Proving Existence of x for x2=2: Understanding the Confusing Line

In summary, in the given proof, the author defines a set S of real numbers and shows that it contains all numbers less than 2. However, the author also claims that S does not contain numbers greater than or equal to 2, which is contradictory. This discrepancy may be due to a typo.
operationsres
I can't understand a statement in a proof in a textbook.

I'm going to terminate the proof at the line that I don't understand.

Homework Statement

Prove that there exists an [itex]x \in \mathbb{R}[/itex] such that x2=2.2. Their proof until line I don't understand
For this, we define [tex] S:= \{y \in \mathbb{R} : 0 \leq y^2 \leq 2\} [/tex] Since [itex]0 \in S[/itex], S is a nonempty. Further, S does not contain real numbers y≥2 since the last inequality implies that [itex]y^2 - 2 = (y-2)(y+2)+2 \geq 2[/itex] ...

3. Reason why I don't understand
In the definition of S, they say that [itex]0 \leq y^2 \leq 2[/itex]. Subtracting 2 from everything, [itex]-2 \leq y^2 - 2 \leq 0[/itex], which leads to [itex]y^2 - 2 \geq -2[/itex] ... But they've claimed that [itex]y^2 - 2 \geq 2[/itex] - why?

Physics news on Phys.org

It is most likely a typo. If y^2 - 2 >= 2, then y^2 >= 4, which is clearly wrong.

operationsres said:
I can't understand a statement in a proof in a textbook.

I'm going to terminate the proof at the line that I don't understand.

Homework Statement

Prove that there exists an [itex]x \in \mathbb{R}[/itex] such that x2=2.2. Their proof until line I don't understand
For this, we define [tex] S:= \{y \in \mathbb{R} : 0 \leq y^2 \leq 2\} [/tex] Since [itex]0 \in S[/itex], S is a nonempty. Further, S does not contain real numbers y≥2 since the last inequality implies that [itex]y^2 - 2 = (y-2)(y+2)+2 \geq 2[/itex] ...

3. Reason why I don't understand
In the definition of S, they say that [itex]0 \leq y^2 \leq 2[/itex]. Subtracting 2 from everything, [itex]-2 \leq y^2 - 2 \leq 0[/itex], which leads to [itex]y^2 - 2 \geq -2[/itex] ... But they've claimed that [itex]y^2 - 2 \geq 2[/itex] - why?

I think it means this:

If [itex]y \in S[/itex] then [itex]y^2 \leq 2[/itex] and so [itex]y^2 - 2 \leq 0[/itex].

However, if [itex]y \geq 2[/itex] then [itex]y-2 \geq 0[/itex] and so [itex]y^2 - 2 = (y-2)(y+2)+2 \geq 2[/itex]. That is [itex]y^2 - 2 > 0[/itex], which is a contradiction.

1. What is the significance of proving the existence of x for x2=2?

The equation x2=2 is known as the "confusing line" because it has no rational solution. Therefore, proving the existence of a value for x that satisfies this equation would challenge traditional mathematical concepts and open up new possibilities in mathematics.

2. How can you prove the existence of x for x2=2?

There are several methods to prove the existence of x for x2=2, including using the intermediate value theorem, the bisection method, or the decimal expansion method. Each method involves finding an approximation for the irrational solution of the equation.

3. Why is the existence of x for x2=2 significant in mathematics?

The existence of x for x2=2 is significant because it shows that there are solutions to equations that were previously thought to have none. This challenges traditional mathematical thinking and expands our understanding of numbers and equations.

4. Is proving the existence of x for x2=2 important in other fields of science?

Yes, the concept of proving the existence of a solution for an equation has applications in various fields of science, including physics, chemistry, and computer science. It allows for the development of new models and theories that can better explain natural phenomena or solve complex problems.

5. Can the existence of x for x2=2 be proven definitively?

While there are various methods to prove the existence of x for x2=2, the exact value of x is an irrational number and cannot be expressed as a finite decimal or fraction. Therefore, the existence of x can only be approximated, but not definitively proven.