Chemistry Assistance for the Struggling Sophomore

In summary, the individual is seeking help with understanding chemical formulas and names for their chemistry class. They express that they have no prior knowledge about the subject and are struggling to understand. The expert suggests memorizing the valencies of common elements and radicals and shares a chemistry humor page. The individual also mentions failing a test and the expert encourages them to continue studying.
ReoFonzo
I'm taking chemistry in my sophmore year, I need help with writing names or chemical formulas, to be honest I don't know anything whatsoever.

For example: HOW can I possibly know that Calcium Selenide would be CaSe in chemical formula

Or that (NH4)2SO4 is ammonium sulfate ?

I really need help!

Physics news on Phys.org
To be honest, if you don't know "anything whatsoever," then I doubt anyone can teach you, from scratch, about chemical formulae in one day! However, I'll try the way I was taught when first coming across these sorts of problems.

In the case of calcium selenide: The Calcium ion has a charge 2+, and the selenium ion 2-. The molecule must have no net charge, and so we can see that these charges will cancel out, and the correct formula must be CaSe.

In the case of ammoium sulphate: The charge on the ammonium ion (NH4) is 1+, and the charge on the sulphate ion (SO4) is 2-. So, in order to form a molecule with no net charge we must have 2 ammonium ions to one sulphate ion, hence the formula (NH4)2SO4.

You need to learn (i.e., memorize, either directly, or through the periodic table) the valencies of the common species (elements and radicals). This is something that typically takes several days or weeks worth of familiarization.

http://eppe.tripod.com/elements.htm

And if you start to get tired studying all that chemistry, here is a chemistry humor page from the website that Gokul linked to:

http://eppe.tripod.com/humor.htm

Thanks guys, I failed the test...lol :S

Oh well. At least you know to study more next time, eh? Hang in there.

What is "Chemistry Assistance for the Struggling Sophomore"?

"Chemistry Assistance for the Struggling Sophomore" is a program designed to help students who are struggling in their chemistry courses. It provides additional support and resources to help students improve their understanding and performance in chemistry.

Who is eligible for "Chemistry Assistance for the Struggling Sophomore"?

Any sophomore student who is struggling in their chemistry course is eligible for this program. This could include students who are struggling with concepts, formulas, or overall understanding of the subject.

What kind of assistance is provided in this program?

This program offers a variety of assistance, including one-on-one tutoring, study groups, review sessions, and access to additional study materials. The specific type of assistance provided will depend on the individual needs of the student.

Is there a cost for "Chemistry Assistance for the Struggling Sophomore"?

The cost for this program may vary depending on the institution or organization offering it. Some schools may offer it as a free resource for students, while others may charge a fee. It is important to check with your school or organization for more information.

How can "Chemistry Assistance for the Struggling Sophomore" benefit me?

This program can benefit you by helping you improve your understanding and grades in chemistry. It can also provide you with valuable study skills and resources that can be applied to other subjects. Additionally, working with a tutor or study group can help you build confidence and improve your overall academic performance.