Terrible probability problem

• Thread starter kecontroversy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary, the conversation is discussing a problem involving selecting ping-pong balls from a bag to determine the outcome of a soccer match. The question asks for the probability of a specific team scoring a goal in a minute, but the difficulty lies in not knowing the total number of balls or if the number of each color is equal. The solution involves using variables and considering the probabilities of selecting specific colors in multiple attempts.
kecontroversy
hi guys. I am here again, and facing one of the most difficult question ever faced before. so hope u can help me. below is the question and how I am thinking.

Someone would label the two competing soccer teams as the Red Team and the Green Team. An unknown number of red ping-pong balls, green ping-pong balls, and white ping-pong balls would be put inside a black bag. She would pick up 5 balls randomly from this bag for every minute that the soccer match is in play, and return all 5 balls back into the bag. If she had picked ALL red balls, she would cause a Red Team player to score a goal within that minute. If she picked ALL green balls, she would cause a Green Team player to score a goal within that minute. If she picked ALL white balls, she would cause the soccer match to be abandoned. THE QUESTION ASK ABT THE PROBABILITIES AS NORMAL. [e.g What is the probability that the Red Team will score a goal in anyone minute?]

BUT THE PROBLEM IS I DUN KNOW THE TOTAL NUMBER OF THE BALLS, AND WHETHER THE NUMBER OF RED BALLS AND WHITE BALLS AND GREEN BALLS ARE EQUAL. and TO FIND OUT THE TOTAL NUMBER OF BALLS, DO I HAVE TO USE X AND Y , INSTEAD OF ORDINARY WAY OF CALCULATION, AND I HAVE TO USE ASSUMPTION TO SOLVE THE PROBLEM RIGHT? is there permutation and combination involved?

THANKS..

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The solution will clearly depend on the number of each color ball. My guess is that you are not looking for a numeric solution to this problem, but for expresstions. For example, you could call the # of red balls R, green G, white W. The probability of selecting a green ball is then [tex] P = \frac {G} {R+G+W} [/tex] and the probablity of selecting 5 green balls in 5 tries is [tex] P = (\frac {G} {R+G+W})^5 [/tex]

kecontroversy said:
[e.g What is the probability that the Red Team will score a goal in anyone minute?]

BUT THE PROBLEM IS I DUN KNOW THE TOTAL NUMBER OF THE BALLS, AND WHETHER THE NUMBER OF RED BALLS AND WHITE BALLS AND GREEN BALLS ARE EQUAL.
Is there a conditional prob. involved? For either team to score a goal at time t (0 < t < 90), she must not have picked 5 whites up until that minute. (Such like, with independent coin flips, what is the probability of t heads in a row?)

Last edited:
kecontroversy said:
BUT THE PROBLEM IS I DUN KNOW THE TOTAL NUMBER OF THE BALLS, AND WHETHER THE NUMBER OF RED BALLS AND WHITE BALLS AND GREEN BALLS ARE EQUAL. and TO FIND OUT THE TOTAL NUMBER OF BALLS, DO I HAVE TO USE X AND Y , INSTEAD OF ORDINARY WAY OF CALCULATION, AND I HAVE TO USE ASSUMPTION TO SOLVE THE PROBLEM RIGHT? is there permutation and combination involved?

THANKS..

Since you don't know what the numbers are you're going to have
to use variables. (You don't have to call them X and Y tho...)

You can solve this using combinations easily enough. (In fact
you can just write down the answer.) You can also logic your
way through it.

let R = # of red balls, G = # of green balls, and W= # of white balls
now imagine pulling out 5 red balls, one at a time.

the probabillity of pulling out the first is (# of red) / (total #) = R/(R+G+W).
after that one is out how many reds are left?
how many total balls?
what's the probabillity of pulling out the next red?

if you can answer those questions the problem is a breeze.
Oh, and note P(5 reds) = P(1st is a Red) x P(1 red, after you've
taken out 1 Red) x P(1 red, after you've taken out 2 reds)...

Related to Terrible probability problem

What is the "Terrible probability problem"?

The "Terrible probability problem" is a hypothetical scenario that involves a series of events with very low probabilities of occurring. It is often used as a thought experiment to demonstrate the concept of probability and its applications in real-life situations.

What makes the "Terrible probability problem" so difficult?

The "Terrible probability problem" is difficult because it challenges our intuition and common sense. The events described in the problem have very low probabilities of occurring individually, yet when combined, they seem to have a higher chance of happening. This goes against our understanding of probability and can be counterintuitive.

Is the "Terrible probability problem" a real-world scenario?

No, the "Terrible probability problem" is a hypothetical scenario and does not represent a real-world situation. It is used as a tool to illustrate the concept of probability and its applications.

What can we learn from the "Terrible probability problem"?

The "Terrible probability problem" teaches us about the importance of understanding probability and its applications in decision making. It shows us that even events with very low probabilities can occur, and we should consider all possible outcomes when making decisions.

Can the "Terrible probability problem" be solved?

Yes, the "Terrible probability problem" can be solved using mathematical principles and calculations. However, the solution may not be intuitive and may require careful analysis and understanding of probability theory.