A Valid Position on Time Theory?

In summary, the conversation is about the speaker being confused about a quote and asking for help to understand and interpret it. The quote discusses the speaker's belief in the A-theory of time and rejection of four-dimensionalism or B-theory of time. They also reject a four-dimensionalist interpretation of general relativity and see gravitation as a force rather than spacetime curvature. The speaker asks for help in understanding if their belief in the A-theory allows them to avoid learning about general relativity and the Horizon Problem in cosmology. The response states that the speaker's beliefs are based on philosophical reasons and may not align with mainstream beliefs. The thread is closed due to the discussion of non-mainstream conjectures.
Cerenkov
Hello.

I'm a bit out of my depth on this one, so please bear with a beginner (me) trying to figure this out. Here's a quote that's thrown me and I'd like some help in understanding and interpreting it. Thank you.

"I am persuaded that a tensed theory (or so-called A-theory) of time is true (according to which temporal becoming is real and there is an objective difference between past, present, and future), I hold to a neo-Lorentzian interpretation of special relativity (according to which absolute simultaneity and length exist, even if we are unable to measure them due to the effects of uniform motion upon our measuring instruments). For the same reason, I reject four-dimensionalism or spacetime realism (a so-called B-theory of time, according to which all events in time are on an ontological par). But that leads me to reject, not general relativity, but a four-dimensionalist interpretation of general relativity. I see gravitation, not as spacetime curvature but as a force, just like the other forces of nature such as electromagnetism."

First, is this (holding to the A-theory) position a valid one?

Second, is inflationary cosmology based upon the A or B theory?

Third, if I hold to the A theory, does that allow me to sidestep the strictures of GR, when it comes to the Horizon Problem? That is, if I reject the four-dimensional interpretation of GR, will that allow me to avoid dealing with the problem of how the CMB on opposite sides of the universe are so closely in thermal equilibrium - to 1 part in 100,000, I believe?

Any help given (at a basic level, please) would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Cerenkov.

Space news on Phys.org
Cerenkov said:
Hello.

I'm a bit out of my depth on this one, so please bear with a beginner (me) trying to figure this out. Here's a quote that's thrown me and I'd like some help in understanding and interpreting it. Thank you.

"I am persuaded that a tensed theory (or so-called A-theory) of time is true (according to which temporal becoming is real and there is an objective difference between past, present, and future), I hold to a neo-Lorentzian interpretation of special relativity (according to which absolute simultaneity and length exist, even if we are unable to measure them due to the effects of uniform motion upon our measuring instruments). For the same reason, I reject four-dimensionalism or spacetime realism (a so-called B-theory of time, according to which all events in time are on an ontological par). But that leads me to reject, not general relativity, but a four-dimensionalist interpretation of general relativity. I see gravitation, not as spacetime curvature but as a force, just like the other forces of nature such as electromagnetism."

First, is this (holding to the A-theory) position a valid one?

Second, is inflationary cosmology based upon the A or B theory?

Third, if I hold to the A theory, does that allow me to sidestep the strictures of GR, when it comes to the Horizon Problem? That is, if I reject the four-dimensional interpretation of GR, will that allow me to avoid dealing with the problem of how the CMB on opposite sides of the universe are so closely in thermal equilibrium - to 1 part in 100,000, I believe?

Any help given (at a basic level, please) would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Cerenkov.

Roughly translated, I think it says: For philosphical reasons I reject the concept of four-dimensional spacetime and would rather believe an alternative theory that meets my a priori requirements for how nature must be.

If you are asking whether you can avoid learning GR and understand cosmology, then the answer is no.

Likes Comeback City, Ibix and Bandersnatch
We do not discuss unsourced non-mainstream conjectures, even to debunk them.

This thread is closed.

What is the A theory of time?

The A theory of time, also known as the presentism theory, states that only the present moment exists. The past and future do not have any real existence, but are mere concepts or illusions. This theory suggests that time is constantly moving and that the present moment is constantly changing.

What is the B theory of time?

The B theory of time, also known as the eternalism theory, states that all moments in time exist simultaneously. This theory suggests that time is similar to space and all moments in time are equally real. The past, present, and future all exist simultaneously and are fixed.

What are the main differences between the A and B theories of time?

The main difference between the A and B theories of time is the concept of the "now". The A theory believes that only the present moment is real, while the B theory believes that all moments in time are equally real. The A theory also suggests that time is constantly changing, while the B theory suggests that time is fixed. Additionally, the A theory argues for the existence of free will, while the B theory suggests that everything is predetermined.

Which theory is more widely accepted among scientists?

The B theory of time is more widely accepted among scientists. This is because the B theory is more in line with the laws of physics, particularly the theory of relativity. The B theory also has more empirical evidence to support it, such as the fact that we can observe events from the past and future through the use of telescopes and other technology.

How do the A and B theories of time impact our understanding of the universe and our place in it?

The A and B theories of time have significant implications for our understanding of the universe and our place in it. The A theory suggests that the present moment is the only reality, which can lead to a sense of urgency in making the most of our time. On the other hand, the B theory suggests that all moments in time are equally real, which can give a sense of comfort and acceptance of the past and future. These theories also impact our understanding of causality, with the A theory emphasizing free will and the B theory emphasizing determinism.