Blackening a Spoon with a Candle Flame - Investigating the Results

• Thread starter nariman
  • Start date
In summary, the experiment involves blackening a spoon with a candle flame and then immersing it in water, resulting in a glossy appearance. This is due to the deposit of carbon and trapped air on the surface of the spoon, which creates total internal reflection when submerged in water. This phenomenon was a question in the IYPT 2008 and teams are expected to figure it out on their own without outside help.
nariman
Hello To Every one.
I am having a problem with an experiment...
In This Experiment,I Must Blacken A Spoon With A Candle Flame.After That,If I Immerse The Spoon In The Water,It Appears Glossy.
The Question Is Why?
I Was Hoping That Some one Could Help Me...
Thanx!

Physics news on Phys.org
It becomes black because soot, that is, carbon is deposited. It's a very loose deposit and has a lot of air trapped in it. When you immerse it in water, there is total internal reflection from the interface between air and water and the light is reflected back from the surface of the bubbles, resulting in the glossy appearance.

This is one of the IYPT 2008 questions. (www.iypt.org, International Young Physicists' Tournament) As so, the teams are supposed to work these out on their own. Answering the question here only ensures that other teams also get the answer. This is unfair to the teams that have actually experimented with the phenomenom. However having the answer isn't going to help your team, you also have to somehow prove it. I hope that no one will help you with that. So have a nice time figuring that out.

1. How does blackening a spoon with a candle flame work?

When a spoon is exposed to a candle flame, the heat causes the metal to oxidize and form a layer of black soot on its surface. This is a chemical reaction known as combustion, where the carbon in the wax of the candle combines with the oxygen in the air to produce carbon dioxide and water vapor. The black soot is a byproduct of this reaction, and it adheres to the metal surface of the spoon, giving it a blackened appearance.

2. Can any spoon be blackened with a candle flame?

Yes, any metal spoon can be blackened with a candle flame. However, the material of the spoon may affect the results. For example, spoons made of copper or silver may produce different shades of black compared to stainless steel spoons. This is because different metals have different chemical properties and react differently to heat and oxygen.

3. Why would someone want to blacken a spoon with a candle flame?

Blackening a spoon with a candle flame is often done for decorative purposes. The blackened spoon can be used as a unique serving utensil or for display. It can also be used for scientific experiments to demonstrate the effects of heat and combustion on metal surfaces.

4. What are some variables that can affect the results of blackening a spoon with a candle flame?

The type of metal, the size and shape of the spoon, the distance between the spoon and the flame, and the duration of exposure to the flame are all variables that can affect the results of blackening a spoon with a candle flame. Other factors such as the quality of the candle wax and the temperature and humidity of the surroundings can also play a role.

5. Is blackening a spoon with a candle flame safe?

Yes, blackening a spoon with a candle flame is generally safe as long as proper precautions are taken. It is important to handle the spoon with care as it may become hot during the process. It is also recommended to conduct the experiment in a well-ventilated area to avoid inhaling any fumes from the candle wax. As with any experiment involving heat, it is important to have adult supervision for children.