Thanking Veterans: A Show of Appreciation

• Thread starter lisab
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thanks
In summary, the speakers express gratitude for each other's service and share their experiences in the military, including living in Germany and Vietnam. They also mention their father's service in World War II and thank all veterans for their service.
lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I'm thankful for your service :approve:.

Physics news on Phys.org
It was a pleasure :). Mostly.

You're welcome :biggrin:

I had it pretty easy though. Lived in Schwäbisch Hall, Germany for three years. It was beautiful. I can't believe it's been over twenty years since I left.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUjMKRafQg8

MarneMath said:
It was a pleasure :). Mostly.
Ha! I did my share of grumbling.

Two times in Vietnam. You are welcome!

Cheers,
Bobbywhy

MarneMath said:
The best part of my Army career was living in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vicenza. The worse part of my army career was living in Vicenza.

Interesting, when I was there, we just moved some of that same lot -I guess- to Poggio Renatico.

My father is my favorite veteran. He quit school to join the Airborne for WWII, broke his ankle in a training drop, participated in Patton's armored thrust into Germany, and served out his enlistment as a motor-pool grunt in Belgium.

He doesn't talk about it much, but I remember when I was a little kid that his HS awarded him a diploma, years after the fact. I found out from my grandmother that he was always at or near the top of his class... Not bad for a kid from a broken home.

Thank you all, veterans, for your service.

What is the purpose of "Thanking Veterans: A Show of Appreciation"?

The purpose of "Thanking Veterans: A Show of Appreciation" is to honor and express gratitude towards veterans for their service and sacrifices to our country.

Why is it important to thank veterans?

It is important to thank veterans because they have selflessly served our country, risking their lives and making sacrifices to protect our freedoms and way of life. Showing appreciation and gratitude is a small way to acknowledge and honor their service.

How can I show my appreciation to veterans?

There are many ways to show appreciation to veterans, such as saying "thank you" when you see a veteran in public, volunteering at a veterans organization, writing letters or sending care packages to active duty service members, or donating to charities that support veterans.

What are some common misconceptions about veterans?

Some common misconceptions about veterans include that they are all suffering from PTSD, that they are all homeless, or that they all receive free healthcare for life. While these may apply to some veterans, they do not represent the experiences of all veterans.

How can we support veterans beyond just saying "thank you"?

Beyond saying "thank you," we can support veterans by advocating for policies and programs that benefit them, such as access to healthcare, education, and employment opportunities. We can also support veterans by being understanding and compassionate towards any challenges they may face upon returning to civilian life.