Relativistic Speed Travel: What is the Effective Speed?

In summary: Since distance is a function of time, the speed of light is the limit of how far you can travel in a given amount of time.
Smattering
Dear all,

Let's assume I was planning an interstellar journey with relativistic speed. Being at rest on earth, the distance to the destination is ##d##. Let's further denote the proper time I will need to reach the destination as ##\tau##.

Is there an official term for the effective speed ##\frac{d}{\tau}##?

I understand that this mixes up measures from two different frames of reference, but still the traveller who is planning his trip can reach the destination with distance ##d## within proper time ##\tau##, right?

Edit: Fixed a typo.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
DaleSpam said:
I think it is called celerity or sometimes proper velocity (which I don't like). https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proper_velocity

Thanks a lot. That seems to be what I was looking for.

Just to be sure: This celerity is not bounded, is it? So in principle, I could reach travel every finite distance within my lifetime, given that I can achieve the necessary acceleration?

Correct. It is not bounded. As the velocity approaches c relative to some frame the celerity approaches infinity relative to that same frame.

Hm ... then advanced aliens from a distant star system would actually not need any kind of warp drive, multi generation spaceships or hypersleep chambers to visit us. The only thing they needed would be some kind of space drive that allows them to achieve the necessary acceleration.

Smattering said:
Hm ... then advanced aliens from a distant star system would actually not need any kind of warp drive, multi generation spaceships or hypersleep chambers to visit us. The only thing they needed would be some kind of space drive that allows them to achieve the necessary acceleration.
Not acceleration but speed. We've already achieved plenty more than enough acceleration but cannot sustain it long enough to reach sufficient speed. It all comes down to how much thrust (magnitude and duration) you can get per unit mass of fuel, and of course the mass of the spaceship.

Vitro said:
Not acceleration but speed. We've already achieved plenty more than enough acceleration but cannot sustain it long enough to reach sufficient speed. It all comes down to how much thrust (magnitude and duration) you can get per unit mass of fuel, and of course the mass of the spaceship.

You are right. What I meant is "the necessary acceleration for the required amount of time".

But to come back to the previous point: Relativity is actually not preventing superadvanced aliens from interstellar journeys within their lifespan, is it?

Smattering said:
You are right. What I meant is "the necessary acceleration for the required amount of time".

But to come back to the previous point: Relativity is actually not preventing superadvanced aliens from interstellar journeys within their lifespan, is it?

No. But it stops them getting back home. In principle, you could travel as far as the technology would allow in your lifetime, but if you travel 100 light years, then at least 100 years must have passed on your home planet (and 200 years by the time you get home).

PeroK said:
No. But it stops them getting back home. In principle, you could travel as far as the technology would allow in your lifetime, but if you travel 100 light years, then at least 100 years must have passed on your home planet (and 200 years by the time you get home).

That's clear. But look how many volunteers applied for the Mars One project. And that seems not only to be a one way trip but also a suicide mission.

Smattering said:
That's clear. But look how many volunteers applied for the Mars One project. And that seems not only to be a one way trip but also a suicide mission.

And Mars is 10-20 light minutes away!

PeroK said:
And Mars is 10-20 light minutes away!

If I had to choose between a one way trip that leads me to a camp of tents on Mars and a one way trip that leads me to an extrasolar planet with intelligent life, I would probably not choose Mars.

Smattering said:
If I had to choose between a one way trip that leads me to a camp of tents on Mars and a one way trip that leads me to an extrasolar planet with intelligent life, I would probably not choose Mars.

I doubt you'll ever be faced with that choice.

Smattering said:
Y

Well there are some fairly major technical "issues" that need solving, but it's a fascinating idea. Have you read about the Relativistic Rocket?
The final paragraph is a bit of a downer . . .

Smattering said:
So in principle, I could reach travel every finite distance within my lifetime, given that I can achieve the necessary acceleration?

But you don't need to look at that ratio to understand that. All you need to understand is length contraction. As your speed approaches c, the distance to your destination approaches zero.

1. What is relativistic speed travel?

Relativistic speed travel is the concept of traveling at speeds close to the speed of light, which is 299,792,458 meters per second. This type of travel is governed by the theory of relativity proposed by Albert Einstein.

2. How is the effective speed of relativistic travel calculated?

The effective speed of relativistic travel is calculated using the formula v = c * √(1 - (v^2/c^2)), where v is the velocity of the object, c is the speed of light, and √ represents the square root.

3. Can anything travel at the speed of light or faster?

According to the theory of relativity, nothing can travel at the speed of light or faster. As an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases infinitely and it would require an infinite amount of energy to accelerate it further.

4. What are some real-life examples of relativistic speed travel?

Some real-life examples of relativistic speed travel include particles in particle accelerators, such as the Large Hadron Collider, which can reach speeds close to the speed of light. Additionally, space probes and satellites can also reach relativistic speeds when orbiting around a planet or traveling through space.

5. What are the effects of traveling at relativistic speeds?

Traveling at relativistic speeds results in time dilation, where time appears to slow down for the moving object. This means that a person on a spaceship traveling at relativistic speeds would experience time passing slower than someone on Earth. Additionally, relativistic speeds also result in length contraction, where an object appears shorter in the direction of its motion. This phenomenon has been observed in experiments with particles traveling at high speeds.