The components of a circuit with a voltage source and 2 resistors

In summary: That is just a way of saying "figure out the equivalent resistance looking from the power supply".In summary, the circuit with a voltage source and two resistors in series has a voltage of 10V and resistances of 100 ohms and 150 ohms. The currents through each resistor are 0.04A and the voltages across each resistor are 4V and 6V. The power dissipated by each resistor is 0.16W and 0.24W, and the power supplied by the source is 0.4W. The equivalent resistance seen by the source is 250 ohms.
Hooke's Law

Homework Statement

The components of a circuit with a voltage source and 2 resistors ( series ) has the following values vs = 10V, R1 = 100 , R2 = 150. With i1 leaving the +ve vs and i2 leaving -ve vs ( i.e. i1 entering node A, i2 is entering in the opposite direction of i1 )
Find:
a) Currents through each resistor
b) Voltages across each resistor
c)power dissipated by each resistor
d) power supplied by source
e)equivalent resistance seen by the source

Homework Equations

V=iR
P= iV

P-power
i- current
R- resistance

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the circuit is in series i1=i2=is
vs = v1 + v2
vs = isR(eq)

R(eq) = R1 + R2 = 250 ohms

vs / R(eq) = is ====> is = (10v)/(250 ohms) = 0.04A

v1 =isR1
v1 = (0.04 A)(100 ohms) = 4V

v2 = isR2
v2 = (0.04A)(150 ohms) = 6 V

P1= isv1
P1=(0.04A)(4v)=0.16W

P2 =isv2 = (0.04 A) (6V)= 0.24 W

Ps = isvs
Ps = 0.4W

Is there something wrong in my calculations or concept? & what does it mean by "e)equivalent resistance seen by the source"?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

The calculations look OK.

e) is just asking for the total resistance, which you already worked out.

In this case, it is obvious, but sometimes it is important to say which point you are looking from when you talk about input resistance.
So, they say "as seen by the power supply" as if the power supply could "see" what resistance was across it.

What are the components of a circuit with a voltage source and 2 resistors?

The components of a circuit with a voltage source and 2 resistors are the voltage source, which provides the electrical energy for the circuit, and the 2 resistors, which limit the flow of current in the circuit.

How does a voltage source affect the circuit?

A voltage source creates an electric field that pushes electrons through the circuit, causing a flow of current. The amount of voltage determines the strength of the electric field and the rate of electron flow.

What is the purpose of resistors in a circuit?

The purpose of resistors in a circuit is to control the flow of current. They are used to limit the amount of current in a circuit to prevent damage to components and to regulate the amount of energy used by the circuit.

How do resistors affect the voltage in a circuit?

Resistors create a voltage drop in a circuit, meaning that the voltage decreases as it passes through the resistor. The amount of voltage drop is determined by the resistance of the resistor.

How are the resistors connected in a circuit with a voltage source?

In a circuit with a voltage source and 2 resistors, the resistors can be connected in series or in parallel. In series, the resistors are connected end-to-end, while in parallel, they are connected side-by-side. The way the resistors are connected affects the overall resistance and current in the circuit.