1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Difference between Acceleration Due to Gravity and the Force Due to Gravity?

1. Nov 3, 2008 #1
    I have a question: What is the Difference between Acceleration Due to Gravity and the Force Due to Gravity?

I know the force due to gravity is the force of gravitation on an object on or near the surface of a celestial body but I have no idea how to describe the actual acceleration due to gravity.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2008 #2
    Acceleration is the rate of change in the objects velocity/speed.

The force due to gravity would be what you feel when standing up for hours at a time (weight).

Think of it like this: you are standing next to a fat guy. You and the fat guy both have the same acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), but the FORCE due to gravity is different.

Acceleration due to gravity is a constant (on surface of earth). Force due to gravity depends on the mass of the object.

4. Nov 3, 2008 #3
    Thanks alot! That really helped clarify things, God Bless your scientific gifts! :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?