Can you pursue a research master's after finishing a terminal master's degree?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
13 replies · 15K views
veejay
Messages
39
Reaction score
0
most universities in US offer a terminal masters degree.
does enrolling for this degree mean, the candidate can't further pursue any other degree in the future?
like suppose if he/she changes his mind after the terminal degree, if he wants to do research is he barred from starting with a research masters (MS) too?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
veejay said:
most universities in US offer a terminal masters degree.
terminal masters degree - like vulcanology with enhanced fieldwork?

does enrolling for this degree mean, the candidate can't further pursue any other degree in the future?
I wouldn't have thought so - although my PhD doesn't allow me to go back and do a lesser degree from the same institute.
 
mgb_phys said:
terminal masters degree - like vulcanology with enhanced fieldwork?


I wouldn't have thought so - although my PhD doesn't allow me to go back and do a lesser degree from the same institute.

in anything ?
 
a 'terminal masters degree' simply means that no other higher level degree is available for the program. An example of a terminal masters degree is the MBA (Master of Business Administration).

It has nothing to do with whether or not you can pursue further degrees or studies.
 
ice109 said:
in anything ?
Yes - it's a bit odd. You can do a lower degree you just can't graduate!
I assume they would bend the rules for nice profitable MBAs.
 
mgb_phys said:
Yes - it's a bit odd. You can do a lower degree you just can't graduate!
I assume they would bend the rules for nice profitable MBAs.

There's a joke about an MBA not being a real degree in there somewhere...
 
mgb_phys said:
terminal masters degree - like vulcanology with enhanced fieldwork?

Ahaha, thanks for that! :)
 
imabug said:
a 'terminal masters degree' simply means that no other higher level degree is available for the program. An example of a terminal masters degree is the MBA (Master of Business Administration).

It has nothing to do with whether or not you can pursue further degrees or studies.

No. For instance, UW and UCLA considers themselves to have a terminal masters degree in math. What it means is that you are not automatically considered as a Ph.D. student. Sometimes universities only have Ph.D. programs and no terminal mastrs degree that means you cannot apply to get a masters at the school only but have to apply to their Ph.D. program. From what I can tell masters degrees can improve your chances of being admitted to more difficult schools. But, you see a lot of people who never do this. I guess ideally if the school you are interested in as a five year ph.d. program you want to do that without a masters from another school. But, I have often wondered whether or not a masters degree can get one into Harvard or something.
 
Sometimes a PhD program let's you pick up a Masters en passant, "terminal" just means you graduate and (can) leave. A Bachelors degree is (always?) terminal; if you want to study further at the same institution you have to continue in another program or as a post-bacc student.
 
I've heard that some fields prefer to hire Masters graduates rather than Ph.D. graduates because Ph.D. graduates are too specialized and demand higher wages/positions. I was wondering, if I want to consider teaching as an option, whether it would be possible to take a Ph.D. and then do a Master's (in education or in a physics-related field).
 
actually, when i was looking through a university website(one such is cornell's applied physics dept, i don't rememeber others now), there were 2 types of masters- one the research masters M.S and the other terminal masters M.Engg. if someone wants to do a PhD in someother university, which one of the masters degree will give them better chances?
also, the terminal degree is self-funded while the other masters might be funded on a competitive basis.
 
vincebs said:
I've heard that some fields prefer to hire Masters graduates rather than Ph.D. graduates because Ph.D. graduates are too specialized and demand higher wages/positions. I was wondering, if I want to consider teaching as an option, whether it would be possible to take a Ph.D. and then do a Master's (in education or in a physics-related field).

You mean start at a Ph.D. program and drop out after you get your Master's?

I've considered it and asked my professor about it. He was baffled, because he didn't understand why I was trying to decide a priori. It's the same process to get accepted, and the same plan for like 2 years. Then after some experience, you can decide if you want to quit or not.
 
veejay said:
actually, when i was looking through a university website(one such is cornell's applied physics dept, i don't rememeber others now), there were 2 types of masters- one the research masters M.S and the other terminal masters M.Engg. if someone wants to do a PhD in someother university, which one of the masters degree will give them better chances?
also, the terminal degree is self-funded while the other masters might be funded on a competitive basis.

The one with a thesis. If they both have require thesis, then I don't see a difference (it only depends on what kind of Ph.D. you want to get I guess)

The reason to do a thesis is because you have to defend it. So, someone can write a recommendation on how you present advanced physics knowledge as opposed to a typical letter like this student took my class, worked hard, is bright, and got an A.