1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Textbook's corollary of [itex]S := \{y \in \mathbb{R} : 0 \leq y^2 \leq 2 \}[/itex]

1. Jul 28, 2012 #1
    I can't understand a statement in a proof in a textbook.

I'm going to terminate the proof at the line that I don't understand.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove that there exists an [itex]x \in \mathbb{R}[/itex] such that x2=2.

2. Their proof until line I don't understand
    For this, we define [tex] S:= \{y \in \mathbb{R} : 0 \leq y^2 \leq 2\} [/tex] Since [itex]0 \in S[/itex], S is a nonempty. Further, S does not contain real numbers y≥2 since the last inequality implies that [itex]y^2 - 2 = (y-2)(y+2)+2 \geq 2[/itex] ............

3. Reason why I don't understand
    In the definition of S, they say that [itex]0 \leq y^2 \leq 2[/itex]. Subtracting 2 from everything, [itex]-2 \leq y^2 - 2 \leq 0[/itex], which leads to [itex]y^2 - 2 \geq -2[/itex] ... But they've claimed that [itex]y^2 - 2 \geq 2[/itex] - why?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 28, 2012 #2
    Re: Textbook's corollary of [itex]S := \{y \in \mathbb{R} : 0 \leq y^2 \leq 2 \}[/ite

It is most likely a typo. If y^2 - 2 >= 2, then y^2 >= 4, which is clearly wrong.

4. Jul 28, 2012 #3
    Re: Textbook's corollary of [itex]S := \{y \in \mathbb{R} : 0 \leq y^2 \leq 2 \}[/ite

I think it means this:

If [itex]y \in S[/itex] then [itex]y^2 \leq 2[/itex] and so [itex]y^2 - 2 \leq 0[/itex].

However, if [itex]y \geq 2[/itex] then [itex]y-2 \geq 0[/itex] and so [itex]y^2 - 2 = (y-2)(y+2)+2 \geq 2[/itex]. That is [itex]y^2 - 2 > 0[/itex], which is a contradiction.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook