Textbooks for Atomic and Molecular quantum mechanics?

In summary, the conversation is about the topic of quantum mechanics, specifically studying further on atomic and molecular quantum mechanics. The person is looking for textbook recommendations on these topics and someone suggests a book called "Molecular Quantum Mechanics_P Atkins__R. Friedman". Another person also recommends a book they recently ordered on Amazon that is clear and easy to follow.
ninoyrahman
Hi, i am self studying quantum mechanics. I completed reading of "Quantum Physics_Eisberg, Resnick" and "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics - D. Griffiths". I want to study further on Atomic and Molecular quantum mechanics. Can anyone suggest me textbook on those topics?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm interested in this too. So hopefully someone replies with specific recommendations.

I've been poking around amazon, and it looks like the main subject areas (based on tables of contents of various books) are:
Molecular quantum mechanics
Molecular physics
Quantum chemistry
Computational chemistry

I currently posses a book named "Molecular Quantum Mechanics_P Atkins__R. Friedman". But i am not sure is it worth reading.

Recommendation Please.

Thank u redrzewski.

FAQ: Textbooks for Atomic and Molecular quantum mechanics?

1. What is the difference between atomic and molecular quantum mechanics?

Atomic quantum mechanics deals with the behavior of individual atoms, while molecular quantum mechanics focuses on the interactions between multiple atoms and molecules.

2. What are the main topics covered in textbooks for atomic and molecular quantum mechanics?

Some common topics include wave-particle duality, energy levels and transitions, quantum tunneling, and molecular bonding and spectroscopy.

3. How does quantum mechanics explain the properties and behavior of atoms and molecules?

Quantum mechanics uses mathematical equations and models to describe the behavior of particles at the atomic and molecular level, taking into account their wave-like nature and inherent uncertainty.

4. Are there any practical applications for understanding atomic and molecular quantum mechanics?

Yes, understanding these principles is crucial for fields such as materials science, nanotechnology, and chemistry, as well as advancements in technology such as quantum computing.

5. What are some recommended textbooks for learning about atomic and molecular quantum mechanics?

Some popular choices include "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by David Griffiths, "Molecular Quantum Mechanics" by Peter Atkins and Ronald Friedman, and "Modern Quantum Chemistry" by Attila Szabo and Neil Ostlund.