The acceleration of a moving pendulum

In summary, the acceleration of a pendulum bob is not constant throughout its journey. While the acceleration due to gravity remains constant, the acceleration due to the pivot point's force changes direction and therefore affects the total acceleration. Without the pivot point's force, the pendulum would simply continue falling.
Kyoma
A pendulum bob is released from a height in a non-ideal situation (that's there is friction). What I don't get it is the fact that the acceleration of the pendulum is actually constant. Why?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not quite up to speed on pendulums, what do you mean by the acceleration is constant?

The acceleration of the bob is the same throughout its journey. So, if a = 0, then it will be zero throughout its journey.

My understanding is that a pendulum dropped from point X has an intial acceleration due to gravity that depends on the angle of the pendulum from its pivot point. The closer to horizontal it is, the greater the inital acceleration. Once it passes that, the accelerations lessens and at the vertical point the acceleration is zero. After passing veritcal, the deceleration increases up to horizontal and then decreases after that. If the pendulum was dropped initially from below horizontal, the deceleration simply decreases until the pendulum reverses direction and then increases again.

That is my understanding of it. Is there something I've missed here?

The acceleration of the bob is the same throughout its journey. So, if a = 0, then it will be zero throughout its journey.

I don't see how the acceleration could be zero. If it was the pendulum wouldn't move at all.
Are you talking about the increase or decrease in acceleration?

If the acceleration is the same, it won't go back and forth, so it's not much of a pendulum.

The total acceleration is not constant. The acceleration due to gravity is constant, but the acceleration due to the force exerted by the pendulum's pivot point keeps changing direction. The total acceleration is the sum of gravity and that from the pivot point and it keeps changing. If pivot was cut so that it could no longer provide a force, the pendulum would just keep falling.

What is the acceleration of a moving pendulum?

The acceleration of a moving pendulum is the rate of change of its velocity over time. It is a vector quantity that is dependent on the pendulum's mass, length, and the force acting on it.

How is the acceleration of a moving pendulum calculated?

The acceleration of a moving pendulum can be calculated using the formula a = -g * sin(θ), where a is the acceleration, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and θ is the angle the pendulum makes with the vertical.

What factors affect the acceleration of a moving pendulum?

The acceleration of a moving pendulum is affected by its length, mass, and the force acting on it. A longer pendulum will have a smaller acceleration, while a heavier pendulum and a stronger force will result in a larger acceleration.

Does the acceleration of a moving pendulum change over time?

Yes, the acceleration of a moving pendulum changes over time as the pendulum swings back and forth. At the highest point of the swing, the acceleration is 0, while at the lowest point, it is at its maximum.

How does the acceleration of a moving pendulum relate to its period of oscillation?

The acceleration of a moving pendulum is directly proportional to its period of oscillation. This means that as the acceleration increases, the period of oscillation also increases. This relationship is described by the formula T = 2π * √(l/g), where T is the period, l is the length of the pendulum, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.