The collimated parallel beam of a LASER

In summary, the correct answer for the multiple-choice question regarding the LASER beam is the direction of its photons. This is because the collimated parallel beam is achieved through the direction of the photons, rather than their frequency or intensity. However, the coherence in phase is also a contributing factor due to the nature of a laser beam.
Asmaa Mohammad

Homework Statement

Multiple-choice question:
The LASER beam is a collimated parallel one, that means that its photons have the same...
(i) phase (ii) direction (iii) intensity (iv) frequency

Attempt at a solution
I would exclude frequency because it has nothing to do with the fact that LASER beam propagates as collimated beam. I would also exclude intensity too because...I don't know actually, but I don't think it is the correct answer.
But both the direction and the phase are good reasons why LASER propagates as a collimated parallel beam, but I should choose only one, so please help me!

Physics news on Phys.org
You can collimate the light of every light source.

It depends on how you pronounce the sentence I guess. If you highlight laser, then the phase is the important point, if you highlight collimated parallel beam (more natural I think), then it is the direction.

TSny said:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collimated_light
What has more emphasis here, direction or phase?
I think it is the direction, right?
mfb said:
You can collimate the light of every light source.

It depends on how you pronounce the sentence I guess. If you highlight laser, then the phase is the important point, if you highlight collimated parallel beam (more natural I think), then it is the direction.
I study LASER in my course, and by studying it I came to the concept of "collimated parallel beam". So, which choice would be more suitable for this question?

I would pick direction. If the format allows it, add a comment that the coherence in phase is given by the fact that it is a laser beam.

Likes TSny

1. What is a collimated parallel beam of a LASER?

A collimated parallel beam of a LASER refers to a beam of light that has been adjusted to have parallel rays and a consistent diameter, allowing it to travel over long distances without spreading out or diverging.

2. How is a LASER beam collimated and made parallel?

A LASER beam is collimated and made parallel using lenses or mirrors to adjust the direction and focus of the light. This process is known as collimation and is essential for creating a concentrated beam of light.

3. What are the properties of a collimated parallel beam of a LASER?

The properties of a collimated parallel beam of a LASER include a consistent diameter, parallel rays, and a high degree of coherence, meaning the light waves are in phase and have a consistent wavelength.

4. What are the applications of a collimated parallel beam of a LASER?

A collimated parallel beam of a LASER has many applications, including laser cutting, welding, and drilling in industrial settings, laser pointers, laser shows, and holography in entertainment, and laser therapy and surgery in medical fields.

5. What factors can affect the collimation of a LASER beam?

The collimation of a LASER beam can be affected by factors like the quality of the LASER source, the alignment of the lenses or mirrors used for collimation, and the quality of the material used for the collimating optics. Environmental factors such as temperature and air currents can also impact collimation.