Tesla cybertruck is it a good electric vehicle

Main Question or Discussion Point

tesla cybertruck does promise a range of 250 to 500 miles and has 1 - 3 electric motors. Is this a good electric vehicle purely based on just its specs.

Answers and Replies

phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
tesla cybertruck does promise a range of 250 to 500 miles and has 1 - 3 electric motors. Is this a good electric vehicle purely based on just its specs.
define "good"

If hail like that was coming down no car would really be safe. By good i mean is it as good or better then current vehicles like it.

The problem is that at this point we just don't know. While it is promised to have a range of 250-500 miles, that doesn't necessarily mean the final production model is going to be able to do that. Also, the only IRL comparison we've had so far is the tug of war between it and a ford f-150 (which might not have even had the same type of specs as it)

It also talks about the up to three motors it will have in it and the times that is takes to go 0-60.

berkeman
Mentor
It also talks about the up to three motors it will have in it and the times that is takes to go 0-60.
For a pickup truck? I really don't care about 0-60mph times for any pickup truck that I may own. I care about 4WD performance off-road, suspension articulation (and preferably ways to adjust ride height off-road to maximize ground clearance, versus lower ride height on-road to minimize roll-over issues during evasive maneuvers). I also want at least two motocross bikes (and preferably 3-4) to fit easily in the truck bed, and I want good towing capability.

This is supposed to be a truck, right? If it can act like a sports car in "insane mode", that's fine. As long as it can be a good utility truck too...

http://www.mxwebsites.com/images/dirt-bike-photos/beaumont-hills-dirtbike.jpg

1575337578257.png

phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
For a pickup truck? I really don't care about 0-60mph times for any pickup truck that I may own. I care about 4WD performance off-road, suspension articulation (and preferably ways to adjust ride height off-road to maximize ground clearance, versus lower ride height on-road to minimize roll-over issues during evasive maneuvers).
Yeah, he seems to be going for the "gee whiz" factor more than actual usability.

minimize roll-over issues during evasive maneuvers
I outran a motorcycle cop once, in a Dodge pickup with a 318. Tell you what, that'll never happen no more.

Wait. I mean, "I had a friend, who..."

Klystron
Gold Member
My physical therapist waxes ecstatic about the Tesla e-truck including placing a deposit on a production model; two engine four wheel drive, I believe. My reaction to his description of the body styling was to ask if the design is meant to deflect radar; i.e, a 'stealth truck'. Consensus is that the body design was influenced by the stainless steel Delorean DMC, certain Lotus sport cars owned by Elon Musk and futurific vehicles featured in films such as "Blade Runner".

While considering replacing my trusty Tacoma pickup truck, one of the last models produced at the NUMMI plant in Fremont California, with an electric or hybrid vehicle; I do not see a Tesla truck in my future.

1575399289490.png

Consensus is that the body design was influenced by the stainless steel Delorean DMC, certain Lotus sport cars owned by Elon Musk and futurific vehicles featured in films such as "Blade Runner".
see this from @jack action

Aside: How do you guys make the little clickable link to another post? I think I got this to work, but I copy/pasted the URL, there must be a quicker way?

phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
see this from @jack action

Aside: How do you guys make the little clickable link to another post? I think I got this to work, but I copy/pasted the URL, there must be a quicker way?
Nope. That's how it's done.