The angles between vectors?

In summary: So the answer must be somewhere in between the two. In other words, the magnitude of the vector-sum should be twice as large as the magnitude of the vector-difference.If vector A is a unit vector and lies along the x-axis, then its vector components are (1,0). If vector B makes some angle θ with A, then its vector components must be (cos(θ),sin(θ)). You can thus form A + B and A - B algebraically from those components. Write expressions for the magnitude of each and apply your required relationship between them.But the magnitude of the vector-sum is 120 times that of the vector-difference. The tangent formula only
madinsane

Homework Statement

Two vectors A and B have precisely equal magnitudes. In order for the magnitude of A+B to be 120 times larger than the magnitude of A-B , what must be the angle between them?

Homework Equations

None (i think)

The Attempt at a Solution

A+B=120(A-B)
(xi+yi)+(xi+yi)
2x+2y=120(2x+2y)
2x+2y+240x-240y
Then I don't know where to go from here
Is what I am doing even correct?
Point me in the right direction

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you learned about the vector inner or dot product? Look at its definition and usage.

jedishrfu said:
Have you learned about the vector inner or dot product? Look at its definition and usage.

No, please explain further

Draw a right-angled triangle ABC where BC is the hypotenuse, O is the midpoint of BC. You wil see that one of the two other sides is the magnitude of the vector-sum and the other is the magnitude of the vector-difference. A bit of trigonometry would lead you to the answer.

drawar said:
Draw a right-angled triangle ABC where BC is the hypotenuse, O is the midpoint of BC. You wil see that one of the two other sides is the magnitude of the vector-sum and the other is the magnitude of the vector-difference. A bit of trigonometry would lead you to the answer.

Could you please expand?
Like what is the significance of knowing O?,etc

madinsane said:

Homework Statement

Two vectors A and B have precisely equal magnitudes. In order for the magnitude of A+B to be 120 times larger than the magnitude of A-B , what must be the angle between them?

Homework Equations

None (i think)

The Attempt at a Solution

A+B=120(A-B)
(xi+yi)+(xi+yi)
2x+2y=120(2x+2y)
2x+2y+240x-240y
Then I don't know where to go from here
Is what I am doing even correct?
Point me in the right direction

You're free to choose whatever coordinate system and initial vector length you want to solve the problem. I might suggest that you choose a unit vector length and place your coordinate system so that one of the vectors lies along one of the coordinate axes. Then the other vector makes angle θ with that axis.

UUnuw.png

drawar said:
UUnuw.png

yeah, but how is that helpful/relevant?

Then the angle between vectors a and b is two times the angle between BC and AB, which should be calculated using tangent formula.

drawar said:
Then the angle between vectors a and b is two times the angle between BC and AB, which should be calculated using tangent formula.

Okay, I am starting to understand.
so if we name the angle between AB and BC as θ, then we can get it by,
Tan^-1(a-b/a+b)
then we multiply the result by 2
but then... we don't have a and b
all we know is that lAl=lBl
How can that help us get a and b?
Thank you so much btw...you're helping me h=get closer to the answer

gneill said:
You're free to choose whatever coordinate system and initial vector length you want to solve the problem. I might suggest that you choose a unit vector length and place your coordinate system so that one of the vectors lies along one of the coordinate axes. Then the other vector makes angle θ with that axis.

I don't know what you mean?
can you expand

gneill said:

madinsane said:
I don't know what you mean?
can you expand

If vector A is a unit vector and lies along the x-axis, then its vector components are (1,0). If vector B makes some angle θ with A, then its vector components must be (cos(θ),sin(θ)). You can thus form A + B and A - B algebraically from those components. Write expressions for the magnitude of each and apply your required relationship between them.

attachment.php?attachmentid=44375&stc=1&d=1330193482.gif

Attachments

• Fig1.gif
    Fig1.gif
    2 KB · Views: 943
But the magnitude of the vector-sum is 120 times that of the vector-difference. The tangent formula only requires a RATIO between two sides of the triangle.

1. What is the definition of angles between vectors?

The angle between two vectors is the amount of rotation required to align one vector with the other. It is measured in degrees or radians and can range from 0° (parallel) to 180° (anti-parallel).

2. How do you calculate the angle between two vectors?

The angle between two vectors can be calculated using the dot product formula: θ = cos⁻¹((a∙b)/(√(a²)√(b²))). Alternatively, you can use the cross product formula: θ = sin⁻¹((|a∧b|)/(√(a²)√(b²))).

3. Can the angle between two vectors be negative?

No, the angle between two vectors is always positive. However, if the vectors are facing in opposite directions, the angle will be 180°, which is sometimes represented as -180°.

4. What is the significance of the angle between vectors in physics?

The angle between vectors is important in physics because it determines the direction of the resultant vector when adding or subtracting vectors. It is also used in calculations involving forces, motion, and rotation.

5. How do the properties of vectors affect the angle between them?

The properties of vectors, such as magnitude and direction, determine the angle between them. Vectors with the same direction will have an angle of 0°, while vectors with opposite directions will have an angle of 180°. Vectors with different magnitudes but the same direction will have a smaller angle than vectors with different directions and similar magnitudes.