News Terror murder in London

• Thread starter Ryan_m_b
  • Start date
Emphasis mine, either you are misusing this term or you have fallen victim to racist justifying nonsense.
Maybe I'm misusing the term. The War On Terror is often used interchangeably in the press with "a clash of civilizations".

I'm curious to know why you think this is racist or justifies nonsense. How would you describe homegrown terrorists other than as traitors? Have you heard the terrorists own words in this case? Even if you don't think of this in terms of "us vs them", the terrorists clearly do.

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
On BBC Radio 2 this afternoon there was an interesting parallel between the publicity events like this get and pitch invaders in football (OK the analogue isn't great but bear with it)

Once one or two people invaded the pitch and got their 10 second slot on tv everyone started doing it and started protesting about this and that. Then the tv stopped showing pitch invaders and the numbers fell dramatically as the people simply didn't get their publicity they want.
Do the numbers for this actually exist, or were the commentators simply noticing that once the press stopped reporting on something, they stopped hearing about that thing?

Ryan_m_b

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Maybe I'm misusing the term. The War On Terror is often used interchangeably in the press with "a clash of civilizations".
Yes you (and the news readers) are misusing the term. "Clash of civilisations" comes from a theory published in the 90s that proposed that the world could be divided into six or so civilisations (Western, African, Arab etc) that would inevitably come to blows and have to be kept somewhat separate. It is more nuanced than that but utterly unfounded in reality and often critisised for being racist and used to justify racist jolly.

DrDu

Science Advisor
This deed corresponds perfectly to the fears of europeans of mad african savages and will be exploited by all kind of right wing groups.
I fear this event is devastating for black rights movement.

mheslep

Gold Member
...The UK is pretty peaceful, last year there were 550 murders which sounds a lot but in a nation of 65 million that's one murder every ~120,000 people. ...
The UK violent crime rate is 2K per 100K people (2009), per the Daily Mail the highest in the EU.

trollcast

Gold Member
Do the numbers for this actually exist, or were the commentators simply noticing that once the press stopped reporting on something, they stopped hearing about that thing?
It's related to the copycat effect, which I can't find any papers specific to murders / terrorist attacks on but google might provide some more results I've missed (Most of the papers are about suicide rates)

mheslep

Gold Member
This deed corresponds perfectly to the fears of europeans of mad african savages and will be exploited by all kind of right wing groups.
I fear this event is devastating for black rights movement.
Black rights? Cameron has called this a terror attack, with good reason:

CNN said:
"We swear by almighty Allah we will never stop fighting you until you leave us alone," said a meat-cleaver-wielding man with bloody hands, speaking in what seems to be a London accent.

"The only reasons we killed this man ... is because Muslims are dying daily," he added, in video aired by CNN affiliate ITN. "This British soldier is an eye for an eye, a tooth for tooth."

Ryan_m_b

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
The UK violent crime rate is 2K per 100K people (2009), per the Daily Mail the highest in the EU.
I don't have time to find the relevant link at the moment but note that UK law classes many things as violent crimes that other countries do not. Verbal abuse, carrying a concealed weapon and threatening behaviour for example are all classed as violent crimes. So that 2k per 100k figure certainly doesn't just mean murder and assault, it means a lot of things that people would scratch their heads at and wonder why it was considered violent.

cristo

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Unfortunately, being in the US, I'm a bit numb to a single murder. But I understand that this kind of violence is perhaps not as common there. I was watching a news clip about this yesterday where a witness kept saying over and over "he had a handgun, a handgun, he pulled out a handgun". I wish I lived in a country where someone having a handgun was shocking.

Let's hope this was just two lone lunatics and an isolated event.
This wasn't just a murder, it was a brutal decapitation in the middle of a street in broad daylight.

You're right about the handgun thing though, it is shocking to see handguns, because we rarely do. There are the odd armed police around, but really they are few and far between. I've never seen a handgun carried by anyone other than a police officer.

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor
I don't get why certain Western countries keep killing so many innocent lives in the Middle East when they know they are angering the radicals who then come to said Western Countries and retaliate.

I don't get why certain Western countries keep killing so many innocent lives in the Middle East when they know they are angering the radicals who then come to said Western Countries and retaliate.
And yet the radicals don't mind that they blow up innocent Muslims on a daily basis in Afganistan and Iraq. Seriously just about every day there is a bomb in some market or at some funeral or wedding and a Westerner isn't around for miles. The hypocrisy is out of this world.

btw, withdrawing all western presence will not stop the radicals. You think these radicals will just say "ok" and become farmers? No, it is now in their nature. They will spread propaganda. They need a boogy man to survive and gain support. Just like North Korea. Even if there is no current reason to seek payback, they can forever seek vengeance for what we did in the past.

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor
And yet the radicals don't mind that they blow up innocent Muslims on a daily basis in Afganistan and Iraq. Seriously just about every day there is a bomb in some market or at some funeral or wedding and a Westerner isn't around for miles. The hypocrisy is out of this world.
Well no one is in the right here, is what I'm saying. A number of people from all groups involved are doing bad things to each other. It's not the good vs. evil that respective parties make it out to be in the eyes of their fellow citizens.

reenmachine

Gold Member
Imagine if we went to Iran and started a cult and we would discuss how we could conquer the islamic world by force.They would kill us right away.But hey , "we're better than that" , we are accepting.There is no logical basis on which I should accept and respect Islam more than your average local cult.

Last edited:

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor
Imagine if we went to Iran and started a cult and we would discuss how we could conquer the islamic world by force.They would kill us right away.But hey , "we're better than that" , we are accepting.There is no logical basis on which I should accept and respect Islam more than your average local cult.
As long as we're killing innocent people there, we aren't any more "justified". I don't like taking sides. Everyone involved in the big picture is wrong in my eyes. A human death is a human death, I don't care if it is a British person or a Middle-Easterner or what have you because it is wrong to kill people either way for such superficial causes.

Evo

Mentor
I read that one of the murderers was born and raised in London, being of Nigerian descent, and the others involved (two more people were arrested) were also Nigerian. I am not aware of a current western occupation of Nigeria.

http://news.yahoo.com/british-soldier-hacked-death-suspected-islamist-attack-060253278.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

russ_watters

Mentor
What's hard to understand? It happens accidentally sometimes when killing non-innocent lives.
As long as we're killing innocent people there, we aren't any more "justified". I don't like taking sides.
I've never heard a good justification for not differentiating between purposeful and accidental killing. You're drawing a false equivalence and doing it in the name of "not taking sides" doesn't justify the negative implications of what you are saying:

I suppose it is possible that if we become hermits, the radicals will be a little less angry and will do a little less killing of our innocents, but if we were in that situation, it would be tough to watch innocent lives being taken for no reason and not try to do something about it. You're asking us to accept such a situation where they can kill us and we do nothing about it.

Last edited:

russ_watters

Mentor
Cameron has called this a terror attack, with good reason:
I'd like to hear insight into how the legal definitions and processes work in the UK because I suspect that if this happened in the US, it would be prosecuted as a simple murder.

As an academic matter, it doesn't really qualify as terrorism because the target was a member of the military. It may qualify as a war crime though, as there are a number of wrongs about it in the context of warfighting, but even that would be a stretch/complicated discussion.

The assailants, after all, didn't make any attempt to go after any civilians, so from that we can conclude there was no danger to civilians from these guys. I suppose in a way that puts them a level above the garden variety terrorist (the Boston bombers are typical) and the typical radical Islamic position on the issue. Please don't construe that to be a defense though; as murders go, this was a pretty heinous one.

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor
What's hard to understand? It happens accidentally sometimes when killing non-innocent lives. I've never heard a good justification for not differentiating between purposeful and accidental killing. You're drawing a false equivalence and doing it in the name of "not taking sides" doesn't justify the negative implications of what you are saying:

I suppose it is possible that if we become hermits, the radicals will be a little less angry and will do a little less killing of our innocents, but if we were in that situation, it would be tough to watch innocent lives being taken for no reason and not try to do something about it. You're asking us to accept such a situation where they can kill us and we do nothing about it.
We aren't good people just because we are supposedly out there killing the "bad" guys. This is the kind of blind patriotism that results in blind rampaging murders. What those men did is of course not justified and is a terrible thing regardless of who they killed and for what reason but trying to make it seem like we are shining angels in a battle of good vs evil is just as much of a lie now as it ever was throughout civilization. I am reminded of Bob Dylan's brilliant song "With God on Our Side".

reenmachine

Gold Member
As long as we're killing innocent people there, we aren't any more "justified". I don't like taking sides. Everyone involved in the big picture is wrong in my eyes. A human death is a human death, I don't care if it is a British person or a Middle-Easterner or what have you because it is wrong to kill people either way for such superficial causes.
I am in no way justifying anybody's action.In my ideal world , humanity would spend much more energy on trying to get closer and closer to absolute truth.There would be no time for wars or power struggles.We would make smart decisions on a mass level everyday to ensure our survival.There would be no violence in school.Everybody in school would be interested and curious to learn more , which would naturally boost the value of teachers (and particularly scientists and philosophers) around the world.

This isn't the world we live in today.It's not about taking side , it's about being born in a world which have sides , and it's also about being born (or raised) on one of those sides.How far are you willing to take your abstract principles? Suppose a new religion/country/group-of-people-with-an-opposite-ideology "RF" comes around and their goal is to kill everybody that isn't a RFer.RFers are being killed everyday.The RFers try to invade your country and they start entering the city you live in and kill citizens.Clearly , you could feel as much empathy for a RFer being killed in RF land and a western country citizen being killed in a western country.This is the same race , the human race , and a specimen suffering a dramatic event , which can be a hard pill to swallow for another member (you) of that race , if only in reaction of the reminder that this is a faith that could be reserved for you in this world.

Abstractly , I wouldn't feel very differently for both guys from both sides who got killed coldly in a barbaric way.I would feel their fear , try to put my mind as if I was in this situation facing a guy with a knife who's probably going to succeed in stabbing me to death.Or a soldier coming at me with the permission and ambition to kill me as quickly as possible.Imagine the fear.This is outrageous behavior for an intellectually advanced race (relatively).But in the end , if the RFer are coming to town with the goal to kill me or everything I believe in , I have to let go of my abstractions in order to survive.

Last edited:

256bits

Gold Member
I'd like to hear insight into how the legal definitions and processes work in the UK because I suspect that if this happened in the US, it would be prosecuted as a simple murder.

As an academic matter, it doesn't really qualify as terrorism because the target was a member of the military. It may qualify as a war crime though, as there are a number of wrongs about it in the context of warfighting, but even that would be a stretch/complicated discussion.
Quite well said actually. I guess we will see you the juducial system actually deals with it.
Are the individuals' thought processes so deranged to the point where they thought that the taking the life of an innocent individual ( in our definition innocent, in a terrorists no one of the other side is innocent ) will promote their cause as being just. Can they be considered actually insane? No sane person goes around doing stuff like this.

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor
Can they be considered actually insane? No sane person goes around doing stuff like this.
Revenge can cloud judgement in times of rage / fury so I don't know if they are clinically insane. The insanity plea is so overused in court systems though.

We aren't good people just because we are supposedly out there killing the "bad" guys. This is the kind of blind patriotism that results in blind rampaging murders. What those men did is of course not justified and is a terrible thing regardless of who they killed and for what reason but trying to make it seem like we are shining angels in a battle of good vs evil is just as much of a lie now as it ever was throughout civilization. I am reminded of Bob Dylan's brilliant song "With God on Our Side".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnRdsSC3YwM