Testing for chaos in data(method by Doyne Farmer for 3D discrete data)

In summary, the conversation discusses the methods for testing the existence of chaos in data for a discrete 3D system. The suggested methods include using a Fourier transform to visualize periodic orbits, phase space reconstruction, and constructing a Poincaré map. The example of Doyne Farmer's experiment with ultrasonic sound data is also mentioned, where a single hump in the graph indicated the existence of a chaotic orbit. It is noted that additional assumptions may be necessary to accurately determine the presence of chaos in finite data.
marellasunny
Testing for chaos in data

I have data for 3 variables ,each with respect to the discrete time values.
How do I check for the existence of chaos for this discrete 3D system?(I don't have the analytic eqs.,just the data.)

MY IDEAS ON CHECKING FOR CHAOS FROM DATA:(which of these are feasible on an algorithm?)

1.In Li and Yorke's paper, they describe "chaos" as the existence of orbits of all periods simultaneously(although they don't mention about the stability), I thought in this context that using a Fourier transform can show me visually the existence of periodic orbits and hence chaos.i.e a chaotic system would have a frequency(of oscillation) distributed over the entire range.

2.I have done a phase space reconstruction and the 3D plot doesn't look anything like a chaotic trajectory. It doesn't look like a attractor either. Can I check for chaos with the phase space reconstruction of these discrete data?

3.Since the data are discrete, does construction of a Poincaré map help in checking for chaos?Doyne Farmer used the same technique on a 1D system(see below).Can I use for 3D systems also?

P.S:
I just read in my textbook that when the physicist Doyne Farmer gathered ultrasonic sound data from drops of water hitting the floor and used the time difference between 2 sound peaks as the variable x(i.e he plotted a 2D graph between [itex]x_{t+1}[/itex] and [itex]x_t[/itex]), he observed a single hump in the [itex]x_{t+1}[/itex] vs [itex]x_t[/itex] graph,hence indicating the existence of a period∞ orbit a.k.a chaos.

Attachments

• LPJ-RBF-Traj2.jpg
    LPJ-RBF-Traj2.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 394
Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
You could perform some statistical tests to see if there is an underlying distribution or if all tests fail. If you have three trajectories, you could consider them one by one. It is in general difficult to find or reject a pattern on finitely many data, since they always can be explained by a polynomial. Therefore I guess that additional assumptions will have to be made.

1. What is the method used for testing chaos in 3D discrete data?

The method used for testing chaos in 3D discrete data was developed by Doyne Farmer and is known as the "Doyne Farmer method." It is a statistical test that looks for patterns in the data that are characteristic of chaotic behavior.

2. How does the Doyne Farmer method work?

The Doyne Farmer method works by first taking the 3D discrete data and converting it into a time series. Then, the method looks for specific patterns in the data, such as the presence of strange attractors or sensitive dependence on initial conditions, which are indicative of chaotic behavior.

3. What are the advantages of using the Doyne Farmer method for testing chaos?

One advantage of using the Doyne Farmer method is that it is a relatively simple and easy-to-use statistical test. It also does not require a deep understanding of chaos theory, making it accessible to a wider range of researchers and scientists. Additionally, it has been shown to be effective in detecting chaos in real-world data sets.

4. Are there any limitations to the Doyne Farmer method?

Like any statistical test, the Doyne Farmer method has its limitations. It may not be able to detect chaos in all types of data, particularly if the chaotic behavior is subtle or masked by other factors. It also does not provide any information about the underlying causes of the chaos, only whether it is present in the data.

5. How can the results of the Doyne Farmer method be interpreted?

If the Doyne Farmer method detects chaos in the data, it means that there are underlying patterns that are unpredictable and sensitive to initial conditions. This can have implications for the system being studied and may suggest the need for further analysis or consideration of chaos theory in understanding the system's behavior.