Terminal Speed and Height of Object

In summary, to calculate the terminal speed of a wooden sphere falling through the air, we need to use the density of air (1.2kg/m^3) in the equation Vt = sqrt2mg/DpA. The radius of the sphere is 8.00cm, its density is .830g/cm^3, and its drag coefficient is .500. From the given information, the volume of the sphere is .002m^3 and its mass is 1.74kg. Using the density of air and these values, we can calculate the terminal velocity to be approximately 4.11m/s.
Husker70

Homework Statement

(a) Calculate the terminal speed of a wooden sphere(density .830 g/cm^3)
falling through the air if its radius is 8.00cm and its drag coefficient is .500.
(b) From what height would a freely falling object reach this speed in the
absence of air resistance?

Homework Equations

p =m/v
m=pv
Vt = sqrrt 2mg/DpA

The Attempt at a Solution

p = .830 g/cm3
r = 8.00 cm = .080m
A = pie(r2) = .020m2
D = .500

Volume of Sphere = 4/3 pie(r3) = .335m3

I have the Velocity equation ready to go but I don't think that I'm converting
p correctly. I get .830 g/cm3 = 8.3x10 -7 g/m3

I'm not sure how to go to kg/m3, which is what I believe that I need to find
speed since g = m/s2
Once I get p to be correct I can get m and p and put them into the Vt equation.
I think I'm confused on the conversion.
Thanks,
Kevin

Physics news on Phys.org
The conversion factor is 1g/cm^3 = 1000kg/m^3. The density of the wooden sphere may be used to calculate the mass of the sphere, but that is not the correct density to use in your equation for V_term.

ok so .830 g/cm3^3 = 830kg/m^3
so
m=pv = (830kg/m^3)(.335m^3) = 278kg
Is that right?
Thanks,
Kevin

Ooops I get Volume of sphere to be .0021m^3
So m=pv = 830kg/m^3(.0021m^3) = 1.74kg

So I get Vt to be 4.11m/s
Can anyone help confirm this.
Thanks,
Kevin

Husker70 said:
ok so .830 g/cm3^3 = 830kg/m^3
so
m=pv = (830kg/m^3)(.335m^3) = 278kg
Is that right?
Thanks,
Kevin
The density looks good, but the volume is (4/3)(pi)(r^3) =4/3(pi)(.08m)^3= .002m^3, no? Now after you get the density and volume of the wood sphere correct (it's not that easy with all those metric decimals), calculate the mass of the sphere. But i want to be sure you understand that when you calculate V-term, the density to use in the denominator of that equation is NOT the density of the wood, it is the density of the ____?

I still get .0021m^3 for volume. Maybe I don't understand that.
In the Vt don't I have to find the mass of the sphere and use that?
Kevin

Husker70 said:
I still get .0021m^3 for volume. Maybe I don't understand that.
In the Vt don't I have to find the mass of the sphere and use that?
Kevin
I said .002 which is just a round off of .0021; your number is OK. But you're missing the point. When you calculate the terminal velocity using your relevant equation for V_t = sqrt2mg/DpA, the number to use for p is the density of the air, not the wood.

That does make sense. Sorry I misunderstood.
So would I use 1.2kgm^3 or do I have to calculate it from this
problem?
Kevin

As the density of air

Husker70 said:
That does make sense. Sorry I misunderstood.
So would I use 1.2kgm^3 or do I have to calculate it from this
problem?
Kevin
You use the 1.2kg/m^3 which you have looked up and correctly identified as the approximate density of air near Earth's surface. Now plug in all the numbers to solve for the terminal velocity.

What is terminal speed?

Terminal speed, also known as terminal velocity, is the maximum velocity that an object reaches when falling through a fluid or gas. It occurs when the force of gravity is equal to the force of drag acting on the object, resulting in a constant velocity.

How is terminal speed calculated?

The formula for calculating terminal speed is: Vt = sqrt((2mg)/(ρACd)), where Vt is terminal speed, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, ρ is the density of the fluid or gas, A is the cross-sectional area of the object, and Cd is the drag coefficient.

Does the terminal speed of an object depend on its mass?

Yes, the terminal speed of an object is directly proportional to its mass. This means that a heavier object will have a higher terminal speed than a lighter object, assuming all other variables remain constant.

What factors affect the terminal speed of an object?

The terminal speed of an object is affected by several factors, including its mass, the density of the fluid or gas it is falling through, its cross-sectional area, and its drag coefficient. Other factors such as air temperature and altitude can also have an impact.

How does height affect the terminal speed of an object?

As an object falls, its velocity increases until it reaches terminal speed. The height at which an object reaches terminal speed depends on its initial velocity, the acceleration due to gravity, and the drag force acting on the object. Generally, the higher the object is dropped from, the longer it will take to reach terminal speed.