Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Born series expansion

1. Jan 30, 2012 #1
    Hello. I read about the born series in scattering,
    [tex]
    |\psi> = (1+G_0V+\ldots)|\psi_0>
    [/tex]
    Now when I want to move to spatial representation, the textbook asserts I should get
    [tex]
    \psi(\vec{r})=\psi_0(\vec{r}) + \int dV' G_0(\vec{r},\vec{r'}) V(\vec{r'})\psi_0(\vec{r'})+\ldots
    [/tex]
    by operating with [itex]<\vec{r}|[/itex] from the left. However I don't know how to get the 2nd term (the integral). I tried to insert a complete basis like this:
    [tex]
    <\vec{r}|G_0V|\psi_0> = \int d^3r'<\vec{r}|G_0|\vec{r'}><\vec{r'}|V|\psi_0>
    [/tex]
    however I don't know how to get [itex]V(\vec{r'})[/itex] from the second bracketed term. Any help?

By the way: is there a "nicer" way to write 'bra' and 'ket' in this forum?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2012 #2

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Introduce another unit operator in terms of the completeness relation for the position-eigenbasis. Then you use

[tex]\langle \vec{x}' |V(\hat{\vec{x}}\vec{x}'' \rangle = V(\vec{x}'') \langle \vec{x}'| \vec{x}'' \rangle=V(\vec{x}') \delta^{(3)}(\vec{x}'-\vec{x}'').[/tex]

Then one of the integrals from the completeness relations can be used to get rid of the [itex]\delta[/itex] distribution, and you arrive at Born's series in the position representation as given by your textbook.

4. Jan 30, 2012 #3
    I see. And then [itex]V(\vec{x'})[/itex] can be taken out as [itex]|\vec{x'}>[/itex] are its eigenstates and it is taken out as a scalar.
    Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook