What Substances Exist in the Atmosphere of Our Galaxy?

In summary: Summary, the galaxy is mostly empty space (no atmosphere at all) with a few atoms of hydrogen scattered about. If there is any object flying in space, there will be no friction or if any, they will be very small.
Pattielli
Would you please tell me what is in there ? I mean what substances are existing ? Where can i find out some information about this ?

Thank you very much,

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Can you clarify your question? Do you mean Earth's atmosphere? Or do you mean what substances are present in the galaxy in general? Or our solar system? Or something else?

In general, the "galaxy" - - which includes hundreds of billions of stars, etc. - - is mostly empty space (no atmosphere at all) except for a few atoms of hydrogen scattered about.

Oh yes, i am so sorry, i am just really absolutely ignorant about this, that is why I didn't know how to say about what I would like to know...Honestly, i don't know..

Thanks for your help.
is mostly empty space (no atmosphere at all) except for a few atoms of hydrogen scattered about.
That is what i would like to know, and from what you explained, that means there is only hydrogens and no other atoms ?
If there is any object flying in space, there will be no frictions or if any, they will be very small, right ?

Thank you very much

The ISM (inter-stellar medium) is, as Phobos said, pretty close to a vaccuum. In fact, it's mostly a better vacuum than we can create here on Earth. :surprise:

However, it's not a total vaccuum, rather (for the most part) a very thin plasma. But then, looking more closely, it's actually a plasma with an enormous variation in density, even though all of it is still a very good vaccuum! :eek:

When I return to the world of decent internet connections (about 10 days), if folk are still interested, I'll post a few links (though an hour's search with Google will probably give you much of what I'd post anyway).

The composition of the plasma? Mostly hydrogen, some helium, and ~<a few % of all other elements.

Interestingly, the ISM also has a 'dust' component, made up of fine grains, of varying sizes. A small %-age of the meteorites that you see (mostly the very faint ones) are interstellar dust grains; it may be that the Stardust mission has captured a few too; we'll know in a few years' time.

Okay, Thank you very much and much more if you are willing to give me an answer to Where are your links ?...:sm:

Last edited:
Pattielli said:
Oh yes, i am so sorry, i am just really absolutely ignorant about this, that is why I didn't know how to say about what I would like to know...Honestly, i don't know..

No problem - - We like explaining this stuff. :smile:

That is what i would like to know, and from what you explained, that means there is only hydrogens and no other atoms ?

When the universe first formed (roughly speaking), about 75% of all matter was hydrogen. The rest was nearly all helium and a tiny bit of lithium. So that is what you would expect to find a scattering of in empty space.

Gravity pulled together some of the denser clouds of this hydrogen-helium and formed stars. Stars jammed those atoms together (fusion) to form the heavier elements. Large stars "died" as supernova explosions which sent those heavier atoms (and created some even heavier atoms) out into space. Gravity then made new generations of stars, planets, etc.

But nearly everywhere, atoms are very thinly spread such that "outer space" is empty...a vacuum...with just a few atoms here and there.

If there is any object flying in space, there will be no friction s or if any, they will be very small, right ?

Right. Essentially no friction. Take for example, the Earth going around the sun for billions of years and still going strong.

As Nereid said, there is also some dust here and there (e.g., heavier elements that have yet to accumulate into something larger...or dust blown off comets, etc.). That is not much of a friction factor either unless you design a spacecraft that starts getting close to the speed of light...then those tiny collisions get very energetic & hazardous to space travel.

In the galaxy, the hydrogen sometimes groups in certain "clouds", 3 of the most notorious are the following
-HI regions: They are clouds of neutral hydrogen,the hydrogen is in form of atoms
-HII regions: Also known as emission nebulae. Composed of ionized hydrogen. For example the Pelican nebula
http://www.licha.de/AstroWeb/gallery_fullsize.php3?iBPId=177&iSOId=264
-Molecular clouds: Hydrogen forming molecules

Last edited by a moderator:
meteor said:
In the galaxy, the hydrogen sometimes groups in certain "clouds", 3 of the most notorious are the following
-HI regions: They are clouds of neutral hydrogen,the hydrogen is in form of atoms
-HII regions: Also known as emission nebulae. Composed of ionized hydrogen. For example the Pelican nebula
http://www.licha.de/AstroWeb/gallery_fullsize.php3?iBPId=177&iSOId=264
-Molecular clouds: Hydrogen forming molecules

In a recent scientific american they discussed the fact that there are clouds of hydrogen entering our galaxy from intergalactic space.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by Phobos
No problem - - We like explaining this stuff.:smile:
Oh well, it is very nice of you to do that for me...I read all of what you tried to explain, Thanks alot,

Again, Thanks Meteor and Mee a lot, also. <<<smile>>>

1. What is the composition of the atmosphere in our galaxy?

The atmosphere in our galaxy is primarily made up of hydrogen and helium, with smaller amounts of other elements such as oxygen, carbon, and nitrogen. These elements are constantly swirling and moving throughout the galaxy, creating a dynamic and ever-changing atmosphere.

2. How does the atmosphere in our galaxy impact life on Earth?

The atmosphere in our galaxy plays a crucial role in sustaining life on Earth. It protects us from harmful radiation, regulates our planet's temperature, and provides us with essential elements such as oxygen for breathing and carbon for photosynthesis.

3. How does the atmosphere in our galaxy differ from other galaxies?

The composition and structure of atmospheres can vary greatly between different galaxies. Some may have thicker or thinner atmospheres, different ratios of elements, or even no atmosphere at all. The atmosphere in our galaxy is unique to our specific environment and history.

4. How is the atmosphere in our galaxy affected by cosmic events?

Cosmic events such as supernovas, black holes, and solar flares can have a significant impact on the atmosphere in our galaxy. These events can release large amounts of energy and particles into the atmosphere, causing changes in its composition and creating new elements.

5. What are some current research efforts focused on the atmosphere in our galaxy?

Scientists are constantly studying the atmosphere in our galaxy to better understand its composition, structure, and role in the universe. Current research efforts include using advanced telescopes and satellites to gather data, conducting experiments in space, and developing models to simulate and predict atmospheric changes.