Terms of second order and fourth order what does this MEAN?

In summary, the paper written by Born and Oppenheimer discusses the Born-Oppenheimer approximation and makes a statement that nuclear vibrations correspond to terms of second order and rotations correspond to terms of fourth order in the energy. The first and third order terms are said to vanish. This means that when the energy is expanded as a series, the contributions from nuclear vibrations are proportional to a2 and rotations are proportional to a4, while the first and third order terms are negligible. In physics, this is a common practice when dealing with error estimates and it means that the magnitude of the error is less than a constant times the parameter being analyzed as it approaches 0.
AxiomOfChoice
Terms of "second order" and "fourth order"...what does this MEAN?!

I am reading the paper written by Born and Oppenheimer that explains the development of the Born-Oppenheimer approximation. The paper contains the following cryptic (to me) statement:

"The nuclear vibrations correspond to terms of second order and the rotations to fourth order in the energy, while the first and third order terms vanish."

What, EXACTLY, is a "term of second order...in the energy?" (Or fourth order, for that matter?) I'm sure this is something I should know from freshman calculus, but this vernacular gets used a lot, and my understanding of it is muddled - it just is. Should I feel bad about this?

Physics news on Phys.org
AxiomOfChoice said:
"The nuclear vibrations correspond to terms of second order and the rotations to fourth order in the energy, while the first and third order terms vanish."

What, EXACTLY, is a "term of second order...in the energy?" (Or fourth order, for that matter?)

Hi AxiomOfChoice! :wink:

It just means that if you expand it as ∑ anEn ,

then the nuclear vibrations are proportional to a2,

the rotations are proportional to a4,

and a1 = a3 = 0. :smile:

Physicists take taylor series _all the time_ and don't think twice about it.

Thanks guys. On this same subject, when someone notes that "error estimates are [itex]\mathcal{O}(\alpha)[/itex]" for some parameter [itex]\alpha[/itex], does this translate into English as "error estimates are order [itex]\alpha[/itex]?" And, if it does, what does that mean? Does it mean there is a constant [itex]c[/itex] such that the magnitude of the error is less than [itex]c|\alpha|[/itex] as [itex]\alpha \to 0[/itex]? And is it understood that [itex]c = 1[/itex], such that all it amounts to is that, if [itex]\Delta x[/itex] is the error, we have [itex]|\Delta x| \leq |\alpha|[/itex]?

Last edited:

FAQ: Terms of second order and fourth order what does this MEAN?

1. What is the difference between terms of second order and fourth order?

The terms of second order refer to mathematical equations or phenomena that involve a second degree exponent or power. This means that the variable is squared, for example, x^2. On the other hand, terms of fourth order involve a fourth degree exponent, such as x^4.

2. How are terms of second order and fourth order represented in mathematical equations?

Terms of second order are typically represented as a quadratic equation, while terms of fourth order are represented as a quartic equation. These equations include variables raised to the second and fourth power, respectively.

3. What is the significance of terms of second order and fourth order in scientific research?

Terms of second and fourth order are important in scientific research because they represent non-linear relationships between variables. This means that small changes in one variable can result in significant changes in the other, making them useful for studying complex systems and phenomena.

4. Can you give an example of a real-life application of terms of second order and fourth order?

One example of a real-life application of terms of second and fourth order is in the study of population dynamics. The growth of a population can be modeled using a quadratic (second order) or quartic (fourth order) equation, which can help predict future trends and inform management strategies.

5. How do terms of second order and fourth order relate to stability in systems?

In systems analysis, terms of second and fourth order are often used to determine the stability of a system. If the terms of second order dominate, the system is considered to be stable. However, if the terms of fourth order dominate, the system may exhibit chaotic or unstable behavior.