1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The collimated parallel beam of a LASER

Tags:
  1. May 4, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Multiple-choice question:
    The LASER beam is a collimated parallel one, that means that its photons have the same.......
    (i) phase (ii) direction (iii) intensity (iv) frequency

Attempt at a solution
    I would exclude frequency because it has nothing to do with the fact that LASER beam propagates as collimated beam. I would also exclude intensity too because...I don't know actually, but I don't think it is the correct answer.
    But both the direction and the phase are good reasons why LASER propagates as a collimated parallel beam, but I should choose only one, so please help me!

2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2017 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

4. May 4, 2017 #3

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

You can collimate the light of every light source.

It depends on how you pronounce the sentence I guess. If you highlight laser, then the phase is the important point, if you highlight collimated parallel beam (more natural I think), then it is the direction.

5. May 5, 2017 #4
    I think it is the direction, right?
    I study LASER in my course, and by studying it I came to the concept of "collimated parallel beam". So, which choice would be more suitable for this question?

6. May 5, 2017 #5

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

I would pick direction. If the format allows it, add a comment that the coherence in phase is given by the fact that it is a laser beam.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted