An example of a terminal masters degree is the MBA (Master of Business Administration).

It has nothing to do with whether or not you can pursue further degrees or studies.

No. For instance, UW and UCLA considers themselves to have a terminal masters degree in math. What it means is that you are not automatically considered as a Ph.D. student. Sometimes universities only have Ph.D. programs and no terminal mastrs degree that means you cannot apply to get a masters at the school only but have to apply to their Ph.D. program. From what I can tell masters degrees can improve your chances of being admitted to more difficult schools. But, you see a lot of people who never do this. I guess ideally if the school you are interested in as a five year ph.d. program you want to do that without a masters from another school. But, I have often wondered whether or not a masters degree can get one into Harvard or something.

Sometimes a PhD program let's you pick up a Masters en passant, "terminal" just means you graduate and (can) leave. A Bachelors degree is (always?) terminal; if you want to study further at the same institution you have to continue in another program or as a post-bacc student.

I've heard that some fields prefer to hire Masters graduates rather than Ph.D. graduates because Ph.D. graduates are too specialized and demand higher wages/positions. I was wondering, if I want to consider teaching as an option, whether it would be possible to take a Ph.D. and then do a Master's (in education or in a physics-related field).

actually, when i was looking through a university website(one such is cornell's applied physics dept, i don't rememeber others now), there were 2 types of masters- one the research masters M.S and the other terminal masters M.Engg. if someone wants to do a PhD in someother university, which one of the masters degree will give them better chances?
also, the terminal degree is self-funded while the other masters might be funded on a competitive basis.

vincebs said:
I've heard that some fields prefer to hire Masters graduates rather than Ph.D. graduates because Ph.D. graduates are too specialized and demand higher wages/positions. I was wondering, if I want to consider teaching as an option, whether it would be possible to take a Ph.D. and then do a Master's (in education or in a physics-related field).

You mean start at a Ph.D. program and drop out after you get your Master's?

I've considered it and asked my professor about it. He was baffled, because he didn't understand why I was trying to decide a priori. It's the same process to get accepted, and the same plan for like 2 years. Then after some experience, you can decide if you want to quit or not.

veejay said:
actually, when i was looking through a university website(one such is cornell's applied physics dept, i don't rememeber others now), there were 2 types of masters- one the research masters M.S and the other terminal masters M.Engg. if someone wants to do a PhD in someother university, which one of the masters degree will give them better chances?
also, the terminal degree is self-funded while the other masters might be funded on a competitive basis.

The one with a thesis. If they both have require thesis, then I don't see a difference (it only depends on what kind of Ph.D. you want to get I guess)

The reason to do a thesis is because you have to defend it. So, someone can write a recommendation on how you present advanced physics knowledge as opposed to a typical letter like this student took my class, worked hard, is bright, and got an A.

What is a terminal masters degree?

A terminal masters degree is a graduate-level degree that is typically the highest degree one can obtain in a specific field of study. It is considered a "terminal" degree because it is the final degree one can obtain in that field, as opposed to a stepping stone to a higher degree such as a doctorate.

What is the difference between a terminal masters degree and a regular masters degree?

A terminal masters degree is typically earned after completing a specific course of study and is considered the highest attainable degree in that field. A regular masters degree can be either a prerequisite for a higher degree or can be used as a stepping stone to a doctorate degree.

What are some common fields of study for terminal masters degrees?

Some common fields of study for terminal masters degrees include business administration, education, fine arts, healthcare, and social sciences. However, there are many other fields that offer terminal masters degrees, depending on the institution and program.

What are the requirements for obtaining a terminal masters degree?

The requirements for obtaining a terminal masters degree may vary depending on the field of study and the institution. Generally, it involves completing a specific course of study and a final project or thesis. Some programs may also require an internship or practical experience.

What career opportunities are available with a terminal masters degree?

Career opportunities for individuals with a terminal masters degree vary depending on the field of study. Some may include roles in research, education, healthcare, or other industries. Additionally, a terminal masters degree can also lead to career advancement and higher salaries in many fields.