Testing spacetime collapse at absolute zero

In summary, the conversation discusses the effects of near absolute zero temperatures on quantum effects and spacetime. The speaker suggests that as temperatures approach absolute zero, quantum effects become more apparent due to spacetime collapsing. They propose a test involving a chilled atom and a laser to observe potential bending of light. The conversation ends with the speaker seeking thoughts and references on their idea.
Michael Johnson
The other day I was pondering what happens at/near absolute zero so I did some googling and found articles talking about how it has been demonstrate that as you near absolute zero, the quantum effect start to have an increased range. However, is seems that perhaps the quantum effects only get larger because spacetime is collapsing in on itself. If this is correct, I would expect spacetime to be stretched toward the coldest spot. I don't know if this is in fact what is happening, but I believe it may be testable by simply chilling an atom to near absolute zero where the change in quantum effect appear to increase. If you shoot a laser (stream of individual photons?) past this chilled atom, if space time is stretched I would expect to see the light bend slightly. As a baseline you would want to do this with a "warm" atom as well and then compare the two.

So that is my idea. Any thoughts?

(I had no idea what thread level to select, so I selected the B.) /shrug

Physics news on Phys.org
Likes berkeman

1. What is spacetime collapse at absolute zero?

Spacetime collapse at absolute zero is a theoretical phenomenon that suggests that at temperatures approaching absolute zero (-273.15°C or 0 Kelvin), the fabric of spacetime may break down and lose its structure. This is because at absolute zero, all molecular motion stops and the laws of physics as we know them may no longer apply.

2. How is spacetime collapse at absolute zero tested?

Scientists use advanced technologies such as superconductors and superfluids to create extremely low temperatures in laboratory settings. They then observe and measure the behavior of particles and other elements at these temperatures to see if there are any indications of spacetime collapse.

3. What implications does spacetime collapse at absolute zero have?

If spacetime collapse at absolute zero is proven to be a real phenomenon, it would challenge our current understanding of the universe and the laws of physics. It could also potentially lead to the development of new theories and technologies.

4. Has spacetime collapse at absolute zero been observed?

No, spacetime collapse at absolute zero has not been observed or proven to be a real phenomenon yet. It is still a topic of ongoing research and debate among scientists.

5. What are the potential consequences of spacetime collapse at absolute zero?

If spacetime collapse at absolute zero is proven to be true, it could have significant consequences for our understanding of the universe and could potentially lead to the development of new technologies and advancements in physics. However, there could also be potential risks and dangers associated with manipulating and testing the fabric of spacetime.