The Classical Music Quizz

In summary: You're correct...He died in Brussels...marlonAnd how is it that the only two I knew, 4 and 9, have already been answered :cry:Sad that after taking music appreciation I had an idea for only 3 of them.Don't worry, you'll get the other ones...marlonAnd how is it that the only two I knew, 4 and 9, have already been answered :cry:Sad that after taking music appreciation I had an idea for only 3 of them.Don't worry, you'll get the other ones...I don't know about that. I'm terrible with names. I just have a few more guesses but I'm afraid
marlon
1)In which Mozart-opera does the main caracter ask : "you, who know what love is"...one of the most famous Mozart aria's edit : answered correctly

2) Which good friend from Goethe once answered "this is how my destiny knocks at my door" when Goethe asked him how he came up with a very famous intro of a symphony. What symphony are we talking about ? edit : answered correctly

3) Which Italian composer was very well known for his involvement in national italian politics ? edit : answered correctly

4)Which German composer was the very favorite of Adolf Hitler. He was a notorious anti-semite himself. edit : answered correctly

5)Which Russian composer once said this on Antonio Vivaldi : he rewrote the same concerto 600 times. edit : answered correctly

6)Which famous composer would be born in Belgium if his father did not have not moved to Germany. His family is of Belgian descent though. edit : answered correctly

7)Who is generally seen as the composer that wrote the very first opera in the Renaissance. edit : answered correctly

8)What is "die Zauberflöte" and to which purpose is this object used ? answered correctly

9)Beethoven once said : he gave me some lessons but he never really taught me anything. Who is he talking about ? edit : answered correctly

10) In which opera of Mozart do two soldiers take on a bet with an old guy to check whether their beloved women were faithful to them during their absence ? edit : answered correctly

11)"La ci darem la mano, la mi dirai di si" is a very famous aria. Who wrote it, for what opera and what is the main caracter who sings this trying to achieve here ? edit : answered correctly

12) Which famous italian opera composer died of throat cancer thanks to a very intensive smoking addiction. In what European city did he die ? answered correctly

13) Mozart had a lot of problems when he released Le Nozze di Figaro. Not only because of the content and the French origin of this play, but there was another very specific reason. What was it ?

14) Which aria containing multiple high C's (9 i belive) is considered the most difficult aria ti sing for an operatic tenor ? What opera does it come from and who wrote it ?

15) Which famous operatic caracter compares love to a wild bird that nobody can tame and that does not respect nor follow any laws edit answered correctly

good luck and no googling :wink:

regards
marlon

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
I'm a complete nullity at classical music, but I'm going to risk
4)Wagner

meteor said:
I'm a complete nullity at classical music, but I'm going to risk
4)Wagner

correct

marlon

9)Beethoven once said : he gave me some lessons but he never really taught me anything. Who is he talking about ?

Joseph Haydn (hmm, suddenly unsure about it...).

Wild Guess, 1) Don Giovanni? [I think that is how it is spelled, something like this]

And how is it that the only two I knew, 4 and 9, have already been answered :cry:

Sad that after taking music appreciation I had an idea for only 3 of them.

arildno said:
9)Beethoven once said : he gave me some lessons but he never really taught me anything. Who is he talking about ?

Joseph Haydn (hmm, suddenly unsure about it...).

nice, very correct...

marlon

mattmns said:
Wild Guess, 1) Don Giovanni? [I think that is how it is spelled, something like this]

spelling is ok, but the answer is wrong

marlon

3) Which Italian composer was very well known for his involvement in national italian politics ?
If we assume that he was active on Garibaldi's time, then the obvious choice should be Verdi, yet I haven't heard of him as particularly political.

But if we look at those working at the beginning of the 20th century, "Mme Butterfly" has some political aspects to it, so I'll go for Rossini on this one
(Hope I got matched opera and composer correctly here..:redface:

1: Voi Che Sapete Mariage of Figaro

2: No he said "Thus Fate knocks at the portals!" Ludwig von, Symphony nr V op 67 "destiny"

etc

arildno said:
3) Which Italian composer was very well known for his involvement in national italian politics ?
If we assume that he was active on Garibaldi's time, then the obvious choice should be Verdi, yet I haven't heard of him as particularly political.

But if we look at those working at the beginning of the 20th century, "Mme Butterfly" has some political aspects to it, so I'll go for Rossini on this one

MMe Butterfly was written by Puccini, and Verdi is correct

marlon

arildno said:

MMe Butterfly was written by Puccini, and Verdi is correct
You know , in those days, people used to shout VIVA VERDI and by chance VERDI stood for Vittorio Emmanuele, Re d'Italia...

marlon

Oh dear, oh dear..
Well, I like classical music, but I don't know a lot about it.. :shy:

Besides, in 1861 Verdi was elected Deputy for Borgo San Donnino and he attended the opening of the Italian Parliament...he was a great advocate of the Risorgimento...

marlon

arildno said:
Oh dear, oh dear..
Well, I like classical music, but I don't know a lot about it.. :shy:
I don't know about classical music either :shy:
Let's talk about IT.

I like rhythmmmme and bluuuuuuues...

12) - It was Puccini who died of throat cancer in, hmm, the 1920's? 1930's? Pre-war anyway.

I have no idea where he died, but I spot a common theme with some of these questions :smile:. I'm going to guess Brussels, since it's the most obvious Belgian city I can think of...

brewnog said:
12) - It was Puccini who died of throat cancer in, hmm, the 1920's? 1930's? Pre-war anyway.

I have no idea where he died, but I spot a common theme with some of these questions :smile:. I'm going to guess Brussels, since it's the most obvious Belgian city I can think of...

nice deduction, completely correct...congrats...

marlon

8)What is "die Zauberflöte" and to which purpose is this object used ?

It was a gift to Tamino from the Queen of the Night to entrance/bewitch a dragon?
(Right at the start of the opera, I think, before she became mad at him)

The trouble with this quiz is that it was clearly written by an opera freak.

Here are some quetions for non-opera freaks:

1. The first performance of this composer's most famous work could barely be heard over the booing and hissing of the audience. Name the composer and the work, and the city in which the premiere took place.(Edit: Correctly answered already.)

2. This composer could conduct, but avoided it because he was tormented by the sensation that his head was becoming detached and floating away whenever he stood at the podium in front of an audience.

3.This exceptionally famous Baroque composer made his name in England, but he wasn't born there.(Edit: correctly answered already)

4. As a child, this composer is said to have been asked what he wanted to be. Pointing to a picture of Beethoven he replied: "I want to be that man."

5. This remarkable work was said to have been commissioned by an insomniac and to have been so successful in entertaining him when he couldn't sleep that he paid the composer with a cupful of gold coins.(Edit: Correctly answered already)

6. This extremely famous composer is complained about by vocalists to this day for having no sense of how to write for the human voice.

7. This famous pianist's carrear was punctuated by an exceptionally satisfying symmetry.

8. This part of his greater "keyboard study" ends abruptly, unfinished, right after the composer introduces his own name into the music.

9. Name the Russian pianist who looked enough like Beethoven that he was rumored to be that man's illegitimate son. (Edit: correctly answered already)

10. Just about no one remembers this composer, despite the fact he was then sometimes considered a "rival" of Beethoven. He studied with the same teachers as Beethoven: Hayden and Albrechtsberger, and also with Salieri. (Edit:Correctly answered already.)

Last edited:
arildno said:
8)What is "die Zauberflöte" and to which purpose is this object used ?

It was a gift to Tamino from the Queen of the Night to entrance/bewitch a dragon?
(Right at the start of the opera, I think, before she became mad at him)

again correct...and you said you know little of classical music ?

marlon

7)Who is generally seen as the composer that wrote the very first opera in the Renaissance.
This one is bugging me.
I would have said Monteverdi, but the early/middle 17th century is hardly in the Renaissance; rather, it is Early Modern Era. :confused:

Well I don't know too much actual classical music history but I always get quizzed by my dad on classical music even though I don't know much.

(2) I could be confusing it, but is it The Requiem by Mozart and if so wasn't it "death knocking at the door". I remember seeing a documentary on the life of mozart, but there is a strong possibility that you aren't referring to that since I don't remember them mentioning Goethe in the documentary.

(5) I'm going to take a stab in the dark here and go for Stravinsky (about the only Russian composer I know apart from Rachmaninoff) :)

Let me know how I went with my two attempts haha :)

As for 2), see Andre's post 9

haha just saw that I'm an ass and I got it wrong :redface:

1. The first performance of this composer's most famous work could barely be heard over the booing and hissing of the audience. Name the composer and the work, and the city in which the premiere took place.

3.This exceptionally famous Baroque composer made his name in England, but he wasn't born there.

4. As a child, this composer is said to have been asked what he wanted to be. Pointing to a picture of Beethoven he replied: "I want to be that man."

5. This remarkable work was said to have been commissioned by an insomniac and to have been so successful in entertaining him when he couldn't sleep that he paid the composer with a cupful of gold coins.

9. Name the Russian pianist who looked enough like Beethoven that he was rumored to be that man's illegitimate son.

10. Just about no one remembers this composer, despite the fact he was then sometimes considered a "rival" of Beethoven. He studied with the same teachers as Beethoven: Hayden and Albrechtsberger, and also with Salieri.

1. Stravinsky, Le Sacre du printemps, Paris.

3. George Handel.

4. Liszt?

5. This is an incorrect legend, but
Goldberg Variations, JS Bach.

9. Rubinstein?

10. Hummel.

All correct, except #4.

(I would expect Rachmaninoff to have aced all ten quetions.)

Last edited:
5)Which Russian composer once said this on Antonio Vivaldi : he rewrote the same concerto 600 times.
Sounds like the acid tongue of Igor Stravinski
6)Which famous composer would be born in Belgium if his father did not have not moved to Germany. His family is of Belgian descent though.
The Beethoven family had Dutch origins. You're not confusing Belgium and Holland are you?
10) In which opera of Mozart do two soldiers take on a bet with an old guy to check whether their beloved women were faithful to them during their absence ?
Cosi Fan Tutti?
15) Which famous operatic caracter compares love to a wild bird that nobody can tame and that does not respect nor follow any laws
Carmen?

15) It might be Tosca, since she is willing to do everything to save her lover (and even more when she understands she's been betrayed).
Just wild speculation on my part, though..

arildno said:
Just wild speculation on my part, though..
Same here. I've never actually sat through an entire opera.

zoobyshoe said:
Same here. I've never actually sat through an entire opera.
Well I've done that; but the diction of opera singers has been carefully cultivated to match the quality of the libretto.
So, usually, one can't understand a word of what they're singing, which probably is for the best.

Last edited:
Sorry I found this late, so most of what I think I knew was already taken, but I'll give it a try anyway:

6)Which famous composer would be born in Belgium if his father did not have not moved to Germany. His family is of Belgian descent though.

If you are referring to "LVB", he was of Flemish descent: in fact, if I recall correctly, 'Beethoven' means beet-fields.

7)Who is generally seen as the composer that wrote the very first opera in the Renaissance.

The first to do so were supposedly Jacopo Peri and Guilio Caccini, however the recognized person is, if I recall correctly Claudio Monteverdi.

11)"La ci darem la mano, la mi dirai di si" is a very famous aria. Who wrote it, for what opera and what is the main caracter who sings this trying to achieve here ?

It's by Mozart, for Don Giovanni, and with it Giovanni is just being himself, trying to seduce a young lady who is about to be married.

13) Mozart had a lot of problems when he released Le Nozze di Figaro. Not only because of the content and the French origin of this play, but there was another very specific reason. What was it ?

As I recall, this opera tended to offend the Hapsburgs because of its irreverent treatment of royalty.

KM

zoobyshoe said:
Sounds like the acid tongue of Igor Stravinski

The Beethoven family had Dutch origins. You're not confusing Belgium and Holland are you?

Cosi Fan Tutti?

Carmen?

All correct and YES I mean the Flemish part because his family comes from Mechelen in the Flemish part of Belgium. It was his grandfather that moved to Bonn

marlon

arildno said:
This one is bugging me.
I would have said Monteverdi, but the early/middle 17th century is hardly in the Renaissance; rather, it is Early Modern Era. :confused:
It was Monteverdi (1567-1643) and indeed i should have written early baroc in stead of Renaissance

marlon

Only questions 13 and 14 remain.

The answer to 13 is the fact that e Nozze Di Figaro contained a ballet/dance, which was banned from opera by emperor Joseph the second. he also banned the 'encores' because of the hughe success of this opera.

The answer to question 14 is : La Fille du régiment, written by Donizetti in 1840...belcanto at its best

regards

marlon

hope you all enjoyed it...

Thanks for a great quiz, marlon.

arildno said:
Thanks for a great quiz, marlon.

you are welcome...

marlon

<h2>1. What is "The Classical Music Quiz"?</h2><p>"The Classical Music Quiz" is a trivia game that tests players' knowledge of classical music. It typically includes questions about composers, famous works, and musical terminology.</p><h2>2. How many questions are usually included in "The Classical Music Quiz"?</h2><p>The number of questions in "The Classical Music Quiz" can vary, but it typically includes around 50-100 questions.</p><h2>3. Is "The Classical Music Quiz" suitable for all ages?</h2><p>Yes, "The Classical Music Quiz" can be enjoyed by people of all ages, as long as they have a basic understanding of classical music.</p><h2>4. Can "The Classical Music Quiz" be played alone or with others?</h2><p>Both options are possible. "The Classical Music Quiz" can be played alone or with a group of friends, making it a fun activity for parties or gatherings.</p><h2>5. Are there any prizes for winning "The Classical Music Quiz"?</h2><p>The prizes for winning "The Classical Music Quiz" may vary depending on who is organizing the game. In some cases, there may be small rewards or bragging rights, but the main goal is to have fun and learn more about classical music.</p>

1. What is "The Classical Music Quiz"?

"The Classical Music Quiz" is a trivia game that tests players' knowledge of classical music. It typically includes questions about composers, famous works, and musical terminology.

2. How many questions are usually included in "The Classical Music Quiz"?

The number of questions in "The Classical Music Quiz" can vary, but it typically includes around 50-100 questions.

3. Is "The Classical Music Quiz" suitable for all ages?

Yes, "The Classical Music Quiz" can be enjoyed by people of all ages, as long as they have a basic understanding of classical music.

4. Can "The Classical Music Quiz" be played alone or with others?

Both options are possible. "The Classical Music Quiz" can be played alone or with a group of friends, making it a fun activity for parties or gatherings.

5. Are there any prizes for winning "The Classical Music Quiz"?

The prizes for winning "The Classical Music Quiz" may vary depending on who is organizing the game. In some cases, there may be small rewards or bragging rights, but the main goal is to have fun and learn more about classical music.