Got my Thank you for your Service Lic Plate

In summary: Most states have them, but not all. Police may give you a warning, but I have never been cited. In summary, the "Thank you for your service" benefit is that police will not cite you for traffic violations.
airborne18
Got my "Thank you for your Service" Lic Plate

today I got my state Disabled Veteran Tag. Not for vanity reasons, though a lot of veterans get various veterans tags for that purpose. I have nothing against it.

But the DAV tag and a few others have a very special purpose, and why they have very strict requirements.

I call it the "Thank you for your service" benefit. Police will not cite you for traffic violations. They will stop you and give you a warning, then hand you back your license and say "Thank you for your service".

In the odd case I get a ticket, I just call the Attorney Generals office and they won't prosecute.

My wife has never gotten a ticket.. the woman thing. No I don't either. Ha.

Physics news on Phys.org

:approve: Wear it (well, display it) proudly! Thank you, airborne18.

They don't charge you for traffic violations? And how does that work? Or is it simply something they do because of the tag?

My father was legally blinded in WWII when he was hit in the face with shrapnel. He was completely blind in one eye and had a pinhole vision in the other eye and drove to work until his early death, staying to back roads. He never got a special plate, is that something you have to request, or is that something new? He died when he was 53.

Evo said:
My father was legally blinded in WWII when he was hit in the face with shrapnel. He was completely blind in one eye and had a pinhole vision in the other eye and drove to work until his early death, staying to back roads. He never got a special plate, is that something you have to request, or is that something new? He died when he was 53.

Wow, sorry to hear about that. They vary from state to state and I can't speak to how long, but some states have had them forever. You have to specifically request them, and I don't know about all states, but most should have one.

Though back then the VA was worthless. Did your father ever fight it with the VA? The VA has to approve these plates, and a lot of vets from that era didn't want anything to do with the VA.

In some states it is a special handicap tag, and in others it is simply a tag designating status as a Disabled Veteran. I can imagine that states who combine it with the Handicap Tag probably didn't have it that long, because handicap tags really are a newer concept. Was there handicap parking before the 1970's? That is when I remember seeing them pop up, but I am only 43.

They usually have special plates for Medal of Honor, POW, Silver Star, and Purple Heart reciepents.
But the 4 I mentioned all get special treatment with most police along with the disabled veteran.

lisab said:
:approve: Wear it (well, display it) proudly! Thank you, airborne18.

Thanks lisa. I actually thought of making a style out of it, like a rapper, but a big chain on it and wear it around. Not kidding. My wife said NO.

My wife has to put up with a lot of my quirks. Luckily my daughter is back at college. That was actually my real reason for leaving the house. To visit my daughter up at UofD. She need some things from home. This is her second year of Comp Eng. There are not many females in the EE or CE program. Half of them left the major at the end of the freshman year. There are only 2 left in the CE program. And after this semester the other female might change majors, so my daughter will be the sole survior.

jarednjames said:
They don't charge you for traffic violations? And how does that work? Or is it simply something they do because of the tag?

I have gotten out of them without the tag, once they realize I am a disabled vet they typically would just warn me that I was pushing it a bit.

You realize that Police never get tickets? They call it professional courtesy. It is the same thing really.

But even if I would get a ticket the state will not prosecute them, unless it was something really out there. Like driving 100 in a 15 mph.. ( last time I was stopped I missed that it was a school zone. I was doing 50 in a school zone. It was not intentional and I felt bad.. But I never got a ticket once the officer saw all of my VA stuff all over the seat and realized I was a disabled vet ).

It is not a license to steal, and there are things it will not get me out of, but normal traffic tickets, yes.

airborne18 said:
Wow, sorry to hear about that. They vary from state to state and I can't speak to how long, but some states have had them forever. You have to specifically request them, and I don't know about all states, but most should have one.

Though back then the VA was worthless. Did your father ever fight it with the VA? The VA has to approve these plates, and a lot of vets from that era didn't want anything to do with the VA.

In some states it is a special handicap tag, and in others it is simply a tag designating status as a Disabled Veteran. I can imagine that states who combine it with the Handicap Tag probably didn't have it that long, because handicap tags really are a newer concept. Was there handicap parking before the 1970's? That is when I remember seeing them pop up, but I am only 43.

They usually have special plates for Medal of Honor, POW, Silver Star, and Purple Heart reciepents.
But the 4 I mentioned all get special treatment with most police along with the disabled veteran.
He really should have not had a drivers license to be honest. He had friends in the police department that got the vision test waved, so he did have a valid driver's license, and he went only on back streets probably never going above 25 MPH. But he never had a special tag. Perhaps he didn't want to make anyone aware he had a license.

My family is all military, I lived in condemned substandard military housing for 3 years during the vietnam war while married to my first husband. I have the highest regard for our men and women that serve our country. I'm sorry to hear that you were disabled. We as a country do not do enough for our wounded.

airborne18 said:
I have gotten out of them without the tag, once they realize I am a disabled vet they typically would just warn me that I was pushing it a bit.

You realize that Police never get tickets? They call it professional courtesy. It is the same thing really.

But even if I would get a ticket the state will not prosecute them, unless it was something really out there. Like driving 100 in a 15 mph.. ( last time I was stopped I missed that it was a school zone. I was doing 50 in a school zone. It was not intentional and I felt bad.. But I never got a ticket once the officer saw all of my VA stuff all over the seat and realized I was a disabled vet ).

It is not a license to steal, and there are things it will not get me out of, but normal traffic tickets, yes.

Ah I'm with you.

Sounds good, should display it proudly!

Evo said:
I'm sorry to hear that you were disabled. We as a country do not do enough for our wounded.

I can second that opinion in the Indian context. Its very sad and angers me a lot to see that when there's an armed conflict, the whole country supports the armed forces, but as soon as its over and the press has something better to talk about, we, as a society forget. Soldiers need to know that the people they risk their lives for give appreciate and greatly value their efforts in the first place.

I hope you're kidding, otherwise that's ridiculous: because you fought in a war you now get to be above the law? And not only that, you proudly advertise that the only reason you want this "honour" is so you can openly bypass the law? What a weird country.

cristo said:
I hope you're kidding, otherwise that's ridiculous: because you fought in a war you now get to be above the law? And not only that, you proudly advertise that the only reason you want this "honour" is so you can openly bypass the law? What a weird country.

Nope, not kidding. Well you are understating it just a smidge. I am permently disabled.

And why not, police let people off on tickets every day. Other police, women they think are cute. So why not me?

airborne18 said:
Nope, not kidding. Well you are understating it just a smidge. I am permently disabled.

Ok, but the fact that you are permanently disabled, while obviously a terrible thing to have happen, shouldn't be an automatic ticket to immunity. You seem to be touting it like it is.

cristo said:

You would be surprised just what certain people can get away with. Same with EMS and firefighters - there are some things cops will look away from, and we will look away from certain things cops do. Military has those perks because a lot of cops are reservists

cronxeh said:
You would be surprised just what certain people can get away with. Same with EMS and firefighters - there are some things cops will look away from, and we will look away from certain things cops do. Military has those perks because a lot of cops are reservists

Yep, that's true. But when a cop does that, he does so at his own peril. If he were to allow a drunk driver to "just drive home" as a professional courtesy to a fellow cop, and that drunk kills someone...the cop that allowed it is in big big big trouble.

So when they let things slide, it's usually small things.

http://www.seattlepi.com/specials/undueinfluence/326602_favorsbear07.html" they recognize each other. I got to get me one of those!

Last edited by a moderator:

Well I've seen drunk firemen driven home by the cop with just a warning, I've seen cops rough up a perp and then ask EMS to write in report that they found him that way. Its all like an X Files episode. There is enough plausible deniability for the case to just not stick. Often a beaten up perp won't even remember what happened. The cops don't get paid enough for the crappy job they get to do and the shield suppliments in other ways

Ivan Seeking said:
Weird that you would blame the whole country just because some people abuse their position. That is quite a leap in logic.

From the OP's arguments, it seems that every veteran is eligible for one of these get out of jail free cards.

cristo said:
From the OP's arguments, it seems that every veteran is eligible for one of these get out of jail free cards.

It's not a get out of jail free card. Every disabled veteran is eligible to get a tag that says he's a disabled veteran. The only legal benefit might be a reduced registration fee or preferential parking. A cop's decision to not cite a guy for a minor moving violation because he has such a tag is each individual cop's decision. If you're weaving in and out of traffic at 130 while legally intoxicated, no cop is going to let you go regardless of who you are (except maybe if you're also a cop).

For what it's worth, when you're still in the service and driving on post, the MPs will cite you for the exact letter of the law, such as doing 36 in a 35 zone, or failing to come to a complete stop for a full 3 seconds at a stop sign. So you catch it both ways.

If you donate to the Police Benefits Association (at least in NJ) they give you a sticker you put on your windshield and it has a similar effect. My dad was pulled over going 50 when the limit was 35 and they ended up saying they pulled him over because they mistakenly thought his seat belt was unbuckled or something stupid

cristo said:
Ok, but the fact that you are permanently disabled, while obviously a terrible thing to have happen, shouldn't be an automatic ticket to immunity. You seem to be touting it like it is.

I don't think the poster was 'touting' anything. Your comment is rather one-sided and to be honest a bit nasty. The guy is permanently disabled for serving his country and so I think he deserves some recognition for this at least! Its really not very nice of you to rain on his parade like this.

nucleargirl said:
I don't think the poster was 'touting' anything.

cf. post #1:

I call it the "Thank you for your service" benefit. Police will not cite you for traffic violations.

cristo said:
cf. post #1:

I never said every veteran is entilted to one of these plates. It is the fact that I am totally disabled as a result of my service. And it was a pain in the butt to get it.

I actually really don't drive that much, and I don't drive well because I totally disabled. So anything to help me not get cited for a ticket fine.

And the MP's on base will cite me. Part of being a totally disabled veteran is that I get military privleges.

See there are many little benefits given to me for being a totally disabled veteran. Like I don't have to get a license to fish or hunt. I can hunt and fish anytime I want, but the problem is I can't do those activities. Ironic isn't it?

There are a lot of little perks, but those will never make up for my disabilties. I was injured when I was 19 and just married 2 months. I would trade anything for me not to be disabled.

That picture in my avatar, what you don't see, which I cropped out. Is my leg brace and walker. That is not a smile, that is a grimace from the intense pain I was in.

I could whine all day about my disabilties, or make light of the fact that I get some benefit out of it. I choose to make light of it.

I don't get cited in France either, and probably not the UK. ( though i have to send in my membership for the P.R.A. associate membership ).

That sucks, dude. But you get painkillers at least not to mention you still got you brain intact. I never really considered mobility all that useful unless you have to work.

Enlist in college, GI bill should pay for it. Maybe you can become a nerd like us

cronxeh said:
That sucks, dude. But you get painkillers at least not to mention you still got you brain intact. I never really considered mobility all that useful unless you have to work.

Enist in college, GI bill should pay for it

I actually am in college. The VA has a really good college deal for us disabled. They pay for everything, plus a monthly stipend.

Actually my brain is not all together. Your nervous system starts to rewire the brain when you have nerve damage. It is a self defense thing and I have a lot of weird issues. I have a hard time connecting thoughts at times.

It is what it is. Advanced math helps.. it seems like it gets both sides of my brain working together. I have a hard time keeping it though. So I keep going through the same cycles learning various theories and then I lose them. But it is helping.

I never really considered mobility all that useful unless you have to work.

I don't think you've really thought this through

That is how I found this website. I am doing a lot with graph theory and game theory. Though tomorrow I start back on basic Integration and a refresher in Trig.

Glad you're in school. After the war my dad worked full time while attending college at night, supporting a wife and two small children. He got a degree in Electrical Engineering, he never told anyone about his blindness.

Mental activities should help with the re-wiring.

Good luck to you!

lisab said:
Yep, that's true. But when a cop does that, he does so at his own peril. If he were to allow a drunk driver to "just drive home" as a professional courtesy to a fellow cop, and that drunk kills someone...the cop that allowed it is in big big big trouble.

I was not expecting this personal thread turn into this discussion but I believe these "professional courtesy" are wrong because one of the main point of giving tickets is to discourage wrong behavior on road. Giving tickets is supposed to bring down the probability of that happening. No matter what one do or what one is, he/she should not be able to get away. There are much better ways to honor and anything that allow people to break laws or regulations (or putting in other words relaxing regulations/laws for those people) is not the right way.

Last edited:

rootX said:
I was not expecting this personal thread turn into this discussion but I believe these "professional courtesy" are wrong because one of the main point of giving tickets is to discourage wrong behavior on road. Giving tickets is supposed to bring down the probability of that happening. No matter what one do or what one is, he/she should not be able to get away. There are much better ways to honor and anything that allow people to break laws or regulations (or putting in other words relaxing regulations/laws for those people) is not the right way.

Police everywhere exercise their discretion each time they stop someone. Where my wife grew up her family grew up with a family that were police. None of them ever got tickets.

I look at it this way. I have to drive 180 miles round trip to go to the doctor. I had an appointment this morning. Is that fair? If they made retired people on medicare drive long distances for doctors appointments there would be protest riots in the streets. But it is okay that veterans have to drive long distances for basic healthcare.

So I don't mind getting out of tickets. not at all. And I don't mind being happy about it.

But this thread really has gone to neverland at this point.

Yeah its best to lock this thread on the side of caution, before I get subpoenaed to testify for something :yuck:

cronxeh said:
Yeah its best to lock this thread on the side of caution, before I get subpoenaed to testify for something :yuck:

Touche

I don't want to add insult to injury, nor degrade individuals who put their bodies on the line for what they believe in, but I don't think it is right to defer further than that.

Isn't the main reason for traffic penalties to protect innocent people from the elevated risks inflicted by antisocial behaviours of drivers? If your driving really has been so impaired by your current health as you have described, why aren't trying to compensate with driving best-practices? Does everyone need reminding that there is a better way that drivers can avoid traffic tickets? As for police nepotism, surely that's something else we can all rally against?

Last edited:

I guess my problem is why are you getting pulled over all of the time for traffic violations? I've only gotten one ticket in 15 years and that one was because it was a speed trap, there was going to be construction the next day and the speed limit was reduced but the construction signs had not been put up yet, it was at night and I never saw that the speed sign was changed (the officer swore it was, I didn't see it). I got the ticket dropped.

Are you really that bad of a driver? If so, why?

Evo said:
I guess my problem is why are you getting pulled over all of the time for traffic violations? I've only gotten one ticket in 15 years and that one was because it was a speed trap, there was going to be construction the next day and the speed limit was reduced but the construction signs had not been put up yet, it was at night and I never saw that the speed sign was changed (the officer swore it was, I didn't see it). I got the ticket dropped.

Are you really that bad of a driver? If so, why?

I actually don't get pulled over that much. Years ago when I was working and commuting I got stopped so much the PA State Police used to invite me to the christmas party.

I got stopped a lot when the Seatbelt law went into effect in DE. I do have a habit of speeding, but no more than most people.

It is one of those things. Does everyone do 55 on the highway? No. If you do 55 you are in the slow lane getting lapped. And when police decide to setup a speed trap they really is arbitrary on whether you are going to be caught.

People have radar dectors so they can avoid getting tickets.

I wish police could enforce a lot more of the laws. Handicap parking is my pet peeve. The only time police enforce that is when they need to fill a ticket quota. Otherwise you can park at will in handicap spots and you rarely will ever see anyone get the ticket for it.

And I don't mind that people have an issue with it. I am not taking it as an attack on me.

1. What is the purpose of the "Got my Thank you for your Service Lic Plate"?

The purpose of the "Got my Thank you for your Service Lic Plate" is to show appreciation and support for individuals who have served in the military. It is a way to honor their sacrifices and contributions to their country.

2. How can I obtain a "Got my Thank you for your Service Lic Plate"?

You can obtain a "Got my Thank you for your Service Lic Plate" by contacting your local Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) or by ordering one online through a licensed vendor. You may need to provide proof of military service in order to receive the plate.

3. Can anyone get a "Got my Thank you for your Service Lic Plate"?

No, only individuals who have served in the military are eligible for a "Got my Thank you for your Service Lic Plate." This includes veterans, active duty service members, and retired military personnel.

4. Are there any additional fees for a "Got my Thank you for your Service Lic Plate"?

Yes, there may be additional fees for a "Got my Thank you for your Service Lic Plate" on top of the regular vehicle registration fees. These fees vary by state and may also depend on the type of vehicle you have.

5. Can I personalize my "Got my Thank you for your Service Lic Plate"?

It depends on the state you live in. Some states allow you to personalize your plate with a custom message or numbers, while others only offer the standard design. Check with your local DMV for more information on personalization options.