Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The capacitance of the two metal sphere system

1. Mar 16, 2008 #1
    the capacitance of two metal sphere system

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

What is the capacitance of the two metal sphere system.

*The question has been attached shematically. All the variables are given in the attached file, there is no missing variable.

thx for any help.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 16, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2008 #2
    I thought that I could solve this problem by integration. I can divide two spheres to small circular plates as parallel to each other and consider them as parallel plates. Then, i can add them up. It ain't difficult, but it requires calculus knowledge.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2008
  4. Mar 17, 2008 #3

clem

Science Advisor

You can't do it that way. It is a very difficult problem by any method.
    You could try image, but a large number of image charges would be needed.

5. Mar 18, 2008 #4
    Capacitance of two metal sphere system

You can find the electric-field due to one sphere. Then, intagrate it from r to L-r to find the potential between spheres due to one sphere. I think the spheres must have a charge +Q and -Q, thus, potentials due to each sphere are same and total potential is two times the calculated one with integration. Once you have found an equality consists of Q and V, you can find the capacitancy by writing this equality in form of Q = C*V.

6. Mar 18, 2008 #5
    Why did you choose limits as r and L-r?

7. Mar 18, 2008 #6
    Because potential diffrence inside a sphere is zero, there is no potential difference between 0 and r, you do not need the to add potential difference between these points. And, of course, electric-field inisde sphere is zero, not depending on distance, so you can not even intagrate electric-field by choosing limits involving 0 to r and L-r to L intervals.

8. Mar 18, 2008 #7
    thx dude.

9. Mar 18, 2008 #8

pam

But the surface charge density on each sphere is not uniform.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?