The Chain Rule in n Dimensions .... Browder Theorem 8.15 - Another Question ....

In summary: Therefore, we have shown that (g \circ f) (p + h) - (g \circ f) (p) = g(q + k) - g(q). I hope this helps clarify the proof for you. Let me know if you have any other questions. Best, [Your Name]In summary, we have shown that (g \circ f) (p + h) - (g \circ f) (p) = g(q + k) - g(q), where f and g are differentiable maps and p and q are points in their respective domains. This is done by using the definitions of composition and
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Andrew Browder's book: "Mathematical Analysis: An Introduction" ... ...

I am currently reading Chapter 8: Differentiable Maps and am specifically focused on Section 8.2 Differentials ... ...

I need some further help in order to fully understand the proof of Theorem 8.15 ...

Theorem 8.15 and its proof read as follows:
View attachment 9416
View attachment 9417In the above proof by Browder we read the following:" ... ... Now

\(\displaystyle (g \circ f) (p + h) - (g \circ h) (p) = g(q + k) - g(q)\) ... ... "

Can someone please show how/why \(\displaystyle (g \circ f) (p + h) - (g \circ h) (p) = g(q + k) - g(q)\) ... ...

Help will be appreciated ...

Peter

Attachments

• Browder - 1 - Theorem 8.15 ... PART 1 ... ....png
    Browder - 1 - Theorem 8.15 ... PART 1 ... ....png
    16.9 KB · Views: 70
  • Browder - 2 - Theorem 8.15 ... PART 2  ... .....png
    Browder - 2 - Theorem 8.15 ... PART 2 ... .....png
    4.6 KB · Views: 64
Physics news on Phys.org
Peter said:
I am reading Andrew Browder's book: "Mathematical Analysis: An Introduction" ... ...

I am currently reading Chapter 8: Differentiable Maps and am specifically focused on Section 8.2 Differentials ... ...

I need some further help in order to fully understand the proof of Theorem 8.15 ...

Theorem 8.15 and its proof read as follows:

In the above proof by Browder we read the following:" ... ... Now

\(\displaystyle (g \circ f) (p + h) - (g \circ h) (p) = g(q + k) - g(q)\) ... ... "

Can someone please show how/why \(\displaystyle (g \circ f) (p + h) - (g \circ h) (p) = g(q + k) - g(q)\) ... ...

Help will be appreciated ...

Peter
It now appears to me that the answer to my question is quite straightforward ...

We have ...\(\displaystyle (g \circ f) (p + h) - (g \circ h) (p) = g(q + k) - g(q)\)

\(\displaystyle = g[ f(p + h) ] - g[f(p)]\) ...

But ... we have that ...

\(\displaystyle k = f(p+h) - f(p)\)

so that

\(\displaystyle f(p+h) = k + f(p) = q + k\)

Therefore

\(\displaystyle g[ f(p + h) ] - g[f(p)] = g(q + k ) - g(q)\) ...Don't know why I didn't see it ...

Peter

Hi Peter,

I'm also currently working through Chapter 8 of Browder's book and I can help clarify the proof of Theorem 8.15 for you.

First, let's define some notation. We have two maps, f : U \to V and g : V \to W, where U, V, and W are open sets in \mathbb{R}^n. Let p \in U and q = f(p) \in V. We also have a small vector h \in \mathbb{R}^n such that p + h \in U and q + k = f(p + h) \in V.

Now, the goal is to show that (g \circ f) (p + h) - (g \circ f) (p) = g(q + k) - g(q).

Using the definition of composition of maps, we can rewrite (g \circ f) (p + h) as g(f(p + h)) and (g \circ f) (p) as g(f(p)). Substituting our definitions of q and k, we get g(q + k) and g(q).

Next, we can use the definition of the differential of a map to rewrite g(f(p + h)) - g(f(p)) as Dg(q + k) \cdot Df(p + h) - Dg(q) \cdot Df(p).

Now, using the chain rule for differentiable maps, we can rewrite Dg(q + k) \cdot Df(p + h) as D(g \circ f) (p + h) and Dg(q) \cdot Df(p) as D(g \circ f) (p).

Therefore, we have shown that (g \circ f) (p + h) - (g \circ f) (p) = D(g \circ f) (p + h) - D(g \circ f) (p).

Finally, using the definition of the differential of a map again, we can rewrite D(g \circ f) (p + h) - D(g \circ f) (p) as D(g \circ f) (p + h - p).

Since h is a small vector, p + h - p is also a small vector and thus we can use the definition of the differential once more to rewrite D(g \circ f) (p

1. What is the Chain Rule in n Dimensions?

The Chain Rule in n Dimensions is a mathematical concept that allows us to find the derivative of a composite function in n-dimensional space. It states that the derivative of a composite function is equal to the product of the derivatives of each individual function composing the composite function.

2. How is the Chain Rule applied in n Dimensions?

The Chain Rule is applied by taking the derivative of each individual function and then multiplying them together. This is done by first finding the partial derivatives of each function with respect to each variable, and then using the product rule to find the final derivative.

3. What is the significance of Browder Theorem 8.15 in relation to the Chain Rule in n Dimensions?

Browder Theorem 8.15 is a theorem that provides a generalization of the Chain Rule in n Dimensions. It states that if a function is differentiable in n-dimensional space, then its derivative can be expressed as a linear combination of the partial derivatives of each individual function composing the composite function.

4. Can the Chain Rule be applied to any composite function in n-dimensional space?

Yes, the Chain Rule can be applied to any composite function in n-dimensional space as long as the individual functions composing the composite function are differentiable.

5. Are there any limitations to the Chain Rule in n Dimensions?

The Chain Rule in n Dimensions can become more complex and time-consuming to apply as the number of dimensions increases. Additionally, the Chain Rule may not be applicable to non-differentiable functions or functions with discontinuities.