Testing for Uniform Continutity with Weierstrass MTest

In summary, the Weierstrass M-test is not applicable in this situation since you are not looking at a sequence of functions.
Emspak said:
Is the point here that even though fn approaches zero, and is less than some number no matter what you do with n (in this case the expression is always less than 1) that still does not imply uniform convergence?
Yes, that's right.

Here is an example: let ##f_n(x)## be the function whose graph looks like an isosceles triangle of height ##1## with one vertex at ##x = 1-1/n## and the other vertex at ##x=1##, and outside of ##[1-1/n, 1]##, the function is zero. This sequence satisfies ##|f_n(x)| \leq 1## for every ##n## and every ##x##. The sequence converges to ##0## for every ##x##, but not uniformly, because for every ##n## there is some ##x## (namely the midpoint of ##[1-1/n, 1]##) with ##f_n(x) = 1##.

Physics news on Phys.org
OK but this seems a direct contradiction to the very definition of uniform convergence above! Or is it because the maximum of fn is 1? this is why i am so confused here.

In other words, ##f_n(x)## looks like the attached picture.

Attachments

• triangle.gif
    triangle.gif
    4.3 KB · Views: 463
sorry i was referring ot the original problem, not your diagram.

Emspak said:
OK but this seems a direct contradiction to the very definition of uniform convergence above! Or is it because the maximum of fn is 1? this is why i am so confused here.
You need more than just ##\max(|f_n|) = 1##. You need ##\max(|f_n|) = B_n## where ##B_n## is some sequence of numbers that converges to zero as ##n## increases.

For example, ##\max(|f_n|) = 1/n## would imply uniform convergence.

Please check your calculation of the maximum again. Where is this function equal to zero?
$$\frac{1-nx^2}{(1+nx^2)^2}$$
Your answer should depend on ##n##.

Hint: the fraction is zero whenever the numerator is zero.

OK, now we get to choosing Bn to test for uniform convergence, yes? Would that not be, say, 1/(1+n) ? That goes to zero, doesn't it? So does -1 / (1 + n).

It equals zero at x=1 or x=-1 when n=1. At n=4 it would have to be at x=1/2, and so on. (x would actually vary as 1/sqrt(n) to make it zero depending on what n is).

Emspak said:
OK, now we get to choosing Bn to test for uniform convergence, yes? Would that not be, say, 1/(1+n) ? That goes to zero, doesn't it?
Sure, but you would have to show that your ##|f_n|## is smaller than ##1/(n+1)##. It might not be, but you might be able to find some other sequence. This is why you need to calculate the maximum of ##f_n##.

Emspak said:
It equals zero at x=1 or x=-1 when n=1. At n=4 it would have to be at x=1/2, and so on. (x would actually vary as 1/sqrt(n) to make it zero depending on what n is).
Can you find a formula for the ##x## which gives the maximum? In other words, don't plug in ##n## values, just solve for ##x## in terms of ##n##.

when i solve for x, assuming we set the derivative expression at zero, I get:
$$\frac{1}{\sqrt{n}}= x$$. Now what?

Emspak said:
when i solve for x, assuming we set the derivative expression at zero, I get:
$$\frac{1}{\sqrt{n}}= x$$. Now what?
OK, so that tells you where the maximum occurs. (Technically, you should verify that it's a maximum and not a minimum, but let's leave that aside for now.)

So now what is the value of the maximum? Plug ##x = \frac{1}{\sqrt{n}}## into ##f_n(x)## and see what you get.

putting [itex]\sqrt{n}[/itex] into the original equation, I would get $$\frac{\frac{1}{\sqrt{n}}}{1+n^2} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{n}+n^{5/2}}$$ which goes to zero the bigger n gets.

Emspak said:
putting [itex]\sqrt{n}[/itex] into the original equation, I would get $$\frac{\frac{1}{\sqrt{n}}}{1+n^2} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{n}+n^{5/2}}$$ which goes to zero the bigger n gets.
That's not what I get. (The ##n^{5/2}## term is wrong.)

wait a minute. n^(1/2 ) * n^2 = n^ (1/2 + 2), no? That's 5/2.

Evaluate
$$f_n(x) = \frac{x}{1+nx^2}$$
at ##x = \frac{1}{\sqrt{n}}##:
$$f_n\left(\frac{1}{\sqrt{n}}\right) = \frac{1/\sqrt{n}}{1 + n(1/\sqrt{n})^2} = ?$$

Oh, SNAP! THat was stupid of me. So, you get $$\frac{1}{2\sqrt{n}}$$

Right. So now you have shown the following:
$$|f_n(x)| \leq \max_x |f_n(x)| = \frac{1}{2\sqrt{n}}$$
And ##\frac{1}{2\sqrt{n}} \rightarrow 0## as ##n \rightarrow \infty##. What can you conclude?

Well, that would point to uniform convergence then wouldn't it? We have a sequence of numbers that approaches zero as n--> infinity. It's also < infinity. And on top of that the absolute value of the function is less than that maximum for all n.

Emspak said:
Well, that would point to uniform convergence then wouldn't it? We have a sequence of numbers that approaches zero as n--> infinity. It's also < infinity. And on top of that the absolute value of the function is less than that maximum for all n.
Yes, that's right. The conclusion is that ##f_n## converges uniformly to ##0##.

Likes 1 person
Thanks for bearing with me. This has cleared a bunch of things up, and it can get a bit frustrating.

No problem, this stuff is always confusing at first. Just keep doing exercises like this and it will become a lot clearer.