The difference is the force on the loop.

In summary: So the net F is the difference of the two contributions.In summary, we have an infinite wire carrying a current I2=3.6A in the +z direction, with a rectangular loop placed in the xz plane a distance d=0.9m away. The loop has height h=1.5m, width w=1m, and current I1=1.2A. Using the equations B = Iμ/2∏r and F = Il X B, we can calculate the magnetic field B and force F on the loop. By considering the perpendicular and parallel sides of the loop, we can determine that the net F is the difference of the two contributions, resulting in the equation (I
Alouette
1. An infinite straight wire on the z-axis carries current I2=3.6A in the +z direction, upward. A rectangular loop is placed in the xz plane with its nearest side parallel to the wire a distance d=0.9m away. The loop has height (z-length) h=1.5m, width (x-length) w=1m, and carries a current I1=1.2.

2. Equations
B = Iμ/2∏r

F = Il X B

F = I2(μI1/2∏d)

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using the equations, first by solving for B and plugging in μ, I1, and r=0.9

Then I used second equation and multipled I2 times that B, I got as an incorrect answer 9.6e-7

So I've drawn the diagram, but I'm missing where the height and length of the loop come into the equation, I'm certain they are part of the problem solving since I omitted them from my attempt.

I also know the perpendicular-to-wire sides of the square loop cancel out, so I need to focus on the parallel parts?...

FINAL EDIT:
Ah now I know, I needed to use this:
(I2h)(μ0I/2π(d)) - (I2h)(μ0I/2π(d+h))

My question now is why is the current of the infinite wire multiplied by the height of the square loop in this equation? Because the height is the length I assume? Just want to double check.

And also why is it necessary to subtract one F from the other?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Alouette! :smile:
Alouette said:
F = Il X B

I also know the perpendicular-to-wire sides of the square loop cancel out, so I need to focus on the parallel parts?...

… why is the current of the infinite wire multiplied by the height of the square loop in this equation? Because the height is the length I assume? Just want to double check.

And also why is it necessary to subtract one F from the other?

Your equation F = Il X B has the length (of the wire) as a vector.

The vector points in the same direction as the current, so it points up on one side of the loop, and down on the other side, so the cross products are opposite (and unequal for the vertical sides … for the horizontal sides, as you say, they're opposite and equal, so they cancel :wink:).

Q: What is the concept of "Find force on the loop"?

The concept of "Find force on the loop" refers to determining the magnitude and direction of the force acting on a loop of wire when a current is passed through it in the presence of a magnetic field.

Q: How is the force on a loop calculated?

The force on a loop is calculated using the formula F = I * B * l * sin(theta), where F is the force, I is the current, B is the magnetic field, l is the length of the loop, and theta is the angle between the direction of the current and the magnetic field.

Q: What factors affect the force on a loop?

The force on a loop is affected by the strength of the current, the strength of the magnetic field, the size and shape of the loop, and the angle between the current and the magnetic field. Additionally, the material of the loop can also have an impact on the force.

Q: How does the direction of the force on a loop change?

The direction of the force on a loop changes based on the direction of the current and the direction of the magnetic field. If the current and magnetic field are parallel, the force will be zero. If they are perpendicular, the force will be at its maximum.

Q: What is the practical application of finding the force on a loop?

Finding the force on a loop has practical applications in various fields such as electrical engineering, physics, and materials science. It can be used to design and improve electric motors, generators, and other electromechanical devices. It can also be used to study the behavior of materials in the presence of magnetic fields.