• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

The Difference between Acceleration Due to Gravity and the Force Due to Gravity?

• Thread starter AirHendrix
  • Start date
I have a question: What is the Difference between Acceleration Due to Gravity and the Force Due to Gravity?

I know the force due to gravity is the force of gravitation on an object on or near the surface of a celestial body but I have no idea how to describe the actual acceleration due to gravity.

I have a question: What is the Difference between Acceleration Due to Gravity and the Force Due to Gravity?

I know the force due to gravity is the force of gravitation on an object on or near the surface of a celestial body but I have no idea how to describe the actual acceleration due to gravity.
Acceleration is the rate of change in the objects velocity/speed.

The force due to gravity would be what you feel when standing up for hours at a time (weight).

Think of it like this: you are standing next to a fat guy. You and the fat guy both have the same acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), but the FORCE due to gravity is different.

Acceleration due to gravity is a constant (on surface of earth). Force due to gravity depends on the mass of the object.

Thanks alot! That really helped clarify things, God Bless your scientific gifts! :)

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving

Hot Threads