1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Test tomorrow, can't figure this problem out

1. Feb 1, 2006 #1
    An object is thrown vertically upward such that it has a speed of 21 m/s when it reaches two thirds of its maximum height above the launch point. Determine this maximum height.

I can't figure what to do since initial velocity isn't given and I don't see a way to solve for it.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2006 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Reframe the problem this way: An object is thrown upward with an initial speed of 21 m/s and rises to a height of h/3. Solve for h.
  4. Feb 1, 2006 #3
    Oh I like that suggestion Doc Al. Very clever.

I would use a kinematic equation to help get your answer... this one perhaps?

5. Feb 1, 2006 #4
    That equation doesn't really help me though, Jameson. It has two variables in it that I don't know the value of.

And I kind of see where you're going, Doc Al, but why h/3? It seems like 2h/3 would be what I'd want to solve for...
  6. Feb 2, 2006 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What doc al is saying is you can find the maximum heigth because at the point [itex]\frac{2}{3}h[/itex] the initial velocity would be 21ms/2 and at maximum height (which is [itex]\frac{1}{3}h[/itex] above that point) you know the ball would come to rest. This would allow you to use Jameson's equation to calculate the maximum height.
  7. Feb 2, 2006 #6

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Hootenanny already explained it, but let me put it this way. You have three points of interest:
    (1) start: y = 0; v = ?
    (2) "mid" point: y = 2h/3; v = 21 m/s
    (3) top: y = h; v = 0 m/s

What I'm suggesting is that between points 2 & 3 the object travels a distance of h/3. A perfect opportunity to apply Jameson's kinematic equation.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?