Latex Extension (Beta): Firefox Only

In summary, the conversation is discussing a beta version of a LaTeX extension for the Firefox browser that is being developed and may be submitted to addons.mozilla soon. The extension has some remaining issues and the developer is open to suggestions for improvements. The conversation also briefly mentions a wiki that hasn't been worked on due to exams and the process of installing the extension on Firefox.
Thrice
LaTeX extension (beta)

http://www.mathphyswiki.com/index.php?title=Latex_extension

Firefox only, sorry. It's supposed to help with doing latex.

Some issues left. It crashes sometimes. I'm taking suggestions on anything, from adding a function to a UI overhaul. I haven't even settled on a name yet. Hoping to keep that minimalist look. If everything goes well, I'll probably submit it to addons.mozilla at the end of the week.

As for the wiki, I started it a while ago, but haven't had time to work on it due to finals. Hoping to get something in over break. Edit it if you wish :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
That is a good idea, I will try it out, although I ussually don't have too much trouble with LaTeX. Maybe I'll have a few suggestions for you.

It gives me a reason to download firefox again, and I have been looking for one. :P

How do you start using it? I have never dl'd a firefox extension. :(

It is installed and is under "add-ons." I just don't know how to activate it.

Yeah I need to make that less hidden. Click the little orb on the statusbar. Down at the bottom of the window.

(for anyone who doesn't know how to install it, just drag it to a firefox window)

1. What is Latex Extension (Beta)?

Latex Extension (Beta) is a browser extension available for Firefox that allows users to easily add mathematical equations and symbols to their online content using LaTeX coding.

2. How does Latex Extension (Beta) work?

Once installed, Latex Extension (Beta) appears as a button on the top right corner of the Firefox browser. Users can click on the button to open a pop-up window where they can type in their LaTeX code. The extension then converts the code into a visual representation of the equation or symbol and inserts it into the content.

3. Is Latex Extension (Beta) compatible with all websites?

No, Latex Extension (Beta) is currently only compatible with websites that allow HTML and JavaScript code to be inserted. This includes most blogging platforms, social media sites, and online document editors.

4. Are there any limitations to using Latex Extension (Beta)?

One limitation of Latex Extension (Beta) is that it only works in Firefox. It is currently not available for other browsers. Additionally, the extension may not work on websites that have strict security settings or do not allow third-party extensions.

5. Can I customize the appearance of the equations and symbols inserted by Latex Extension (Beta)?

Yes, Latex Extension (Beta) allows users to customize the font, size, and color of the equations and symbols inserted. This can be done through the extension's settings menu.