1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The angles between vectors?

1. Feb 25, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two vectors A and B have precisely equal magnitudes. In order for the magnitude of A+B to be 120 times larger than the magnitude of A-B , what must be the angle between them?

2. Relevant equations
    None (i think)

3. The attempt at a solution
    A+B=120(A-B)
    (xi+yi)+(xi+yi)
    2x+2y=120(2x+2y)
    2x+2y+240x-240y
    Then I dont know where to go from here
    Is what I am doing even correct?
    Point me in the right direction

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2012 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Have you learned about the vector inner or dot product? Look at its definition and usage.

4. Feb 25, 2012 #3
    No, please explain further

5. Feb 25, 2012 #4
    Draw a right-angled triangle ABC where BC is the hypotenuse, O is the midpoint of BC. You wil see that one of the two other sides is the magnitude of the vector-sum and the other is the magnitude of the vector-difference. A bit of trigonometry would lead you to the answer.

6. Feb 25, 2012 #5
    Could you please expand?
    Like what is the significance of knowing O?,etc

7. Feb 25, 2012 #6

gneill

You're free to choose whatever coordinate system and initial vector length you want to solve the problem. I might suggest that you choose a unit vector length and place your coordinate system so that one of the vectors lies along one of the coordinate axes. Then the other vector makes angle θ with that axis.

8. Feb 25, 2012 #7
  9. Feb 25, 2012 #8
    yeah, but how is that helpful/relevant?

10. Feb 25, 2012 #9
    Then the angle between vectors a and b is two times the angle between BC and AB, which should be calculated using tangent formula.

11. Feb 25, 2012 #10
    Okay, I am starting to understand.
    so if we name the angle between AB and BC as θ, then we can get it by,
    Tan^-1(a-b/a+b)
    then we multiply the result by 2
    but then... we dont have a and b
    all we know is that lAl=lBl
    How can that help us get a and b?
    Thank you so much btw...you're helping me h=get closer to the answer

12. Feb 25, 2012 #11
    I dont know what you mean?
    can you expand

13. Feb 25, 2012 #12

gneill

If vector A is a unit vector and lies along the x-axis, then its vector components are (1,0). If vector B makes some angle θ with A, then its vector components must be (cos(θ),sin(θ)). You can thus form A + B and A - B algebraically from those components. Write expressions for the magnitude of each and apply your required relationship between them.

attachment.php?attachmentid=44375&stc=1&d=1330193482.gif

Attached Files:

14. Feb 25, 2012 #13
    But the magnitude of the vector-sum is 120 times that of the vector-difference. The tangent formula only requires a RATIO between two sides of the triangle.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook