1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The angular velocity of a process control motor is (21−(1/2t^2)) rad/s

1. Sep 20, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The angular velocity of a process control motor is (21−(1/2t^2)) rad/s, where t is in seconds.

1.) At what time does the motor reverse direction?

2.) Through what angle does the motor turn between t =0 s and the instant at which it reverses direction?

2. Relevant equations
    angular velocity of a process control motor is (21−(1/2t^2)) rad/s

3. The attempt at a solution
    For part 1 I just set the equation equal to 0 and got a time of 6.5 sec, which is correct

For part 2, I have no idea what to do. Nothing is working, so if you could help, that would be great! I have tried taking the derivative to find acceleration, which is -t, and then plugging that into θf = θi + ωi(t) + 1/2a(t^2). I set θi = 0 because I figured there would initially be no angle. I set ωi = 21 because at t=0, ω = 21. I set t= 6.5, and a=-6.5...so my equation was θf = 0 + 21(6.5s) + 1/2(-6.5)(6.5s^2), but the answer came to like -0.8125 rad? is that right? it seems odd to me...

Last edited: Sep 20, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2013 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Hi zapzapper, Welcome to Physics Forums.

It appears that you're familiar with calculus since you mentioned taking a derivative.

Suppose this were a linear motion problem and you were given a velocity function v(t). How would you go about finding d(t) using calculus? You can apply the same method to rotational motion where velocity is represented by the variable ω and distance by θ.

4. Sep 20, 2013 #3
    ok, I'll integrate the function

Last edited: Sep 20, 2013
  5. Sep 20, 2013 #4
    oh ok, so I just integrate the function then?, If I integrate it then I get (21t - (1/6t^3) + c), what do i do with the constant c though?

6. Sep 20, 2013 #5

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are trying to find the total angular displacement between two known times. What happens to the constant of integration when you evaluate a definite integral?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted