Testing Attachments: Are Thumbnails Supported in PF?

• Thread starter gnome
  • Start date
In summary, attachments are supported in this part of the forum, but you will need a mentor's approval to post the full-size image.
gnome
Are attachments not supported in this part of the forum?

Anyway, the main question is -- how do "attached thumbnails" work? In most attachments in PF, the thread contains just a link which opens up a new window containing the image. But in a few cases, a small copy of the image, diagram, etc, is viewable in the original post. How is that done?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can't see it..

Neither can I.

gnome, if you're trying to figure out how to upload an attachment, just open a post in the thread in which you plan to post it, don't open a new thread.

Did you go to "additional options...manage attachments...browse (to find your file)...when you add the file, then click "upload", you should then see that the file has been attached.

Last edited:
gnome said:
Are attachments not supported in this part of the forum?

Anyway, the main question is -- how do "attached thumbnails" work? In most attachments in PF, the thread contains just a link which opens up a new window containing the image. But in a few cases, a small copy of the image, diagram, etc, is viewable in the original post. How is that done?
Attachments are supported here. Once you have attached the file, a mentor will need to approve it, there will then be a thumbnail of the file which can be clicked on to view the full size.

My attachment is not attached...
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=494513#post494513

Did you remember to hit the "upload" button after you selected the file?

Did you get an error message saying that the size was too large? It is not a "pop up" error message, the message will appear at the top. if the message attached, you will see it at the bottom.

Last edited:
Yes, there was an error message at the top (which I didn't notice the first 10 attempts). So finally I managed to trim it down below 400x400, and now I'm back to my original question. This process (with a now 19k .png file) produces just a text-link to click on, which opens a new browser window displaying the image, which is not what I was trying to accomplish.

My question is, how to produce a "thumbnail image" that is visible in the ORIGINAL post.

Last edited:
I know jpeg will create a thumbnail, I haven't tried the other file types, you may have to convert your file to a jpeg, otherwise settle for the link.

1. Are thumbnails supported in PF?

Yes, thumbnails are supported in PF. This allows images or other attachments to be displayed in a smaller size, making it easier for users to preview the attachment before opening it.

2. How do I add a thumbnail to an attachment in PF?

To add a thumbnail to an attachment in PF, you can use the "thumbnail" attribute in the attachment tag. This attribute specifies the file path or URL of the thumbnail image that you want to use. For example:
<attachment thumbnail="thumbnail.jpg">Attachment Name</attachment>

3. Can I customize the size of the thumbnail in PF?

Yes, you can customize the size of the thumbnail in PF by using the "thumbnailSize" attribute in the attachment tag. This attribute specifies the width and height of the thumbnail in pixels. For example:
<attachment thumbnail="thumbnail.jpg" thumbnailSize="200x200">Attachment Name</attachment>

4. Are there any limitations on the type of files that can have thumbnails in PF?

No, there are no limitations on the type of files that can have thumbnails in PF. As long as the attachment is supported by PF, you can add a thumbnail to it.

5. Can I add multiple thumbnails to one attachment in PF?

Yes, you can add multiple thumbnails to one attachment in PF by using the "thumbnail" attribute multiple times in the attachment tag. This will display multiple thumbnails for the same attachment. For example:
<attachment thumbnail="thumbnail1.jpg" thumbnail="thumbnail2.jpg">Attachment Name</attachment>